Savage 22-250: Accustock or Laminate

Bill56

Another question for you guys, since you all have more LR shooting/hunting experience than I do. Which Savage model in 22-250 would you choose:

FCV with accustock: can be had in the mid $600's

or

BVSS in laminate stock: upper $700's

or

VLP with DBM in laminate stock: lower $800's.

What I'm wondering is how the plastic Accustock compares to the wood laminate stock. Please explain your reasoning in layman's terms if possible.

BTW, when making a choice among the three above, please do not consider cost. Use will be at the range and, hopefully, pdogs.

Bill

Either will be fine. It comes down to what feels best in your hands.

However, I will offer this piece of advice. If you really want to make that 22-250 perform, make sure you get your Savage in the 1x9 twist so that you can drive the heavier, High BC bullets. ie: 75 grain V max, 70 grain VLD, etc.. They will also work fine for the lighter 55 grainers if that's what you're stuck with.

This will extend your range for p dogs sevenfold due to the wind resisting capabilities of the heavier bullets.

I have one of the older VLDs with the laminate stock and the 1x9 twist and it absolutely loves the 70 grain VLD. I used it several times to make hits out to 800 yards in varying wind conditions.

Bill,
I agree with brentc on the 1-9 twist for that .22-250. I've owned a couple of .22-250's but they were 1-14 twist, and while I enjoyed them tremedously, my next will be 1-9 (or faster).
I have never owned a Savage with the AccuStock but the concept sounds good and the rifles with them that I have handled felt solid.
I like the laminate stocks and own a BVSS and a VLP. My preference is the VLP because it feels better (of the two) to me. JohnnyK.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

I used to have a 22-250 some years ago that I wish I hadn't sold. Now, where have we all heard that one before. It was a Winchester Coyote that I had a muzzle brake made and put on by a member of my gun club who was also quite a talented smith. I don't know what the twist on it was, I didn't know much if anything about those things back then truth be told. A friend helped me work up some loads in 50 and 55 grn. Nosler BT's that shot pretty good though. We always did 10 round test groups per work-up load. They shot .5 MOA IIRC with a stock rifle at 100 yds.

I've since shot my buddy's Coyote in 22-250. His trigger seems pretty darn heavy relative to what I remember mine being. Or maybe my memory just isn't so great.

Anyway, right now I'm mostly interested in the 50-55 grainers. As long as the 1:9 twist will shoot the lighter rounds OK, I'll check it out. I've never even looked into shooting any of the heavier bullets. I'll be looking into that though if they really do hang into the wind better.

Keep the opinions coming.

Bill

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

I used to have a 22-250 some years ago that I wish I hadn't sold. Now, where have we all heard that one before. It was a Winchester Coyote that I had a muzzle brake made and put on by a member of my gun club who was also quite a talented smith. I don't know what the twist on it was, I didn't know much if anything about those things back then truth be told. A friend helped me work up some loads in 50 and 55 grn. Nosler BT's that shot pretty good though. We always did 10 round test groups per work-up load. They shot .5 MOA IIRC with a stock rifle at 100 yds.

I've since shot my buddy's Coyote in 22-250. His trigger seems pretty darn heavy relative to what I remember mine being. Or maybe my memory just isn't so great.

Anyway, right now I'm mostly interested in the 50-55 grainers. As long as the 1:9 twist will shoot the lighter rounds OK, I'll check it out. I've never even looked into shooting any of the heavier bullets. I'll be looking into that though if they really do hang into the wind better.

Keep the opinions coming.

Bill

It really is a night and day difference. The 9 twist will also be fine for the 55 grainers. It's a bit fast for 50 and below.

The heavies are where it's at, considering you can drive a bullet that carries around a .400 BC bullet at around 3300-3400 fps and get the added wind advantage, it's a no brainer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.