Savage 116 w accustock or remington 700 with hs precesion stock

cholland

I am asking for opinions from experienced long range shooters. I currently have a Remington 700 (2006) with a hs precision stock glass bedded action, barrel free floated, timney trigger at 1.5 pounds and cpi bottom metal with detectable mag in 300 wsm with handlloads that shoot pretty good. A lot of money in this rifle. My question is I was thinking on getting a Savage 116 with accustock and accutrigger in 300 win mag. ( Will handload ammo as well). The rife is going to be an all purpose longe range hunting rifle. Is the Savage a downgrade from what I have now? What say you. gun)

I would never downgrade myself in such a way, but I am also a 700 snob, and don't like Savage.

Atleast there is honesty in my bias...

the Remington stock sucks on a good day, and I use one. I have not used that particular Savage stock so I can't say anything about it faults or good parts. But if it's shaped like a regular rifle stock in the forend, it won't ride the bags well. The Savage varmint stock does better than 90% of the factory stocks, and it also has it's problems. I'd simply go with an aftermarket stock. Have yet to ever see a bipod that was worth two dollars, and all have their on set of multi issues.

I'd go with a good flat bottomed forend stock that was as parallel to the centerline of the bore as possible. Forget the monte carlo crap, and opt for a good strait stock to fit whatever action you choose. Yet for off hand shooting, I like the Remington stock shape the best. Just feels good off hand, but not much else. The Remington bedding system sucks on a perfect day, and I'm not all that impressed with the Savage pillar setup as well. It's easier to make the Savage right than the Remington in my book, and I've done both. Both rifles can be made to shoot well, but it's a lot more work with the Remington than the Savage, plus a lot more dollars. Tobe exact, I'd go with a Howa 100% of the time before even considering the Remington asn it's a better gun outta the box.
gary

the Remington stock sucks on a good day, and I use one. I have not used that particular Savage stock so I can't say anything about it faults or good parts. But if it's shaped like a regular rifle stock in the forend, it won't ride the bags well. The Savage varmint stock does better than 90% of the factory stocks, and it also has it's problems. I'd simply go with an aftermarket stock. Have yet to ever see a bipod that was worth two dollars, and all have their on set of multi issues.

I'd go with a good flat bottomed forend stock that was as parallel to the centerline of the bore as possible. Forget the monte carlo crap, and opt for a good strait stock to fit whatever action you choose. Yet for off hand shooting, I like the Remington stock shape the best. Just feels good off hand, but not much else. The Remington bedding system sucks on a perfect day, and I'm not all that impressed with the Savage pillar setup as well. It's easier to make the Savage right than the Remington in my book, and I've done both. Both rifles can be made to shoot well, but it's a lot more work with the Remington than the Savage, plus a lot more dollars. Tobe exact, I'd go with a Howa 100% of the time before even considering the Remington asn it's a better gun outta the box.
gary

I disagree, all seven of our Remingtons wear their factory stocks, five wooden, and two "Tupperware." If you know how to free float and bed one right, it'll shoot with a custom. Half MOA is easily obtained after trigger tune, free float, bedded, and handloads. I use to not like bipods either, until I really started practicing with a Harris bipod and it works great once I got accustomed to it. The only reason I wouldn't buy a Savage is because I'm a die hard Remington man and don't care for the look and feel of a Savage. I also don't like Howas. Why buy a Japanese made rifle when there are American made ones like Remingtons that are made here by American workers and are better. Honestly, if I was cholland, I would get a new Remington 700 Long Range in .300 Winchester. They are under $700 and have a 26" heavy barrel and a B&C M40 stock.

Brace yourself for the opinions that you're about to receive. :cool:

I told you! :rolleyes:lightbulb

Geteducatednotopinionated_zpsbdf363d6.jpg

cholland,

You sound like a reasonable person that is open minded. Something at least prompted you to consider the alternative. If you want a real shooter out of the box with the best bang for your buck, Savage is very hard to beat ... http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/right-out-box-76570/index4.html
sticker375x360_zps62e2ed84.png

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I'm a Savage fan for sure and shoot a 116 in 25-06. The Savage 116 will only have a 22 inch barrel and a magnum contour, which won't make that great of a long range rifle. But in your case I don't know why you are wanting a 300 WM when you have a accurate 300 WSM?

I don't think there is enough performance change to warrant it. What's the bottom line need?

I'm a Savage fan for sure and shoot a 116 in 25-06. The Savage 116 will only have a 22 inch barrel and a magnum contour, which won't make that great of a long range rifle. But in your case I don't know why you are wanting a 300 WM when you have a accurate 300 WSM?

I don't think there is enough performance change to warrant it. What's the bottom line need?

Probably just want to add it to the inventory ...

You're right...My opinions have no educated background behind them......

:rolleyes:

lightbulbSharing one's opinions is not the same as being opinionated.lightbulb

Prime example ...

Attachments

• thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg
    thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 101
So I have the 116 in a 6.5er. It shoots well..1/2 inch groups. This is were I stopped at with my load. It has a 24inch barrel that is a mag contour. Its a stainless model. Barrel is floated, the stock seem to be stiff enough, it has the full length aluminum bedding block and the trigger is can be adjusted. I have mine at factory setting but it seem to be right about 2.7 pounds (measured) which is fine for me. Down fall of the savage seems there are not a lot of aftermarket parts like there is for Rems. I have another friend in Texas with a savage 243 and it shoot almost 1 hole groups. Price wise I think the 116 is right in there with most the other rifles of similar options. Another rifle to look at is the REM long range hunter. I have not purchased one but the store that carries them that I go to the guys that own them like them very well after a bead job has been done. They call it the poor mans sendero. As for the savage Accu stock, I do like the feel or the grip part on the stock, its not too bulky, also it has a nice recoil pad from the factory. I don't think the action is no where near as smooth as a Remington but it works. I think you really need to handle a lot of different gun types before buying and see what you like. There was not that many offerings for the 6.5 when I bought mine. Would I buy another...very much yes...Only down fall is I wish they offered a 26 inch barrel in the 7mag or the 300win mag then I would really like the rifle a whole lot more. I think this is my only complaint is it does not have a 26 inch barrel.

Thank you for the input. I think I'll stay with my loaded Remington. My though was just I guess wanted the best rig for reasonable money. Not wanting to spend 4 k on rifle alone.And in rerernce to Remington snobby. I guess I'm a little snobby too. So I'll embrace it.

Thank you for the input. I think I'll stay with my loaded Remington. My though was just I guess wanted the best rig for reasonable money. Not wanting to spend 4 k on rifle alone.And in rerernce to Remington snobby. I guess I'm a little snobby too. So I'll embrace it.

lightbulbSorry my bad!lightbulb

cholland,

You sound like a reasonable person that is open minded.

Feenix, I have to ask you, how many of your 4,000+ posts do you feel are relevant or helpful? You have five already on this thread and I would say potentially one is helpful. You used to provide some good information for people, but lately it seems you do a lot of what you are doing here. Maybe it's time to read Leadership Rule #2 in your signature?

To the OP, I think your thoughts are on the right track. If you already have a shooter, why reinvent the wheel and work on potentially getting another? If you want another rifle, maybe try a savage in a different caliber? Just an idea. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.