700 VTR .308 Win review

Definitely, do not waste your money doing any upgrades to the factory stock. If you just take it off the gun you can probably get about $40 for it in the classified section.

You're better off going the way that bowhunthard did and replace the stock with a B&C, HS etc.

Why cut the brake off? The barrel is already pretty short and the rifle has a reputation for being a tack-driver anyway.

My "circumcised" VTR shoots Nosler 150 grain spitzer tip partitions 1/2 MOA & one of those partitions harvested my buck this fall.

The finished job:

1) action pillar bedded

2) the barrel free floated

3) the ridiculously redundant "Star Wars" muzzle brake amputated and the muzzle recess crowned 1/4"

4)Timney trigger installed

5) Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm scope installed

I'm not rich like you guys ..........I can't afford to throw a stock away..........if it doesn't work I make it work.

011.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

Last edited:
My "circumcised" VTR shoots Nosler 150 grain spitzer tip partitions 1/2 MOA & one of those partitions harvested my buck this fall.

The finished job:

1) action pillar bedded

2) the barrel free floated

3) the ridiculously redundant "Star Wars" muzzle brake amputated and the muzzle recess crowned 1/4"

4)Timney trigger installed

5) Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm scope installed

I'm not rich like you guys ..........I can't afford to throw a stock away..........if it doesn't work I make it work.

I probably spent less than that lol :). I bought my stock for $125 (used of course :)). Then all the other upgrades... most were on sale though.

Why cut the brake off? The barrel is already pretty short and the rifle has a reputation for being a tack-driver anyway.

The muzzle brake is a useless noisemaker and since it is vented it contributes nothing ballistically to the effectiveness of the firearm. It is an extra 2" of barrel length & weight to drag through the tag alders. Removal also results in less barrel for the bedding to support.

Also if you dremel off the contact points & rout out the barrel channel to free float the barrel the upward facing vents of the brake will cause the barrel to bottom out forcefully and destructively on the barrel channel with each shot & destroy any glass or pillar bedding.

The forward contact point prevented the destructive bottoming out on the barrel channel so in order to remove all contact points and free float the barrel the brake had to come off.

The muzzle brake is a useless noisemaker and since it is vented it contributes nothing ballistically to the effectiveness of the firearm. It is an extra 2" of barrel length & weight to drag through the tag alders. Removal also results in less barrel for the bedding to support.

Also if you dremel off the contact points & rout out the barrel channel to free float the barrel the upward facing vents of the brake will cause the barrel to bottom out forcefully and destructively on the barrel channel with each shot & destroy any glass or pillar bedding.

The forward contact point prevented the destructive bottoming out on the barrel channel so in order to remove all contact points and free float the barrel the brake had to come off.

That's a good point, especially with the factory stock. I tried to use my factory stock but mine was warped and couldn't have been free floated without removing almost the whole one side of the barrel channel. The most important thing is "does it shoot?", and it sounds like it does!

I free floated mine, did same, just worked on it some more. I bedded it then fit 2 cut heavy carbon arrows down the honey comb and filled w/epoxy, took out the flex problem.Topped it w/6-20x50 od burris. Best shot so far coyote at 540 yrd. mine is 223

I free floated mine, did same, just worked on it some more. I bedded it then fit 2 cut heavy carbon arrows down the honey comb and filled w/epoxy, took out the flex problem.Topped it w/6-20x50 od burris. Best shot so far coyote at 540 yrd. mine is 223

Kudos

Here's a man with his thinking cap on.lightbulb

I'll keep that in mind if my stock decides to go limp d_ _k on me sometime in the future.

So far it's holding up great.

Knock on wood.....er I mean plastic.

Now that's a good idea! Somethin to try for next time.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.