Reloading Press Help

DoneNOut

RCBS Summit press toggle snapped. Apparently, this is a common break. RCBS sent me a new toggle and "upgraded bolts".
Now, I've read this will happen again. (One account was a guy going through 5 toggles he claimed) I really like all the other features of the press and if I can keep it from snapping the toggle I will be a happy camper.

Couple options I thought about:

1. Replace the two separate linkage bolts where it meets the toggle.
2. Weld a small plate across the cutout section of the toggle where it is the skinniest and common failure point.

Will any of these two, or both combined, be of any help?

Summit Press:
IMG_0270.jpeg

Where the failure point exists:
IMG_0271.jpeg

Yellow arrow one piece bolt through
Red arrow a rectangular piece of steel welded on:
IMG_0272.jpeg

Last edited:
1. If the toggle snapped, doubt that replacing with "upgraded" bolts will do anything if design strength is weak there. Did the bolts break? Assuming this is the failure you are describing.
2. Maybe, but you could easily experience brittle failure in the heat affected zone of the weld and break just as quickly or sooner.

Takes special skills to weld on cast iron. I am NOT a welder
Either poor metallurgy in casting process or weak design
Only true way to make it stronger is replace that whole piece with machined steel.
Just an opinion. I do not own a summit, but I do have a RC IV for almost 40 years without issues.

1. If the toggle snapped, doubt that replacing with "upgraded" bolts will do anything if design strength is weak there. Did the bolts break? Assuming this is the failure you are describing.
2. Maybe, but you could easily experience brittle failure in the heat affected zone of the weld and break just as quickly or sooner.

Pics uploaded

How about JB Weld a small plate across the 1/2 moon cutout area?
The bolts did not break.

RCBS Summit press toggle snapped. Apparently, this is a common break. RCBS sent me a new toggle and "upgraded bolts".
Now, I've read this will happen again. (One account was a guy going through 5 toggles he claimed) I really like all the other features of the press and if I can keep it from snapping the toggle I will be a happy camper.

Couple options I thought about:

1. Replace the two separate linkage bolts where it meets the toggle.
2. Weld a small plate across the cutout section of the toggle where it is the skinniest and common failure point.

Will any of these two, or both combined, be of any help?

Summit Press:
View attachment 478027
Where the failure point exists:
View attachment 478028
Yellow arrow one piece bolt through
Red arrow a rectangular piece of steel welded on:
View attachment 478030
I would have one made of steel. Take your part to a fabricator shop. Get a patent number & sell the upgrade. Become a millionaire. lol

Adding a JB welded plate will make it stronger. How much benefit? Tough to say. Agree a machined piece is a better option beefed up in that area. That said, unless u are doing it yourself or have a buddy, it may cost a good bit. If your new piece breaks again, might be a good time to call RCBS and see if they are redesigning the part and can send you a piece beefed up at their expense, not yours.

If your new piece breaks again, might be a good time to call RCBS and see if they are redesigning the part and can send you a piece beefed up at their expense, not yours.
I had this conversation with RCBS. They are not admitting it is a "known problem". I told her I could send pictures of multiple Summit presses that broke exactly like mine. She replied they could send a new toggle and bolt upgrade, so I was at their mercy. The upgraded bolts have less threading on the ends to prevent over tightening of the bolts and unwanted threading damage inside the cast holes. So the instructions say, don't know if it will help.

A machined piece would be awesome, but yeah, at what expense and trouble?

Is it cast iron or cast steel?
Cast steel is fairly easy to weld, cast iron is not.

If it was me, I'd get their replacement part then sell the press to someone who maybe only does small cartridges so maybe won't have an issue.
It's cast iron. I wouldn't sell knowing it has this defect. I might just have an expensive decapper and bullet seater press.

I got an RCBS rebel press as a backup waiting for these parts to arrive. It has its own issues, like the press handle on the down stroke is literally at my shins with it flush mounted to the bench. Got a 4" inline fab mount coming for it. Never expected this much trouble with single stage presses in 2023!

Both bolts are in single shear, so the toggle reacts by flexing in that failure area. Probably cast iron construction so it isn't flexing much before breaking. A plate stock replacement and machined to replicate the toggle would help, but still in single shear, so the bolts would take the brunt.
Bad design. By the time you rebuilt it, it would be better money to buy a different press.