Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 Win.

[ QUOTE ]

They have a bona fide place in shooting, and sell like lemon aid in the Sahara.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't question that at all. I actually like the .308.
I was just wondering why almost every "varmint" rifle is chambered in .204, .223, .22-250, maybe .243, then a big jump way up to .308 ??
It would kinda be like selling "squirrel rifles" in .17HMR, .22LR, and .30-06, wouldn't it?

[ QUOTE ]
The only difference pointed out ot me between the Rem 700 PSS and the 700 SPS Varmint was the stock and the finish matte blue as opposed to parkerized. The PSS has the H S Precision stock on it. The barrels have the same 1 in 10 twist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both barrels have a 12" twist.

That is good because I just put mine on an order/layaway plan. So it should come with the 1 in 10 twist. That was what I wanted anyway. To stabilize the heavier bullets 160 to 200 grn.

Does anyone know if you can add weight to the rear stock? I handled an SPS today and with the heavy barrel and really light stock it felt extremely muzzle-heavy. Adding some lead to the rear stock would balance it out nicely and tame it down to pussycat level to shoot.

I have found a M700VS that is slightly used or I can get a new SPS Varmit. I would get into the SPS a little cheaper, but supposedly the VS has not been fired much at all. I know the HS is a better stock, but I would likely have it skim bedded anyway. So if I did that or I glassed the SPS or a Pillar bed/glass bed on the SPS if practical, would one stock then be as good as another in function? If so, I would at least know that the SPS has a new barrel. Thanks!

Do we all agree that the 1-10 would be better for 165gr. BT
through 175MK/178A-Max? I am looking at a M700VS with the 1-12 or the new SPS Var. with the 1-10. Thanks!

nomosendero,
After handling the SPS just yesterday, I can honestly say that the stock felt like a piece of crap that you'd find on a cheap BB gun. It may be perfectly functional, but it danged sure felt cheesy. I'm a fan of laminated wood stocks, though, so none of the plastic and fiberglass stocks really turn me on, regardless of quality or price.
If you're gonna be tinkering and upgrading in the future, though, you may as well get the cheaper one to start with....

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.