REL EQUIPMENT QUESTIONS

älg

I am in need of upgrading my reloading equipment, but before getting into unnecessary stuff and expenses, would apreciate the member´s input on the following:

- trimming: currently using a hornady trimmer; thinking about the Wilson, already asked about it once and everyone recommended it, although is it worth buying a new one?

- deburring: does it make sense to use a deburring tool specific for VLD bullets? Is the Wilson better than others?

Would this be another point to buy a wilson trimmer, so that their deburing tool can be used here? Or is it better to go with an ordinary deburring tool and buy a power drill adaptor?

- priming: is there a noticeable difference in using a hanheld priming tool instead of the ordinary one in the press (hornady).

- Case sorting by neck wall uniformity/thickness: I am currently using a rcbs case master for checking RO, it can be used for reading case wall thickness, but in my opinion it is not too accurate, I was thinking about the Sinclair neck thickness variation-.uniformity gauge. Anyone tried it ?

- Sorting bullets: which is the definitive bearing surface reader/ device, and who sells it ?

- Wilson seating dies (say for a 6,5-284): I understand you din´t need a press or arbor press, but is it easy to use and to change seating depth? Does it make a difference with using a redding comp seating die?

Thanks.

I just got my Sinclair (Wilson) ultimate trimmer. It not only does the trick, it makes it a lot of fun. I got the power attachment and use my cordless drill. I also got the chamferring tool. Sweet. If you don't have the $139, save up until you do. The micrometer attachment makes it SPOT ON.

Sinclair Ultimate Trimmer

alg,
I would highly recommend using an arbor press if you intend going the wilson seating die route, in the old days this type of die was struck with a mallet in order to carry out the operation, something i am sure you would not want to do with your new seating die, especially if you have the micrometer adjustable bullet seating stem. which works the same way as the seater on the Redding comp seating die.

For the same price as Grp B Redding Comp dies here in the UK, Sinclair can supply me with a complete set up of wilson dies, bushing, arbor press, die base and micrometer seating stem, thats including shipping and duties. Oh, and redding bushings are interchangeable.

Can't agree more with the wilson trimmer, but personally i use a K&M services hand turned 17 degree VLD chamfer tool, to cut just enough chamfer to start the bullet smoothly.
Although you can use it with an electric screwdriver i am not to keen in chamfering under power.

When i was loading huge quantities of pistol ammo some 15 years ago i was dissatisfied with the ram prime on the press but instead of going the usual handprime route i bought a RCBS Benchprime and can honestly say it is the best piece of reloading equipment i have ever used. Several of my shooting buddies have changed to this tool after trying mine, there is no effort involved and very precise seating can felt through the handle.

Sorry, but can't help you with the neck thickness gauges, i clamp the mandrel from my neck turner into a vee block and slide it under a Dial Test Indicator on a surface plate for my measuremants. Hope this helps.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

[ QUOTE ]

I am in need of upgrading my reloading equipment, but before getting into unnecessary stuff and expenses, would apreciate the member´s input on the following:

- trimming: currently using a hornady trimmer; thinking about the Wilson, already asked about it once and everyone recommended it, although is it worth buying a new one?

<font color="blue">I use the Wilson trimmer for all my calibres, very precise, easy to ajust and am about to justify to myself the micrometer atachment. This system cuts the neck at exactly 90 degrees to the case, holds the case securly when trimming is taking place and is very well made. They are not a great deal of money for the quality and precision you get. </font>

- deburring: does it make sense to use a deburring tool specific for VLD bullets? Is the Wilson better than others?

<font color="blue"> I use a Holland VLD trimmer for a light pass on the inside and a scotchbrite pad to remove any burs after that - again a light pass only. </font>

Would this be another point to buy a wilson trimmer, so that their deburing tool can be used here? Or is it better to go with an ordinary deburring tool and buy a power drill adaptor?

<font color="blue"> I have never had a problem with hand de-burring and don't feel the need for the Wilson attachment. </font>

- priming: is there a noticeable difference in using a hanheld priming tool instead of the ordinary one in the press (hornady).

<font color="blue"> I used to use the primer seater on my Dillon, but found that I / it could "crush" primers a little. I now use a Lee Autoprime and will probably never use anything else - unless soemone wants to buy me the Sinclair Primer Seater! </font>

- Case sorting by neck wall uniformity/thickness: I am currently using a rcbs case master for checking RO, it can be used for reading case wall thickness, but in my opinion it is not too accurate, I was thinking about the Sinclair neck thickness variation-.uniformity gauge. Anyone tried it ?

<font color="blue">I use a ball micrometer and it is slooow work </font>
- Sorting bullets: which is the definitive bearing surface reader/ device, and who sells it ?

- Wilson seating dies (say for a 6,5-284): I understand you din´t need a press or arbor press, but is it easy to use and to change seating depth? Does it make a difference with using a redding comp seating die?

<font color="blue"> No Knowledge sorry</font>

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> You are welcome </font>

First of all I would ask your self WHY you are in need of upgrading your reloading equipment?
Next question how big of a deal is money?
Case trimmer: I would not bother to upgrade. I do have a
wilson and to me it is nice to be able to
debur even and concentric. I would think more
gains would be had elsewhere.
Debur: When I ordered by VLD deburer I asked which
one was better. I was told no differance has
been found between the two. I chose the VLD
because it more closly hatches the taper of a
boat tail. But I steel wool the bevel
reguardless to smooth out for seating. I
would not worry about your deburrer.
Priming: I dont uniform pockets,to much trouble.
Sorting: This is where I would spend more time before
upgrading equipment. I would sort and
weight, neckturn to about .003 clearance.
Which means necking down brass if needed to
get correct thickness and length necks.
Priming: I hand prime just because I feel it is easier
and faster.
Sorting bullets: You can do this if you wish but is
probably a waste of time.
Dies: I would not upgrade until determine how well
your loaded ammo is comming out. What is
your gauge telling you when you check cases?
Spend a little time trying to adjust your
dies to reduce runout.
Gauge: Go buy a piec of precision drill rod
probably 5/16 and check your gauge, if its
reading off send it back to manufacture. If
they cant get it to read correctly then tell
them to refund your money to buy one that is
actually accurate to their specs. I have
heard the sinclairs are good. I dont own a
concentricity gauge. I will either make one
like theirs or buy theirs.

Thats just my .02 from a novice reloader.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.