Reloading equipment question

BoomFlop

Hello all,

I have been kicking around the idea of getting into reloading for the past few years. The start up cost for how much I shoot is what has currently been my reason for not pulling the trigger yet.

I read numerous equipment requirement questions and many times they get far over complicated and extremely technical with case neck trimming etc.

I want to know what is needed vs what is what you use. My primary purpose of getting into reloading is loading ammo that I cannot purchase in factory form. My rifles (mainly Remington LTR's and a couple 7mm-08's) are all very accurate with factory. I would like to improve this accuracy too.

I am not looking to purchase Forester Co-ax presses and $600 powder scales with auto trickler's.

What do I need to get started loading ammunition for .223, 7mm-08 and 308 win? All bolts. What are the differences between RCBS Rock Chucker vs Hornady Classic vs Lee? I will only be shooting brass that is mine, as in not from the range ground.

I know I need dies for each, powder, bullets and primers. Looking at other items primarily.

Please help!

Steve

If you go with One of the kits like the rock chucker supreme besides dies/brass/bullets/powder/primers/shell holder you will be able to start reloading ASAP. Things that you will eventually need to add on are tumbler, brass trimmer, and calipers.

Then as you really start getting into it you start getting a better powder dispenser, case prep station, neck trimmer, better dies (bushing/neck sizer). If you're really in the search for better accuracy (above factory because it's pretty good now) the rabbit hole is long and deep.

I sold my Rock Chucker for the Co-Ax. So I'd recommend to spend the money on the Co-Ax Then, I use a digital scale and I finger drop the final 0.1 grain. I found it easier and faster than a trickler which frequently misses the mark. I have gotten very good at knowing how dribble in the correct amount. So, more money spent on the press, less on the scale. The Co-Ax is so quick to change dies that even doing one off is not much more trouble. No shell holder changes, I love it. I even use the awkward but accurate priming system. It is definitely a low volume highly accurate device. I usually prime my high volume 223 and 9mm handgun brass with an RCBS hand held. Its just faster and I'm not hunting or competing with either.

For rifle cartridges I've been using a Rockchucker I bought in the 70's. I still don't understand what all the hype is over the CoAx press these days. If your interested in making accurate ammo in low quantities I would say you can skip the powder dispenser. You will need some sort of scale. A beam scale will work.

Other things I think are important is a Dial Caliper, some way to trim case length, a funnel, case lube (Imperial DieWax applied with fingers), primer seater (you can likely use the press for that), neck brush, Neck Chamfer tool,

On the fired case I use fine steel wool on the outside of the neck and a neck brush on the inside. I then lube the case and resize it. Then I wipe the lube off. Next check the case length and trim if needed. If trimmed, chamfer the neck inside and out. Clean out the primer pocket.

Now your ready to load........ Seat a primer. Weigh out a powder charge and drop into a case. Seat a bullet to the desired length. Your done!

ShtrRdy

Thank you for finally giving me a "basics" answer to my question. I understand that a lot of the tools available have their place, but I just want to know what I need to get started loading consistent, accurate and safe ammo with components that I choose!

Steve

I bought my RCBS Rockchucker the first year of it's production. It was 1966 or 67 to the best of my recollection. Have loaded literately tens of thousands of rounds. Swedged bullets, re-formed brass & on & on. To this day it still performs as well as ever. It has proven to be an unbelievably tough durable loading press. If your into competitive shooting where you need high volume loading a different press might be advisable. But if you want day in & day out strong dependability the Rockchucker is it.

If you go with One of the kits like the rock chucker supreme besides dies/brass/bullets/powder/primers/shell holder you will be able to start reloading ASAP. Things that you will eventually need to add on are tumbler, brass trimmer, and calipers.

Then as you really start getting into it you start getting a better powder dispenser, case prep station, neck trimmer, better dies (bushing/neck sizer). If you're really in the search for better accuracy (above factory because it's pretty good now) the rabbit hole is long and deep.

