REMINGTON 700 P LTR IN .308 WIN

magnum

I'm from Australia and new to this site.

I thought I'd ask for members' views of the Remington 700 P LTR rifle in .308 Win. I see from some of the tacticle forums it's got quite a following there. I like the light weight (7.5 lbs), pity about the 20" barrel but in .308 Win it may not be too much of a disadvange in this calibre. I like the calibre (have one in a light weight Winchester pre 64 M70 featherweight and it shots good for what it is). I'd probably mainly shoot paper at long range ("F" class).

Cheers & God bless,
Magnum

Charles,

Thanks. Yes I tend to agree with you. Though even the Marines own sniper rifle, the M24 with a 24" barrel, has an offical recommended range of between 400 to 800 yards.

Although the RE figures of the LTR in .308 may leave a bit to be desired past about 600 yards, I read that the 20" fluted barrell produces sensational accuracy, and superior to that of the 26" barrelled standard P model. I read there is a CA SWAT guy who shot a 3 shot 2" group at 700 yards with one.

There is more information on this at http://www.clcweb.net/Shooting/Tactical_Shooting/Tactical_Rifles/tactical_rifles.html

Cheers and God bless,
Magnum

The 308win (my god I'm going to P some people off with this), is really an 800yrd round. Yah we push it to 1,000 or maybe even more, but its on the down hill past 600yds. For the average sniper, for an honest 1st round hit( as in 80% probability) 6-700 yards.

As for the LTR being more accurate the the PSS, I've heard that, but I'm not that impressed with the average PSS either. The LTR will probably serve you well, just understand its limitations.

BTW, the Marines sniper rifle is the M40A1 and M40A3. The Army has the M24.

Charles,

Thanks. I tend to agree with you more like a 600 yard rifle. Thanks for the correction on the Marines sniper rifle.

Cheers & God bless,
Magnum

I bought an LTR in .300 SAUM. I was thinking that the larger and faster .300 SAUM would make up for the shorter barrel. I have not shot it yet, as soon as I recieved it, I sent it to the Chandlers at Iron Brigade Armory. I should be getting it back in couple of weeks. I held an LTR and a Sendero at the same time. For me it was the LTR hands down. I treestand hunt whitetails primarily and honestly my farthest shot would be 500 yds., with most shots being 200 yds and less. I just fell in love with the little LTR!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.