Savage 116 vs Remington 700

Docman90

Hello I have looked at this forum and read a lot about this topic but I have not found one with an actual beginning budget or caliber.

I want either a Savage 116 or Remington 700 in 300 win mag. The budget I have for the rifle is $625. That is the best price for Savage 116's in 300 win mag in my area. I would like to mainly use this gun for target shooting. I would like to be able to go out to my buddies property and just put out targets and shoot them from long range, he has a lot of land literally in the middle of no where the perfect place to long range shoot. I would probably eventually re-barrel it. And put a new stock on them. I know from talking to other people that Savages are getting really good at re-barreling and it really is not that expensive to do it as well and I have found excellent stocks for Savages. So I am not worried about parts as it seems that Savages are becoming easier and easier to find parts as people have said before. So i am just wondering what your advice is for good accurate gun right out of the box until i save up my money and be able to upgrade it. I am just looking for you guy's expertise on what gun is better in the price range that I have stated right out of the box until I decide i have the money to upgrade.

Thanks guys for your expertise on this caliber in those guns in this price range.

Hello I have looked at this forum and read a lot about this topic but I have not found one with an actual beginning budget or caliber.

I want either a Savage 116 or Remington 700 in 300 win mag. The budget I have for the rifle is $625. That is the best price for Savage 116's in 300 win mag in my area. I would like to mainly use this gun for target shooting. I would like to be able to go out to my buddies property and just put out targets and shoot them from long range, he has a lot of land literally in the middle of no where the perfect place to long range shoot. I would probably eventually re-barrel it. And put a new stock on them. I know from talking to other people that Savages are getting really good at re-barreling and it really is not that expensive to do it as well and I have found excellent stocks for Savages. So I am not worried about parts as it seems that Savages are becoming easier and easier to find parts as people have said before. So i am just wondering what your advice is for good accurate gun right out of the box until i save up my money and be able to upgrade it. I am just looking for you guy's expertise on what gun is better in the price range that I have stated right out of the box until I decide i have the money to upgrade.

Thanks guys for your expertise on this caliber in those guns in this price range.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! Excellent choice in chambering. Savages are hard to beat when it comes to accuracy out of the box and DIY.

This in .300 WSM but same model ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/TVMCBEe0E_4?t=1[/ame]

Good luck!

Ed

300 wm is an awesome long range caliber especially for hunting.

now for a range gun ...... recoil is pretty heavy

I think you would have a lot more fun shooting a round like the 6.5 creedmoor or even one of the 6mm.

That is one of the great things about a savage. If you find the 300 wm is more than you want to handle for the range in 20 minutes and $350 you can have a custom match barrel screwed on you action for playing on the range and save the 300 wm for hunting.

The Savage 116 is nice. But if stainless is what you are looking for in a 300 win mag, I would get the Savage 116 Bear Hunter. Come with a nice stock, flutes barrel AND brake.
The brake will really bring the recoil down when shooting the 300 win at long distances from prone position. Also the brake helps you spot your shot at long distance.
You wouldn't have to do anything to a rifle like this for a long time and might be a better deal than trying to upgrade it in the future.

The Savage 116 is nice. But if stainless is what you are looking for in a 300 win mag, I would get the Savage 116 Bear Hunter. Come with a nice stock, flutes barrel AND brake.
The brake will really bring the recoil down when shooting the 300 win at long distances from prone position. Also the brake helps you spot your shot at long distance.
You wouldn't have to do anything to a rifle like this for a long time and might be a better deal than trying to upgrade it in the future.

A brake on a 300WM is nice.
I love love love to shoot 300WM ,but it's not nearly as much fun to shoot brakeless.

If $625 is your max budget, take a look at the Remington 700 Long Range in .300 WinMag. Comes with a 1:10 twist 26" heavy barrel and a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock from the factory.

If you are willing to bump that budget, the Remington 700 5R Milspec .300 WinMag with the 26" barrel is really hard to beat for an out of the box rifle. It comes with a 5R rifled M24 barrel, all stainless, jeweled bolt, and an HS Precision stock from the factory.

If you're going to carry it in the field, the Savage is lighter - but then that usually means recoil is a bit stiffer on the shoulder.
Savage is usually less expensive. But then it has a synthetic stock where the Remington is equiped with a walnut stock.
Savage has a detachable magazine, I believe the Remington has an enclosed magazine. Having a spare magazine in your pocket makes for faster reloading than pumping rounds into an enclosed magazine one at a time.
For your purposes, I'd take the Savage.
Just for giggles, that suggestion comes from a lifetime Remington shooter.

Yep, The Savage without a second thought. And I second that on the Bear Hunter mod.116, it does have good upgrades to start right out of the box.

The only thing about that Bear Hunter is the short barrel length, Savage website says 23" barrel but they usually include the brake as barrel length, I don't know why they do that!

So unless I am wrong it may only have 21" barrel. It might not make more than 90 fps difference from a 24" barrel, but the brake is worth it I suppose.

I know for a fact that the Long Range Hunter has the same brake with a 24" barrel and also has a Kristen cheek rest.

I would like to mainly use this gun for target shooting.

Personally if my main use of the rifle was for target shooting I would not choose a 300 Win Mag unless you reload your own ammunition and don't mind heavy recoil. I would go with something in 6mm or perhaps a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington. I have bought and built a lot of rifles on Savage actions over the years but no longer do so since they caved in to a "politically correct" bunch of anti-gun folks and changed their Indian head logo to a ridiculous looking new one....so I would go with the Remington 700 or Ruger American Predator.

I have the Savage Bear Hunter. I think I paid $740 for it on Gun Broker. It was a donated rifle to the US kids Shooting Alliance or something like that. It was basically new and I love the gun. 300 wm and with the brake on it has very little recoil. I did put a cheek rest on to better align with my scope and I also switched out my bolt handle and like that a lot more. Its very accurate and as you seen in the video above can get out there with the right bullet. I would without a doubt get a .243 or 6.5 cm though over the 300wm for target shooting. Cheaper to shoot and you wont need a brake. I would even consider a .223 which I actually use a lot for practice just because its cheaper and fun to shoot plus ya gotta let that big boy cool down a bit before shooting it again. I try to do mostly cold bore shots on my 300 wm as thats my hunting rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.