Reloading Equipment

I will share a few things that are easy to do but I have found will help get you consistent results. Purchase these items: Imperial dry neck lube with application media and case sizing wax (or other brand as desired; it is just graphite), case tumbler (buy untreated bulk media and treat it yourself to save some money-I use walnut hull), case trimmer, full-length dies, and case prep multi-tool. I recommend a digital scale and trickling powder until it just reads to the 10th gr.
After firing cases clean them in the tumbler for a couple of hours and resize the to .002" headspace. I full length size everything in this way because I get better results but others have great outcomes just neck sizing. I apply the dry neck lube inside the case mouth any time they are resized or a bullet is seated. Apply a thin layer of case wax to the cases with your fingers prior to sizing. Trim the necks to within .002" of the recommended length, if they are too long. Make sure to use a quality case prep tool to assure no brass ridges are left at the neck lip after trimming. A slight ridge will cause the case to misalign in the chamber and result in flyers. Keeping these tolerances close will help prevent the cases from stretching and prolong case life. Cleanse cases in the tumbler for another couple of hours after sizing and trimming. Use a powder that will fill your cases to about 90% to achieve the desired velocity. I don't mind the powder being mildly compressed either. For rifle brass I use the primer seater on my Forster press to assure a uniform seating depth that does not protrude. Applying the dry case mouth lube prior to seating the bullet will help assure the bullet is not scarred and a more consistent seating depth. I recommend working with cases and bullets from the same batch for whatever brand you chose to use and working through sequential firings, i.e. continue through all your new cases until they are all fired then start on the 2nd firing unit all are fired twice. If you start with 100 cases and follow this procedure they should give you at least 600 firings depending on how high your pressure is. When they start failing I discard the entire batch and start on a new one.
You can start weight matching cases and bullets at some point but these few tips should help assure you get consistant accuracy. There is always more you can do but addressing these issues will get you in the ballpark. You will need to experiment with different powders, charges and seating depths but that will take another post. Just seat 0.015" off the lands and that will give you a good starting point. Enjoy

Thanks for the info so far. I'll be loading both .308 and 6.8 SPC in AR rifles. I'll be loading for a 7mm Weatherby Magnum as well. I'd like to load the 7mm for more long range precision work. Anything special I need to do for that? I keep reading about the belted brass and headspacing issues. Honestly, I've been researching this for about a week, and my head is spinning. There's no one that I know near me that reloads, so that's why I'm here. Treat me like a newb and tell me what I need to do.
Get smallbase dies or the ones listed for AR's for your .308 and 6.8 SPC. It's probably best to start with balance beam scales, I have been using RCBS 10/10 scales for over 30 years. Test any scale from time to time with weights, just to make sure they remain accurate. Get a good reloading manual, actually at least two, and read it. They have great tips for safe reloading, and will get you started. Start on small batches, about 20 rounds so you don't get overwhelmed. Welcome to reloading, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

I started using RCBS Junior press, dies, and an Ohaus balance. You really don't need lots. Now pretty much all I use is benchrest stuff, but then, I've been at it awhile.

I've been using an Ohaus 505 scale for a couple of decades, just went to an RCBS Chargemaster electronic scale; into the 21st. century. I would not recommend to someone, who is just starting out, to go with the Chargemaster. Figuring out the functions on the Chargemaster scale were/are a bit complicated; at least for me. I've been using it for a bit over a year now and still having trouble getting the scale to calibrate properly as the directions describe, and still having trouble with it. IMHO when first starting out, the "KISS" principle is best to follow because there are a lot of areas where something can go wrong. One last suggestion for you that I haven't read yet is 'if at all possible", try to find a mentor (a seasoned reloader) to help get you started and review your loads.

I've been using an Ohaus 505 scale for a couple of decades, just went to an RCBS Chargemaster electronic scale; into the 21st. century. I would not recommend to someone, who is just starting out, to go with the Chargemaster. Figuring out the functions on the Chargemaster scale were/are a bit complicated; at least for me. I've been using it for a bit over a year now and still having trouble getting the scale to calibrate properly as the directions describe, and still having trouble with it. IMHO when first starting out, the "KISS" principle is best to follow because there are a lot of areas where something can go wrong. One last suggestion for you that I haven't read yet is 'if at all possible", try to find a mentor (a seasoned reloader) to help get you started and review your loads.

I have the Chargemaster Lite and I think its extremely easy to calibrate and program
Having an experienced mentor will save you some misteps
You will make mistakes and you will learn from them
Keep reading and asking questions
Zedikers book Top Grade Ammo is worth reading a few times

I have the Chargemaster Lite and I think its extremely easy to calibrate and program
Having an experienced mentor will save you some misteps
You will make mistakes and you will learn from them
Keep reading and asking questions
Zedikers book Top Grade Ammo is worth reading a few times

In reference to the Chargemaster, this could actually be for you, but..... I am thinking that something may be wrong with the unit. I actually will measure the calibration weights properly, however when I punch in "calibrate" it will go into a mode where that is not happening. I am closely monitoring measurements and also monitoring the units ability to repeat loads, all of those functions work just fine. The only problem that I have is in the calibration mode. I read where there was a problem with the Chargemasters at one point, perhaps ought to call the factory to see what they have to day?

In reference to the Chargemaster, this could actually be for you, but..... I am thinking that something may be wrong with the unit. I actually will measure the calibration weights properly, however when I punch in "calibrate" it will go into a mode where that is not happening. I am closely monitoring measurements and also monitoring the units ability to repeat loads, all of those functions work just fine. The only problem that I have is in the calibration mode. I read where there was a problem with the Chargemasters at one point, perhaps ought to call the factory to see what they have to day?
Id call their customer service dept
Might be something simple

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.