Reloading equipment question

Hi Steve, I did 3 months of reading about reloading before I even pulled the pin & bought my kit so my 1st bit of advice is don't rush, do some research & reading up about the process, what the various tools do.
Maybe even buy a decent manual, they usually go through the processes & the reason behind why various tools are used.
The RCBS kit(& most kits from other makers) have everything you will need start except dies, from there its up to you where you want to go.

Hell if you want simple & cost effective then just get a Lee classic loader-
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-reload-a-bullet-using-the-Lee-Classic-Loade/

Not sure how accurate the ammo is that comes out of it?

Plenty of sites around for info like accurate reloader etc to look at whats needed.

There is a caveat with these inexpensive kits demonstrated in the video: "Please note: The Classic Lee Loader neck sizes only. This is not recommended for semi-auto, pump and lever action guns."

If money is a concern look on line for deals on used equipment, some gunships now carry used loaders at a reduced price, buy one item , save more money then buy another and in no time you will be up and running. This way you can think about your next item, do research on what your preference would be then buy accordingly.

My father and I shared a Rock Chucker for years. It's over 35 years old and still going strong. It's a great choice and should be all the press you need. It would be my middle of the road choice.

Over the years it became inconvenient going to my fathers all the time. I decided to get my own setup. Even though half the equipment at my fathers was mine, I didn't want to leave him high and dry. I didn't have a lot of money at the time, so I went with the Lee kit. For $120 it can't be beat. A lot of people have made a lot of great ammo with these kits. It probably won't last you forever, but you can see if you like reloading and you can upgrade as figure out what you need. This is my bargain basement choice.

If you have the money and are committed to reloading no matter what, go with the Forster. I love my Co-Ax. Once set up, it can be very quick and easy to use. The only bad thing is coming from a traditional press, some guys have a problem working with the cases going in the front of the press(opposed to feeding from the side). I never had this problem. Then get yourself a RCBS Chargemaster, a backup scale, a brass prep station, brass trimmer and powder funnel. This is my higher end choice.

There's other choices out there that are as good or better. It really comes down to you. If you take the time to learn the equipment. Set it up, triple check everything, everytime. Channel you're inter OCD and work in a distraction free environment. If you can do this, you'll do fine, whatever you choose. If you can't for any reason give a 100% to your reloading, when you set down to do it, DON'T.

I have to agree with the 'how much are you gonna shoot' ideas...
If you think you are going to save thousands it is worth it....hundreds..not so much....
But if you stuck with the idea of making your own definitely go used...so many people get into it then need to dump and run.....
I myself would rather not waste my time loading 223....they can be had extremely cheap if you look for the deals....there are licensed guys reloading precision rounds and selling them...i have purchased many hundred and in my AR they are way more accurate than commercial cranked out rounds....
308 is a covered quite well in he stores and can be had at huge discounted prices also.....708....might be the only one well worth reloading for....is it worh buying all the equipment for one rifle.......no....
I reload for many....260, 2506, 300wm, 26nosler, 65284, 7rm, 7wsm, 280ai and 4 28 gauge shotguns......my biggest saving when we(3 of us) were shooting a lot.........28 gauge.......from $9 down to $2 a box.....thousands of rounds reloaded.....and a learning curve from metallic.......nothing close...but a mec progressive made things much quicker after I learned the flaws of the machine.....i upgraded from a rcbs to mec single stage press...smooth....

Expense is relative to what your ultimate goal is. Least expensive -Lee classic Loader. Everything except trimmer in a portable kit. IF the dipper is not what you want for a powder load, then get a beam balance scale - a good one. Look on eBay. For single purpose single Caliber loading - A lee Hand Press and say Lee Ultimate Dies in your caliber. Again, go eBay for new at low cost. IMOH a single stage press for highest quality, consistent loading with quality dies(s) and quality measuring tools for each step in the process and trimming tools. On a single stage, YOU control every variable, one step at a time. It IS time consuming, but once you get to THE final load for your rifle, the res tis just repetition. Have fun whatever you decide.

Hello all,

I have been kicking around the idea of getting into reloading for the past few years. The start up cost for how much I shoot is what has currently been my reason for not pulling the trigger yet.

I read numerous equipment requirement questions and many times they get far over complicated and extremely technical with case neck trimming etc.

I want to know what is needed vs what is what you use. My primary purpose of getting into reloading is loading ammo that I cannot purchase in factory form. My rifles (mainly Remington LTR's and a couple 7mm-08's) are all very accurate with factory. I would like to improve this accuracy too.

I am not looking to purchase Forester Co-ax presses and $600 powder scales with auto trickler's.

What do I need to get started loading ammunition for .223, 7mm-08 and 308 win? All bolts. What are the differences between RCBS Rock Chucker vs Hornady Classic vs Lee? I will only be shooting brass that is mine, as in not from the range ground.

I know I need dies for each, powder, bullets and primers. Looking at other items primarily.

Please help!

Steve

Go to ebay and look at these:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....H0.XRCBS+Jr.TRS0&_nkw=rcbs+jr+press&_sacat=0

They are solid cast iron presses. You'll never find better....maybe equal, but not better.

I got my first one in 1967 and I still use it.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get started. With the money you save on the press, you can concentrate on a scale, etc.

I bought a Rockchucker press in 1968. I reload for accuracy with a particular bullet and application. Kept hearing about the Co-ax press and figured it would be more precise than the old RCBS. Checked case concentricity (just purchased a Sinclair guage) with different sizing dies just to see if 50 years of loading had taken it's toll. Concentricity was around .001". Saved $300+.

