Savage 116 vs Remington 700

I have the Savage Bear Hunter. I think I paid $740 for it on Gun Broker. It was a donated rifle to the US kids Shooting Alliance or something like that. It was basically new and I love the gun. 300 wm and with the brake on it has very little recoil. I did put a cheek rest on to better align with my scope and I also switched out my bolt handle and like that a lot more. Its very accurate and as you seen in the video above can get out there with the right bullet. I would without a doubt get a .243 or 6.5 cm though over the 300wm for target shooting. Cheaper to shoot and you wont need a brake. I would even consider a .223 which I actually use a lot for practice just because its cheaper and fun to shoot plus ya gotta let that big boy cool down a bit before shooting it again. I try to do mostly cold bore shots on my 300 wm as thats my hunting rifle.

and a 300 mag with a brake is going to be very unpleasant for anyone nearby. Make sure you have excellent hearing protection

Thank you guys for all of your advice on this rifle it seems to be 50/50. I shot my buddies 300 wm and loved it so that is why I wanted one myself. I would hunt with it too and carrying a heavy rifle really does not bother me, done that with my friends rifles. I also plan on reloading my 300 win mag. My Brother in laws father reloads 338 lapua for target shooting so I am going to ask and pick his brain for some of his reloading tactics and advice for reloading heavy calibers for maximum accuracy. Thank you once again for all of your advice on this. i am already enjoying this forum and look forward to picking your brains in the future.

Doc

When you go the 700 route (nothing wrong with the idea), you pretty have to plan on having the action trued. Their barrels are a crap shoot at best. Still sometimes you get a hummer, but all too often you get a tomato stake. Still out of the box it's a start.

Shooting 1000 yards pretty much tells me your shooting off a rest or bags. None of the rifles mentioned prior ride the bags very good at best. The Savage 112bv stock does a pretty good job for a factory stock. Still a McMillen Edge is what's the best start. Other wise think Shehane.

Both the 700 and the Savage flex all over the place. You want a single shot bolt action! Savage did one in the long action Use a steel rail mount, and dowel pin the mount to the action. A steel rail bedded and pinned will stiffen up the action about 30% if done right.

I think a 300 Win mag would be the last place to start. I'd go with a 6.5/.284, or even a 6.5/06. Recoil will be far less, and the bullet selection is far better. Either one is easy to do, and very accurate. Might also think about a plain jane .280 Remington. You can get 7mm bullets with a .62 B/C, and that's a light year better than a 178 grain 30 caliber. I'd simply hunt up a single shot Savage 112, and a .280 barrel.
gary

You say you want to upgrade in the future.
If you go 700 long range, you will not need to upgrade stock which in my experience is between a 200-700 dollar investment.
The majority of custom actions are a variation of the Rem 700 action.
Either action will need trued upon re-barrel, (don't know of a gunsmith that re-barrels without doing so) though savage has a better rep. for having straighter actions than rem.

Last edited:
You say you want to upgrade in the future.
If you go 700 long range, you will not need to upgrade stock which in my experience is between a 200-700 dollar investment.
The majority of custom actions are a variation of the Rem 700 action.
Either action will need trued upon re-barrel, (don't know of a gunsmith that re-barrels without doing so) though savage has a better rep. for having straighter actions than rem.

Years back I checked three Savage actions I own and two or three others. Checked each action three times with three different methods. Results were close enough to each other to say good enough. All the actions came in between .00125" / .0018" compound error. In the same time frame I checked two Winchester actions, but doubted my accuracy due to the shape of the receiver. So I ran both across a CMM machine like I did the three Savages as a last step. The best one was out close to .012", and the other was close to .015". I checked a 700 action I had plus two others that friends had. Your looking .008" / .010". I got mine down to .00085" with some elbow grease and some serious four letter words. But also ended up with an odd ball thread diameter. I never found away I was particularly happy with to check the bolt. I ended up making a block that allowed the bolt to rest on four tooling balls. Still not all I wanted.

Never been in love with a Remington barrel. Not exactly overjoyed with a Savage as well, but they are better than the Remington. I've still not found a good Winchester barrel, and the typical Ruger is a small fraction better (Ruger cuts better chambers), but their throats are usually too long.
gary

Because of Savage's floating bolt action ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/x51SwCZCHCA?t=2[/ame]

... it can get away with just squaring the action face only, but definitely never hurts to do the other phases/steps.

[ame]https://youtu.be/ue3rOgZOm6g?t=1[/ame]

My last Savage project, my gunsmith said my action only needed squaring the action. He's right as it is quite the shooter, esp. when the "NUT" behind the trigger does his part. :D

I have always been a 700 guy. Over 40 years of it.

What recently attracted me to savage was the results I am seeing on the range with out of the box rifles

and the final straw was the ease of changing barrels. You can have one rifle stock/action and multiple barrels without sending it off to a gunsmith and waiting a year for it to come back to you. By then I have forgotten why I built that rifle.

If you are the do it yourself type, and I am, this is the gun for you. Much like building AR's but simpler. Lots of upgrades available to experiment with.

I have a two target actions, a 6BR and a 6.5 creedmoor barrel and a laminated long range benchrest stock. Thinking of adding a McMillian A3 stock and a 6.5 saum and 300 wsm in sportster contour barrels and use those for long range hunting rifles.

My go to hunting rifle is a custom built 700. My range playtoys are adding savage to the list.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.