Pretty good info from Ross, I started with much the same set up I started with the supreme rock chucker kit but didn't take to long & I wanted more out of my reloading with as consistent ammo as possible which was mainly for hunting.

It really ends up becoming a hobby within itself, a passion & somewhat of a bottomless pit but only if you really want to extract all you can from your ammo.

Sold the uniflow dispenser for a chargemaster combo although I kept the beam scale as a back up.
Have added countless items like Hornady OAL/headspace gauges, primer pocket uniformer, primer pocket debur tool which I think are all a must, VLD chamfing tool, bullet pullers(both impact & collet style), then came a second press because I didn't want to pull dies out all the time so would size in one then seat in the other.

If I was comp shooting more things I would add would be runout gauge, neck turner etc.

ShtrRdy

Thank you for finally giving me a "basics" answer to my question. I understand that a lot of the tools available have their place, but I just want to know what I need to get started loading consistent, accurate and safe ammo with components that I choose!

Steve

Hi Steve, I did 3 months of reading about reloading before I even pulled the pin & bought my kit so my 1st bit of advice is don't rush, do some research & reading up about the process, what the various tools do.
Maybe even buy a decent manual, they usually go through the processes & the reason behind why various tools are used.
The RCBS kit(& most kits from other makers) have everything you will need start except dies, from there its up to you where you want to go.

Hell if you want simple & cost effective then just get a Lee classic loader-
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-reload-a-bullet-using-the-Lee-Classic-Loade/

Not sure how accurate the ammo is that comes out of it?

Plenty of sites around for info like accurate reloader etc to look at whats needed.

Boom, many threads on this forum ask the same question. I don't know anyone who's purchased a "kit" that used everything that came with it. Most don't include everything you'll need to improve on the factory loads. As ShtrRdy mentioned, a beam scale will perform well and the caliper, case trimmer with perhaps a powder thrower a must. All these items can be easily found used here, Craigslist or other forums which would save $$$$. I like the Rockchucker. Research, take your time and you'll be rolling your own soon. Good luck

I'm not a high volume shooting but always wanted to reload. I added up the cost of all the tools and equipment I would buy. Mostly basic stuff. Then figured out more or less how many rounds it would take to pay for itself. Depending on how much you shoot, it might not take long at all.

I'm not a high volume shooting but always wanted to reload. I added up the cost of all the tools and equipment I would buy. Mostly basic stuff. Then figured out more or less how many rounds it would take to pay for itself. Depending on how much you shoot, it might not take long at all.

From a cost savings perspective I compared the cost of factory loaded ammo which compares to what I'm loading for my hunting rifle. That is to say a 200 gr Nosler Accubond on a 300 Win Mag. I would have to pay $60 for a box of 20, ( $3 a round ). Loading components cost me about $1 a round.

ShtrRdy pretty much nailed it up there. So nothing to add on that note. But I will tell you my experience with the Lee kit. I read lots of old guys posting that they've been using their Lee press and Lee beam scale since dinosaurs roamed the earth with no trouble at all. So I bought a brand new Lee kit and have to say they must have made them better back then. I have since bought 2 more scales and borrowed one from a buddy that Scott Parker did his magic on to check everything and my Lee is just not repeatable over the span of a loading session. I definitely am not a fan. I also do not like the quick change bushing they have in their press. It's the only one I've ever used so I have nothing for a comparison, but there is some play in the bushing to press junction and I find I have a difficult time producing consistent catridges because of it. I measured .003 difference in bullet seating depth across 20 cartridges the last time I loaded. Again nothing to compare it to, but I have to assume others are capable of better results. And by looking everything over the design flaw is that stupid bushing.
Just thought I would relay my experience with the Lee kit, and let you know if I were in your shoes I would probably be looking at RCBS over Lee.

boom is your 223 a bolt gun or an ar..
if it is an ar, the last thing you want to do is to try reloading single stage for it.
the others no issue

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.