There is a caveat with these inexpensive kits demonstrated in the video: "Please note: The Classic Lee Loader neck sizes only. This is not recommended for semi-auto, pump and lever action guns."

And??

Obviously you haven't read the thread properly as the OP have already stated they are both bolt actions he is reloading for.

Anyway I wasn't really suggesting it, merely illustrating how little gear & how cheap it can be when start reloading.

I know everyone loves RCBs or the better presses but the Hornady and Lyman presses seem decent is there something wrong with them

I have to agree with the 'how much are you gonna shoot' ideas...
If you think you are going to save thousands it is worth it....hundreds..not so much....
But if you stuck with the idea of making your own definitely go used...so many people get into it then need to dump and run.....
I myself would rather not waste my time loading 223....they can be had extremely cheap if you look for the deals....there are licensed guys reloading precision rounds and selling them...i have purchased many hundred and in my AR they are way more accurate than commercial cranked out rounds....
308 is a covered quite well in he stores and can be had at huge discounted prices also.....708....might be the only one well worth reloading for....is it worh buying all the equipment for one rifle.......no....
I reload for many....260, 2506, 300wm, 26nosler, 65284, 7rm, 7wsm, 280ai and 4 28 gauge shotguns......my biggest saving when we(3 of us) were shooting a lot.........28 gauge.......from $9 down to $2 a box.....thousands of rounds reloaded.....and a learning curve from metallic.......nothing close...but a mec progressive made things much quicker after I learned the flaws of the machine.....i upgraded from a rcbs to mec single stage press...smooth....

Yes it is a well known fact that both .223 & .308 have the cheapest factory ammo when buying & more so in bulk deals, especially on your side of the pond so that is something that has to be considered when considering along side how much you actually shoot.

Still is you tink your going to be adding to the safe with more rifles then it becomes an easier decision.

Everybody has an opinion depending on where they started to reload or what was available at the time. The internet has made so much information available that it is scary. Rock Chucker or Co-ax or Redding Boss or Lee classic, I have them all plus a Dillion. They all work, each has some things they do better than others but they all work. Rock Chucker or Redding you will not wear them out. Co-Ax is the quickest to change dies once set up and is repeatable. I use them all. Dies are so good today that it too is scary, but if you get abad one the manufacturer will assist you, just give them a call. Redding, RCBS, Hornady, Forster, Dillion, and Lee dies are in my reloading room they all work, I have preferences but they all work. As has been suggested get several manuals and read them. Go to reloading company Webb sites and read the free information written by real experts, you m ay have to filter the conflicts at times but learn. Brownells has a ton of information so go read, they also sell a lot of really good stuff with a wonderful return policy. Buy American, most is produced here just thought I would throw that in. But do buy a Sinclair concentricity tool, that way you can brag about how your ammo is better than the factory stuff and if it isn't figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it,

If you want to keep trimming case neck to a minimum then neck size. I have neck sizer dies from all manufacturers and actually really like Lees the best. I have multiple rifles/calibers with over 7 reloads without the bolt getting hard to close from neck sizing and almost no brass growth. also the Lee neck die requires no lube! You should still have a full length die though for eventualities. A cheap neck trimmer that works is Lyman eze trim and just buy the 7mm08 pilot that the kit doesn't come with. If you have a electric drill then it goes fairly quick. The Lee quick trim system was a huge disappoint for me. The Lee hand trimmer (similar to lyman) is decent. Lee manual deburing tools are effective and cheap.
You definitely don't have to tumble your brass. I like many others just use four ought steel wool. Takes a few seconds per piece of brass. Don't mess with the inside of the cases.
Lee classic single stage cast iron kit is a great deal. The only drawback to it is that you need to buy quick change bushings. Almost everyone's single stage is good. The Lee kit does come with primer tool.
Most kits come with a good manual scale and powder dump. A $10 manual powder trickler is very handy.
You definitely need calipers. Hornady has a cheap digital caliber for bout $30 that works great.
If you really want to reload as accurately as possible you need to know each bullets ogive overall length to the rifle lands so that you can adjust it. The hornady overall length gauge and the ogive comparitor kit have made this really easy and the results are undeniable. 15 thousands off lands seems to be ideal on average across 11 rifle calibers I reload for. Every bullets ogive can be different even if the overall length when loaded is the same. I have more than one rifle that if you load certain bullets to standard overall length spec for that caliber you will be jamming bullets into the rifle lands.
A cheap yet effective lube is 2 oz of lanolin oil diluted in 12-16oz of 93% alcohol from walmart.
Good luck, be safe and enjoy!

I have an rcbs rockchucker press that was my dads since before I was born. A Lyman hand priming tool . A Redding vase trimming lathe. And a Lyman powder despenser . And a Lyman trickler with scale to trickle in the last .3 grains every charge . All my dies are rcbs . Also don't forget a digital calipers. And most of all bullet manufacturers LOAD MANUALS!

I read each of the posts with great interest because I love the process. As so many have said, I started with a Rockchucker (used for 1/2 the price); and added other essentials as I learned and developed my knowledge. My initial interest was being able to shoot game with my own creations. And here's where it gets interesting. First I had my 250 Savage Ackley Improved. Then it was the 243. Add a 240 Gibbs to the mix and then the 25:06 AI. Then the 6.5 Gibbs joined the family. You can see where I'm going. "Just shooting" traditional cartridges became shooting those I had to reload for. Long story short - most of those who read and post here will tell you this grows on you, and it's a great part of the shooting sport whether it's hunting or competition. Welcome, and enjoy!

Now I'm looking at "improving" my 260. What's next?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.