remington 700 sendero questions

I have had some of the same questions with my 7mm RM Sendero that you are dealing with. By fooling around with bedding, triggers, reloading , and barrels i've taken a out of the box rifle that was subMOA rifle and made it a 1.5MOA RIFLE. Fortunately it is back to 1/2moa. When I look back at everything I've done the biggest highpoints I believe are
1)reloading is by far the best investment. Lots of fun, lots of different bullets and overall much cheaper. @50 dollars a box or $250/100 I would have spent a thousand dollars in the last 7 months at least.
2)practice with rimfire to get basics down
3)cut the foam down some in the pelican case :)

I have about 5 years under my belt shooting a remington .270 and as for the pelican case.. i was at school at the time and as u can see there was snow on the ground and didnt want to cut the foam outside.. since than i have cut around the rifle nicely.

I find this thread very interesting. I just found this forum and joined because I am thinking that I want a 7mmRUM. I hope to find more info on reloading info. I am looking at getting the Remington 700XCR. Would/could this rifle be very accurate out of the box? I have a 7mmRM now but am wanting something different. I usually hunt mule deer and elk. I figured I could use either of these calibers for pretty much any big game in NA.

I find this thread very interesting. I just found this forum and joined because I am thinking that I want a 7mmRUM. I hope to find more info on reloading info. I am looking at getting the Remington 700XCR. Would/could this rifle be very accurate out of the box? I have a 7mmRM now but am wanting something different. I usually hunt mule deer and elk. I figured I could use either of these calibers for pretty much any big game in NA.

For the purpose of accurate NA hunting, I would move toward a shorter fatter catridge like the 7mm WSM. The XCR could be accurate out of the box with ample shot spacing, but it's only good for two back to back clean shots. After that of course, the barrel will be too hot to do any good at long range. Also, the 7mm WSM is a short action, which means an overall lighter rifle.

TEX

the sendero rifles are very accurate out of the box.. at 100 yards my holes touch each other.. dont get the 7mmRUM though.. i have only heard bad reviews. the barrel burns out real fast. the 7mm RM or 7mm WSM would be better options

I already have a 7mmRM. I bought it when I was 17. I was looking for something new. I figured why not get something with long range capabilities. I was thinking of a 300wsm but does not seem much different than the 7mm I have. Though I would like to keep the rifle lite and smaller.

the 7mm mag is a very good long range shell... i read an article on long range cartrages and here are what they are

7.62x54R
7.62x51/.308 Winchester
6.5x55 swedish mauser
.260 remington
6.5 creedmoor
6.5-284 Norma
7mm Rem Mag
.300 Win Mag
.338 Lapua Mag
and the .50 BMG of course

.308 is a very popular model

for accurate long range out past 1000 yards i would suggest the .338 lapua mag

the 7mm mag is a very good long range shell... i read an article on long range cartrages and here are what they are

7.62x54R
7.62x51/.308 Winchester
6.5x55 swedish mauser
.260 remington
6.5 creedmoor
6.5-284 Norma
7mm Rem Mag
.300 Win Mag
.338 Lapua Mag
and the .50 BMG of course

.308 is a very popular model

for accurate long range out past 1000 yards i would suggest the .338 lapua mag

Would you take a shot at elk past say 600yds with a 7mm Rem Mag?

Would you take a shot at elk past say 600yds with a 7mm Rem Mag?

I am not sure on that one.. the round def has alot of energy at range but i dont have exp shooting at those distances yet.

i recently purchased my sendero 7mm ultra mag. my scope is still at leupold but once i get it back i will be resighting it in.. this summer i will be taking 500+ yard shots with it but i have to wait till november to try it on deer.

before tryinga 600+ yard shot i would make sure you are comfortable shooting at that range and have a perfect shot. would sure hate to havea bad shot at that range and have a wounded elk run.

The 7mm mag is quite capable of this. It's just way outdated in the BR world. I like it a lot, but the short action is almost a must for me. If you looking for light and easy handling, it's sure hard to beat the 260.

TEX

listen, this conversation just goes on and on.
obviously some guys think 5 or 6 hundred yards is long range.
and it is, no doubt.
but if your interested in killing large animals like elk, at long distances, especially over 1000 yds. you need a big cartridge.
to hell with barrel life, it cost money to play.
replace it every 5 or 10 years, so what?
if you want to be a target shooter, get a 308. if you want to kill elk at long distances, get a rum, at least.

listen, this conversation just goes on and on.
obviously some guys think 5 or 6 hundred yards is long range.
and it is, no doubt.
but if your interested in killing large animals like elk, at long distances, especially over 1000 yds. you need a big cartridge.
to hell with barrel life, it cost money to play.
replace it every 5 or 10 years, so what?
if you want to be a target shooter, get a 308. if you want to kill elk at long distances, get a rum, at least.

You don't seem to give very good advice. Who the heck shoots a 308 for BR anymore? No one too impressive comes to mind.

Elk aren't monsters by any means. I've culled Texas cows with a 17 Rem, and killed six bulls in NM with a 243 and 100 gr. partitions.

And there are plenty of good short action cartridges for big game.

Therefore, if you can't say something nice, or something wholly intelligent, don't say nothin at all...

TEX

roughneck,
i dont believe i said benchrest.
the 308 is in fact a very popular target cartridge, even for 1000 yd. competition. im talking prone matches.
im also of the opinion a fair ammout of them are used in f class competition. ive seen large steers and hogs killed with a single 22 long bullet, right in the ear.
probably about what you did with those elk.
but i would ask you to look at the list of cartridges offered, and give your opinion.
certainly a 7 mag would do well at 600, maybe more.
but what if he shows up at 1000 or 1100, would you not shoot?
the rum doesent weigh any more to carry on your back does it?
sort of like comparing a half ton pickup to a 1 ton.
they both work untill you need a 1 ton.
now see i can be civil at times, but next week sombody will ask the same question.

Yobuck,

I drive a 3/4 ton....so I can't say much on the trucks...

However, I just don't think you need a cannon for any job. The 1000 yard shot would be the cap for any 7mm bullet, and I would go ahead and bypass the 30s and go to a 338.

I own a 338 lapua on a cz magnum action. It will shoot accurately to almost a full mile in light winds; however, it's a lot of gun to carry.

The 7 RUM is an all-around heavier gun than the 7mm WSM when compared in the same make and model. Heavier action, heavier rifle, heavier bullets... but I'm a big guy and don't mind.

On the other hand, the answer to the "which gun" question can always be answered very simply. A guy only needs two rifles.... one at or below .257 and one above .257.... provided that he is very comfortable shooting each of them...

Furthermore, this is irrelevant to any discussion because the kind of guys (like me and i will assume you) that can hit an elk at a dime are 100% guaranteed to own more than two rifles... probably closer to 30 or 40 rifles... therefore, we've got more to choose from.

I still stand by my decision that if a guy could have one rifle to bust an elk with at 600-1000... better make it a WSM.

TEX

roughneck, .
we seem to be pretty much in agreement, although we could have an argument over the 1000 yd. max with the 7mm.
some damned good bullets available nowadays, and some cartridges capable of sending them.
certainly the 338 has become a very popular bullet.
not much bullet selection however when compared to 30 cal.
the 300 gr. in a big case like the 378, or 416 is undoubtedly king of the hill beyond 1500 yds.
your probably shooting 250s in order to get velocity in your lapua.
dont bet any money on it when compared to the big case 30 calibers, cause youll lose.
beyond about 1200 that things gasping for air. likewise the wizzum.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.