To Reload or Not to Reload ...

I haven't shot a factory round (other than 22LR) in 25 years. When I get a new rifle the thought of shooting factory ammo never enters my mind, the dies get purchased with the rifle. Maybe this mythical good shooting factory ammo exists but I don't care, I'm not at all interested in shooting factory ammo in any of my rifles.

I have but it is usually plinking with historic rifles. When I shoot those I think about the women and men who gave so much so I can.

I understand both points of view. I have many calibers here that I reload for and enjoy shooting...I also just brought online a Win Mod70 in 300 Win Mag that at this point I dont intend on reloading for. If I can find a brand and model factory round that satisfy s me accuracy-wise then Im not about to reload for it. I doubt that is after getting it zero'd in that I will shoot 20 rounds a year out of it. Its not a caliber I can use at home here and Im physically Incapable of taking a trip westward for elk or ( whatever)

So as the old saying goes...there are two sides to every coin!

I understand both points of view. I have many calibers here that I reload for and enjoy shooting...I also just brought online a Win Mod70 in 300 Win Mag that at this point I dont intend on reloading for. If I can find a brand and model factory round that satisfy s me accuracy-wise then Im not about to reload for it. I doubt that is after getting it zero'd in that I will shoot 20 rounds a year out of it. Its not a caliber I can use at home here and Im physically Incapable of taking a trip westward for elk or ( whatever)

So as the old saying goes...there are two sides to every coin!

Yes, you are.... The outfitter I just had for my Montana hunt is handicapped / old fart friendly......:D

They can provide a sit on your arse hunt or a physical one, your choice. I chose the in between one. I'm 66 and all my parts don't work that well anymore and I had a helluva time and bagged a nice hefty mule deer buck, a non typical 6 point btw.

I was all about helping gut it and get it loaded and I was told to stand back and let the guide handle it. Back at camp they handled everything including the skinning and beheading (I'm getting a shoulder mount). I did nothing but watch and ride to town to the processors and the taxidermy shop.

Right now, it's in the freezer all packaged and cut and the head is still in Montana at the taxidermist, looking at July for a completion date.

Couldn't be happier and I'll book this outfitter again. very accomidating. .

I stayed in a new house with 3 of my associates. All meals were cooked (including breakfast) and plenty of entertainment from the other 6 hunters that were there as well.

Age and/or physical condition has little to do with it, so long as the outfitter is quality and understands your limitations.

I think my wife's only detraction (to the whole thing) is when I put my wet tumbler on the kitchen counter and plug it an. Kinda noisy, sounds like a washing machine and it irritates her to some extent. Then when I 'borrow' her dehydrator' that makes it even worse.

We all know how wive's are......:)

I think my wife's only detraction (to the whole thing) is when I put my wet tumbler on the kitchen counter and plug it an. Kinda noisy, sounds like a washing machine and it irritates her to some extent. Then when I 'borrow' her dehydrator' that makes it even worse.

We all know how wive's are......:)

I just bought one of these, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet... It might help alleviate some friction between you and the wife... :cool:

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Brass Dryer

if the dryer is as good as the rotary wet media tumbler that FA sells (and I have), it's a winner.

Might lessen the tension a bit. I can have my own 'dehydrator' then....lol

Probably can use it for jerky too.

Yes, you are.... The outfitter I just had for my Montana hunt is handicapped / old fart friendly......:D

They can provide a sit on your arse hunt or a physical one, your choice. I chose the in between one. I'm 66 and all my parts don't work that well anymore and I had a helluva time and bagged a nice hefty mule deer buck, a non typical 6 point btw.

I was all about helping gut it and get it loaded and I was told to stand back and let the guide handle it. Back at camp they handled everything including the skinning and beheading (I'm getting a shoulder mount). I did nothing but watch and ride to town to the processors and the taxidermy shop.

Right now, it's in the freezer all packaged and cut and the head is still in Montana at the taxidermist, looking at July for a completion date.

Couldn't be happier and I'll book this outfitter again. very accomidating. .

I stayed in a new house with 3 of my associates. All meals were cooked (including breakfast) and plenty of entertainment from the other 6 hunters that were there as well.

Age and/or physical condition has little to do with it, so long as the outfitter is quality and understands your limitations.

I know there are guides that DO drag "handicapped" individuals out into the winderness...I just havent ran across them as of today. I'll be 67 at the end of this month and have COPD so mtn climbing is definitely OUT for me.

A guide service as you describe is what Im looking for!

I just bought one of these, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet... It might help alleviate some friction between you and the wife... :cool:

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Brass Dryer

I have purchased a few Frankford Arsenal items and always feel a little weird... Because I don't tend to buy the cheapest of the cheap stuff. But I've been 1000% happy with all of them so far. Especially the case prep center. I also got their digital scale for $30. Every time I've checked the measures against my RCBS beam scale it is right on the money.

But my Caldwell and Wheeler products have been good-to-go also, no complaints. (Same parent company I believe).

I have purchased a few Frankford Arsenal items and always feel a little weird... Because I don't tend to buy the cheapest of the cheap stuff. But I've been 1000% happy with all of them so far. Especially the case prep center. I also got their digital scale for $30. Every time I've checked the measures against my RCBS beam scale it is right on the money.

But my Caldwell and Wheeler products have been good-to-go also, no complaints. (Same parent company I believe).

The dehydrator / dryer is on my bucket list....

I was a doubting Thomas about the wet media tumbler from FA (because of the price compared to the STM / Thumlers unit) but my fears were unfounded. It works just as well, has more capacity, is more user friendly and just plain works well.

It's unusual to get something for less that does more today. I give it 5 stars.

Not sure about Wheeler and FA but my Wheeler Fat Wrench works just fine too.

I'm so happy with the FA tumbler, I did a review for Graffs.

I know there are guides that DO drag "handicapped" individuals out into the winderness...I just havent ran across them as of today. I'll be 67 at the end of this month and have COPD so mtn climbing is definitely OUT for me.

A guide service as you describe is what Im looking for!

I sent you a PM.....

The only ammo boxes I'll use are Frankfords. I have a couple of MTM's, but they just seem cheap and bulky. The lids of the Frankford boxes are a bit more brittle and a couple of mine have broken off chunks over a couple years of being toted to the range and to the hunting camp and back, but they are alot smaller and more compact... And most costing less than $5.00 each, it is really hard to pass up buying the Frankfords over the other brands that can cost alot more.

I have a Wheeler FAT Wrench as well. I use it more than I ever thought I would...Scope rings, scope bases, action screws, gas block set screws, handguard screws, and numerous other household fixes...like ceiling fans, door knobs, working on guitars, fishing reels, etc... It is worth every penny.

I've got a few Caldwell products, too. And they seem good quality for the price, as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.