Help newbe select a reloading press.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by encoreguy, Sep 26, 2006.

1. encoreguy

encoreguy Well-Known Member

I am new to reloading and I am collecting my components. I am not a high volume shooter and never will be so speed is not an issue. Precision is the number one concern for me. I want to start out at a modest priced model to see if I like reloading before shelling out big bucks on a better press (like a Forster Co-Ax). Right now I am leaning toward a Lee Classic Cast or RCBS Rockchucker. The Lee runs $60 and the Rockchucker runs $108. I thought that I could save the approx. $50 and use it to buy better dies or other accuracy tools? What are your thoughts.

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

For that budget I'd use the Rockchucker but its worth the extra money to get a Co-Ax now , they are awsome very accurate ammo very quick die change their worth every penny. buy one now for $180 and you'll have saved yourself $100 next year when you want to replace the RCBS.

But realy the RCBS and Redding single stage presses are great , I still use a little RCBS Partner press a good bit for

3. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

I agree with JDJones.

4. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

i have the rockchucker and like it. start with at least the rockchucker and save yourself some $$ in the long run

5. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

I have a RCBS but would recomend a Lyman...

6. duckinalaska

duckinalaska Well-Known Member

Hey bud,
    I just do this stuff for fun. I use the rockchucker.

7. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

encoreguy

I have an extra Forster Coax press that I will sell for $120 plus $10 shipping.

8. Reloader

Reloader Well-Known Member

I like the Classic Cast. I like it better than the RCBS actually. The other Lee presses aren't the greatest by any means but, they've put out a pretty nice single stage w/ the new CC.

Get the Lee and have extra $ to get some other components as well.

Reloader

9. Fulldraw™

Fulldraw™ Well-Known Member

Rockchucker!!! But, then again I'm very fond of the Redding Ultramag also.

10. RogerK

RogerK Active Member

I have a RCBS RS 2. I purchased it back in the 60s. It's been a heck of a good press. A few years ago I purchased a Partner press so I could set up my seating die and not have to switch dies when I went from sizing to seating. Know what I know now, I'd buy the Partner press and not the larger press. It does the job just as easy. And yes, I have sized with it. A big press is kind of like having a 600 horse motor in a car driven in a town like NYC. Nice to have, but not really necessary.

11. cinch

cinch Well-Known Member

If you will be loading large cases, Rockchucker Supreme.

12. pinetree100

pinetree100 Member

I started reloading with a Lee reloading kit (challenger press) and although it's not the greatest press, I managed to put together some good loads. I have recently upgraded to the Lee Classic press and like it.

Get the Lee Classic, you can always upgrade later, or have a press to dedicate to one operation.

13. keithcandler

keithcandler Well-Known Member

A few years back, someone gave me a lee press. I was going to sell it and just for grins, I thought that I would try it out. The acid test for all presses is full length sizing large cases, especially cases that have been fired in an auto down to a min spec chamber. I picked up some 7 Mag brass off the range and tried to resize the brass on the Lee press. I got about 10 cases sized with great effort and then the handle broke on the Lee press...total loss.

If you are going to get into reloading, I would suggest that you buy a good top end press a RCBS Rockchucker, or a Redding, sorry to say that I have yet to try a Bonanza. I can't speak of the lyman, not familiar with them. I use a Rock Chucker and full length size the Magnum cases with ease. At my rifle range shack, I use a RCBS Jr just to seat bullets with when I am doing load development at the range, and a Huntington Press press to seat bullets when I travel to other ranges.

It is a real double barrel bitch to full length size cases with the RCBS Jr, and I mean if feels like you are going to pull the bench off the wall.

I highly suggest that you go on ebay and buy your press, you will have great savings.

Good luck and best wishes on your new adventure!

14. Reloader

Reloader Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    A few years back, someone gave me a lee press. I was going to sell it and just for grins, I thought that I would try it out. The acid test for all presses is full length sizing large cases, especially cases that have been fired in an auto down to a min spec chamber. I picked up some 7 Mag brass off the range and tried to resize the brass on the Lee press. I got about 10 cases sized with great effort and then the handle broke on the Lee press...total loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

You apparently haven't seen the new Classic Cast.

I prefer it to a Rockchucker any day.

The cheap Lee presses aren't even in the same league as a classic cast.

I tell you what, I'm so confident in their new press I'd pay you $1000 if you could break the handle out of it on sizing any case you can fit in it. It's a whole different animal than the cheap presses they sell.

Reloader