To reload or not to reload?

archp625

I have four center fire rifles that I could reload for. I have a .300 WM, .270, 6.5 Creedmoor, and a 30-30. I shoot the 30-30 maybe once every few years. Its a pre64 that's more of a safe queen. All these guns shoot sub MOA with factory ammo. I maybe throw 100 rounds down the tube each year with the others.

I mainly shoot sporting clays during the spring, summer and early fall and I am an avid waterfowler.

Do you think its worth the investment with my typical year?

Thanks for your opinion.

If I shot no more than you do, given your rifles shoot well enough with factory ammo, I wouldn't reload. I personally enjoy reloading and developing different loads for different rifles for specific purposes.....its both relaxing and rewarding to me! Reloading properly takes a lot of time and unless you enjoy it and shoot a lot, its not worth it in my opinion!

Reloading doesn't save me money, it is more for my satisfaction. You have to look at the time and money involved and see if you will enjoy it. I have several hundred hours in my reloading for several rifles. From sitting in my reloading room to sitting at the bench testing loads, then going back home, tweaking a load, then going back to the range. Etc.
You get the idea.
I really enjoy it though!

I bet if you start reloading, you'll find you shoot more rounds per year.....at least it's that way for me! I enjoy the process and tweaking a lot, so there's a benefit there for me as well......do you know anyone that reloads? If so go try it and see if you enjoy it first. I think most people that do it, don't do it for cost savings......

If you are not setup for reloading and shooting no more than what you listed for your rifles, then I wouldn't waste the money to get started.

All good responses. My problem is I am a jack of all trades, master of none. I fish a bunch in the spring and summer and have a 6 month old that takes up pretty much all my time. I was a chemist for 12 years prior to my current Regulatory position.

I know the chemist and perfectionist side of me would love it. Its just the initial cost.

I do have a follow up question. You guys that do reload. Once you find the perfect round, powder, bullet combo do you stick to it or is this a forever tweaking thing?

I usually pick a bullet for the life of the rifle, until.... something new comes out. Lol.
I just get another rifle play with. Lol
I do however, try to have two bullets/loads for one rifle, just for component availability concerns.
Like, my Creed I have a 140 RDF and 130 Berger hybrid load that I feel confident enough to use either.
285 ELD and 300 OTM Berger for Lapua, 208 ELD and 225 ELD for Win mag. Etc.

Last edited:
As for loading other bullets and such, it's really up to the individual. For me when I find one or two loads that really work well for a particular rifle I stay with the load and work on my shooting abilities. This helps me make first round hits on distant targets more repeatedly.

I have a friend who is the opposite. He loves to try many different powders and bullets and finds several loads his rifle likes. He can makes nice groups off the bench but the groups don't end up in the same place on the target for the same load. This tells me his technique isn't consistent.

As said above if you reload you will shoot more. I am a scientist by profession and the load development part is what I love doing. It can be very rewarding and frustrating at the same time. If shooting factory ammo at sub moa, I have to try and beat it with hand loads! I was out of hunting and shooting actively for about 20 years but when got into reloading it became almost addictive! I have ended up buying a few rifles because once I get a load perfected I need a new challenge. Also as others have stated above I will try to work up loads with at least 2 bullets and powders just to have availability. The initial cost can be a little restrictive but if not in a hurry, watch for sales and rebates on equipment.

Reloading bullets is a disease! Don't catch the bug or you'll be in trouble. I have reloaded since I was 13 and don't remember the last time I fired a factory round. I have loaded 10,000 plus rounds and find myself liking it more all the time. In post #3 I think gohring hits the nail on the head on how reloading is for me. Its very satisfying to shoot an itty bitty group and know that you made the ammo that did it. JMHO

Your rifles are chambered for very popular common cartridges that even in trying times quality commercial rounds can generally be found with some hunting around.

I load for some obsolete cartridges that I enjoy hunting with to include 6.5X54MS, 32 Remington and 350 Rem Mag. Handloading these is the only realistic option. I also load the 6.5 RPM and 375 H&H. Factory ammunition for these rounds starts around $100 a box. So it's more economical for me to roll those myself. And, as long as I have all the tools, well why not load for all the common, contemporary cartridges I own too? It is an addiction that appeals to many.

The last thing I would note is if you're a handloader and have well stocked your components when the market normalizes again, in time like these, you'll have ammunition when the stores don't.

Reloading doesn't save me money, it is more for my satisfaction. You have to look at the time and money involved and see if you will enjoy it. I have several hundred hours in my reloading for several rifles. From sitting in my reloading room to sitting at the bench testing loads, then going back home, tweaking a load, then going back to the range. Etc.
You get the idea.
I really enjoy it though!
☝️this….

Tidus56, you got me beat. I started at age 14. On my own, and nobody to help. Figure it out with a 300 H & H Mag Rem 721. I then move on to a 220 Swift and 25/06. Then turn into having rifles built for me petty much after that. Some factory rifles, but generally have barrels changed out at the start. Was shown how to let in an action into a stocks. Being left hand that kind of open up a new world for me. Taught my sons how to reload. It's been fun and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am presently stepping into a new world and tighten up my groups a bit. Redoing my reloading equipment presently to get into the very low ES, ED's. I am re-loader that push the bullet down the tube looking for velocity and accuracies. It gave me a very wide range combination of bullets, and types of powder to shoot.
If somebody is going to get into reloading now. It's a pain, because of the lack of components available presently. That's in most type of firearms. Rifles, Pistols, and Shotguns. I feel that will change again, and things will open up. Just when not for sure. Do a lot of reading, before getting reloading equipment. The sky is the limit.
Every time I take an animal it's with hand loads, and I know it's me that place that bullet with my loads.

Recent Posts