700 Long Action, WSM, SAUM, 308 Win, etc. Magazine Option

martinakl

I just acquired a 6.5 SAUM built on a long action Remington Model 700. It came as a BDL with factory bottom metal. It worked somewhat OK. It seemed like there's a better option. The cheapest option that would probably do the most improvement was the Wyatts center feed box. That seems to be your cheapest bet.

I wanted something that wouldn't allow the cartridges the ability to move forward and back so much. I wanted something with a "block" in the magazine, similar to what a Remington 700 SA 223 would have. Kind of a "medium length" magazine.

Well, I found it:
https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/d...ngton-700-detachable-magazine-conversion-kit/

It's the "long action with spacer" down towards the bottom. I could only find it one place, StockyStocks.com:

https://www.stockysstocks.com/h-s-p...er-guard-assembly-remington-700-bdl-only.html

(Top option. "AP308 Assembly 6.5x284")

I figured it should work, the 284 Win IS the original WSM and case dimensions aren't too different.

I didn't have to do any mods to the feed lips or anything
Holds three cartridges
Cycles perfectly
Allows up to a 3.1" COAL, in case I want to try the 160 Matrix bullets or something similar in the future.

It dropped right in to a HS stock (of course). Should work with most BDL stocks. It was slightly too wide to fit in the magazine well of a McMillan stock I have. It would only need minor sanding in the well area to open it up. HS notes this might need to be done. Not the floor plat area, the part up inside the magazine area.

I even tried some 308 Win in it. That kind of works but you'd want to bend the lips in just a little, so they don't "pop" out. Once I got for round in there the spring pressure wanted to push the 4th one out.

Attachments

• IMG_1747.jpg
    IMG_1747.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1748.jpg
    IMG_1748.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1749.jpg
    IMG_1749.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1750.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.