Reload

Tommy T

Hi I have a friend that reloads for my 30 nosler and he loaded me a 100 and I had him to reload another 100 but when I got them they was very hard to turn the bolt and take the brass out I chEcked the Oal and they was the same and the same brass and 195 matcHKING GREEN TIPED BULLET so I'm not sure what's going on and he doesn't ether any advise thanks TT.

Hi I have a friend that reloads for my 30 nosler and he loaded me a 100 and I had him to reload another 100 but when I got them they was very hard to turn the bolt and take the brass out I chEcked the Oal and they was the same and the same brass and 195 matcHKING GREEN TIPED BULLET so I'm not sure what's going on and he doesn't ether any advise thanks TT.
Tommy T - my bet is that the shoulder has not been bumped back quite far enough in the resizing process (possibly just neck sized). It is also possible your rifle needs the case body resized (full-length/body die) in order to chamber properly. So, yes OAL can be the same as previous, but - after firing - case dimensions increased somewhat and need to be set back - usually at least 0.002" at shoulder. If your friend doesn't have a headspace tool (ex: Hornady Headspace Comparator), he can resize your fired brass in increments (same case) - testing ease of chambering - from current die setting, then turning sizing die in/down by 1/4 to 1/2 turn each time until very slight or zero resistance is felt when closing the bolt. Hope this helps

Last edited:
I agree with Saskquatck6, turn your sizing die in 1\8 th turn

When the 30Nosler case enters a FL die it typically lengthens the headspace until the die actually pushes the shoulder back. If the die isn't adjusted down far enough to move the shoulder back you could experience excess headspace that would cause tight chambering.

Setting up the FL die requires a headspace gauge that allows you to see exactly where the shoulder is on a new case, a fired case and a resized case. Alternatively, you could use the rifle itself to test fit brass as you incrementally adjust the die down.

Last edited:
If I had 200 cartridges that wouldn't fit i would try a Redding body die to try and set the shoulder back to fit the rifles chamber if that is the problem. Pull a bullet and size the case like varmint hunter said. The Hornaday head space measuring tool and a set of Redding competition shell holders make sizing your cases properly a lot easier. Good luck with your hand loading.

When you size, the case body is squeezed first, this elongates the case prior to the shoulder being pushed back. This is your problem, had the same issue when I was a novice loader 30 years ago.
Now the cases are loaded, you will either need to pull the bullets or get a body die and size the brass again.

Cheers.

good info guys! I had the same problem some years ago with a 30-'06, in the field, hunting and a long way from home! No Bueno for sure!!

Hi thanks for all the help out guys on my 30 nosler. Now I have a mother problem with my 338 lapua brass it's new brass and when I fire it the shell has a very small ring on the brass right above the bottom of the rim has anyone had this happen to you and I even had 2 of them come apart ,any at vise?

The Lapua has a headspace problem, either in the chamber or the brass has had the shoulder pushed back much to far during sizing.

I bet the ring he mentions is the expansion ring. It is very noticeable on Rigby sized case heads.
My 416 Rigby brass has a very pronounced expansion ring, this is normal.
A bright shiny WIDE ring is an incipient case head separation indicator.
A pic would show us the issue.

Cheers.

Thanks guys I will take some pictures and post them ASAP but this has only happen with the new brass I have some 2 times fire brass and no problem