Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 Win.

It's the same barreled action as the police model, just has a crappy stock. If you went on ebay and bought the police stock you would have the same gun. So yeah it's a good gun.

a friend of mine bought one in .243 we relieved the barrel channel and tuned the trigger put leupold scope and it shot a .200 group with 105gr. bergers. i would say that is hard to beat!!

I picked one up in 223 for gophers and it shoots very well. I floated the cheesy stock and adjusted the trigger and it puts everything into .5 moa. For 500 bucks, not bad.

Thanks for the info, it looks like I made the right decision because I put it on layaway today. I like it very well. Can't wait to get it outfitted and to shoot it.

roninflag: The trigger is easy to adjust. There is only one adj. on the new pro mark x. it's the set screw right above the actual trigger w/ the shoo goo on it. just get the goop out and back the screw out to get trigger lighter.

<font color="blue">Here is a target from my SPS Varmint 243 Win which I think is one heck of a rifle for the money:</font>

031707A.jpg

I picked one up in .223 the day they were in stock at Cabelas. I sold the stock and X-Mark Pro trigger on ebay and ended up with a barreled action for about $375. I purchased a take-off HS Precision stock for about $200 and a 2oz Rifle Basix trigger for $100 and ended up with a REAL tackdriver for about $675. It will absolutely one hole most loads.

I love mine. I'm thinking about getting another one in .243. The only downside to them is the parkerized finish. I refer to mine as the Remington 700 Express. It's the same finish as the 870 express.

I've got a general question about the 700 SPS Varmint rifle (and most other "varmint" rifles)......Since when did a .308 become a varmint caliber? Ain't it a little big for varmints. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue">According to the Remington Website, SPS rifles are 'Matte Blue". My rifle looks like was sand-blasted then blued -- definately doesn't look parkerized.

Someone told me it has a hammer-forged barrel but I haven't been able to verify that yet -- anyone know the answer?</font>

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a general question about the 700 SPS Varmint rifle (and most other "varmint" rifles)......Since when did a .308 become a varmint caliber? Ain't it a little big for varmints. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you have BIG varmints. Many are sold to police departments for BIG varmints.

They are also used for "F" class shooting by folks that want an affordable rifle to "try it", before sinking $3k in a custom rig.

And they are used for a basic rifle for beginners trying High Power match shooting.

They have a bona fide place in shooting, and sell like lemon aid in the Sahara.

The only difference pointed out ot me between the Rem 700 PSS and the 700 SPS Varmint was the stock and the finish matte blue as opposed to parkerized. The PSS has the H S Precision stock on it. The barrels have the same 1 in 10 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.