Reload

Thanks guys I will take some pictures and post them ASAP but this has only happen with the new brass I have some 2 times fire brass and no problem
He's had case head separation, definitely not normal.
Please understand that I'm not trying to be rude, deeming, or condescending by any means. But you and your friend might need to take a step back and fully investigate this situation, especially the Lapua. If it were me I'd get the chamber checked for headspace. And then I'd get get a tool to measure your case whether it be a RCBS precision mic or one of the case comparators like suggested earlier. I'd rather hurt someone's feeling than see or hear of someone getting hurt.

For the tight fitting cases, could be a few different things.

Like others have said, shoulders not bumped back enough. Have to use a headspace guage to check that.

Could be case OAL is too long, and the neck is hitting the end of the chamber.

Could be bullet ogive contacting the rifling. Just because COAL is the same, doesn't mean CBTO is the same. Different lots of bullets could have different measurements. Need a comparator with a .308" insert to check this. Might want to check a round that seats fine against a reload that doesn't to see if there is a difference.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be rude, deeming, or condescending by any means. But you and your friend might need to take a step back and fully investigate this situation, especially the Lapua. If it were me I'd get the chamber checked for headspace. And then I'd get get a tool to measure your case whether it be a RCBS precision mic or one of the case comparators like suggested earlier. I'd rather hurt someone's feeling than see or hear of someone getting hurt.
Agreed! This is one of the reasons I roll my own. I am never in a rush when reloading, and I do a 100 percent check on every cartridge loaded as noted in #2. When determining seating depths, I go with the best compromise between CBTO and COAL (https://bergerbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/COAL.pdf) for my magazine clearance.

This one of the tools I use for those instances noted in #2.

Redding competition shell holder.JPG

Redding competition shell holder- actual.JPG

Last edited:
Hi I have a friend that reloads for my 30 nosler and he loaded me a 100 and I had him to reload another 100 but when I got them they was very hard to turn the bolt and take the brass out I chEcked the Oal and they was the same and the same brass and 195 matcHKING GREEN TIPED BULLET so I'm not sure what's going on and he doesn't ether any advise thanks TT.

With the "anything firearm" shortages I managed to find a shop over in Smethport Pa that sells used brass in the store. I ran into the same problem as you with some brass not allowing the bolt on my wife's Reminton 700 to close easily.
I tried bringing the resizing die down a bit, (RCBS), but it didn't help at all. I came to the conclusion the previously owner had a larger chamber, and neck sized only with those few.
You would think the resizing die should return the brass to factory specs, but apparently it's not always the case.