To Reload or Not to Reload ...

It has me hooked, it started when those three reloads went into one whole. I couldn't get enough, then my dealer ran out of my powder.... I found myself traveling 100 miles just to get my fix, paying way more than I should to get it off the internet. The primers dried up once, and the withdrawal dang near killed me.... I ran out of 223 brass Saturday, and so far it's not got to me yet, just a little shake. But I know if I don't go to the range and at least get some range brass, I'm going to be in big trouble...

Is that even a real question?

Attachments

• 14890_700x.jpg
    14890_700x.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 129
How much my time is worth

Always get a puzzled look on my face when I read " How much is your time worth?" for this hobby.

Re: How much my time is worth

Always get a puzzled look on my face when I read " How much is your time worth?" for this hobby.

I agree. Hobbies are what you do in your spare time. So if you have spare time for hobbies, how is it that particular time would be worth more if you were to be doing anything else? :rolleyes:

When I get $20/box factory ammo that shoots sub-moa and is consistent up to 500 yards, I don't handload. Yes, it's possible.

When I want to make something you can't get in a factory load due to combination or scarcity, or the thought of paying $70 a box or more for factory Weatherby ammo bothers me, then I handload.

4 deer this year, my girls shot theirs with factory loads but Dad and I got ours with handloads I developed last year. One elk taken with muzzleloader after trying multiple bullet/sabot/primer combinations to get the best accuracy and speed, the MZ equivalent of handloading.

I'm happy with all of them.

Just do it. If you don't love the process, you will love the results.

I haven't shot a factory round (other than 22LR) in 25 years. When I get a new rifle the thought of shooting factory ammo never enters my mind, the dies get purchased with the rifle. Maybe this mythical good shooting factory ammo exists but I don't care, I'm not at all interested in shooting factory ammo in any of my rifles.

I haven't shot a factory round (other than 22LR) in 25 years. When I get a new rifle the thought of shooting factory ammo never enters my mind, the dies get purchased with the rifle. Maybe this mythical good shooting factory ammo exists but I don't care, I'm not at all interested in shooting factory ammo in any of my rifles.

Same here. Ever since I started reloading and spending this much of my hard-earned money on all my reloading stuff, I ain't gonna let it collect dust to go buy $80 a box factory ammo. As a matter of fact, I have 4+ boxes of $80/box factory ammo (for more than 1 caliber) still sitting in the top of my safe because I don't even feel the desire to shoot "sub-par" mass manufactured ammo. I keep it because I might need the brass one day. :cool:

I first got into reloading (less than a year ago) to save money because I enjoy shooting high power rifles.

But I end up shooting so many rounds while on that search for the most accurate load, I really haven't saved any money at all. In fact most of the shooting I do now revolves around testing either new loads or new "theories" that I read about.

Accuracy is addicting and I know that I certainly have not saved any money since I started reloading.

However I'd rather be listening to the radio while reloading than sitting on the couch watching a crappy sitcom any day.

"Might as well be doing somethin' while you're doing nothin'..."
-Uncle Rico (Napoleon Dynamite)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.