rebarreling a mauser

Brazilian Mauser. Good rifle if it's in good shape. It looked to me as if there was light rust on the bolt. A good gunsmith can tell you if it is safe for a high pressure cartridge.

OTOH, you'll be putting a lot of money into a build that will need a new barrel, trigger, bottom metal, stock, scope base and rings, as well as refinishing, probably. Are you sure you want to do all this to an older military action? It wouldn't cost a whole lot more to get a barreled action that has a good trigger, bottom metal and is already drilled and tapped for a scope base.

Bottom line: you can do it, but you probably won't save anything, if that's your goal, do a careful list of all the costs associated with each option.
Shoot that gun first...... it may surprise you....thats a new barrel on it.....

I've received an old mauser in 7 x 57 which is a good round but I'm covered in that area . I'm thinking about rebarrelling it to a 220 swift because I've always wanted one, is there any issues with this idea?
and if not what is a good recommendation for a barrel maker?
Depends a bit on your budget but I've got a great 10 twist SS Brux and 8.5 twist CFW Bartlein. Both in 30 cal. I'm a fan of single point cut rifling over button rifling.

I have mausers in 257 AI, 7x57, 308, and 35 Whelan. Unless you're a hobbyist who loves to tinker with guns all the work will cost more than buying a new Mauser model 18 (if you really want a Mauser). If I had to have a 220 swift I would start with something that didn't need sporterizing. Trigger, drilling and tapping for scope mounts, barrel and installation, truing action, testing heat treat on action and maybe re heat treating action, stock, and new bolt handle add up to a lot of expense. I've done it.

Great thread. I'm just now getting into Mausers.
Me and my Son just purchased yugo M48s

Very nice and solid rifles. I can see why they are loved
They've been loved for a very long time. Winchester borrowed heavily from the Mauser design when they first designed their Model 70 almost 100 years ago.

Remember one thing, you will never get your money back, barrel, trigger, stock, trigger guard on older military guns....money down a rat hole.
You never get your money back . But that's not the point . If done correctly they are super accurate shooters and can look amazing doing it. My interarms Mauser 243 rebuild to a 7-08 . It will shoot better than the guy pulling the trigger . I'm sure I'm north of 10k in the gun as it sits.

Attachments

• 20230225_104622.jpg
    20230225_104622.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 49
I am a big fan of the Parker Hale rifles with great triggers, drop floor plate, etc, everything is done for you on that model, action slick as a hounds tooth!

I have been down the rabbit hole of rebuilding cheap military actions, tunnel vision best explains what later appears to be the insanity of the hobby. I could have gone out and bought a great Husky or Browning Mauser with the same money.

Not a Mauser but my grandfather's sporterized 1917 eddystone I plan on talking on one elk hunt then having it restored as it is . Just high gloss blue and clean up the stock . I'm sure to put more in than it's worth but it will be a family keeper.

Attachments

• 20230310_131855.jpg
    20230310_131855.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230310_131829.jpg
    20230310_131829.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 46
I did build on 2mauser actions ,a 1910 FN that was made in Belgium it was a7x57 turned it into a feather weight 270 WCF ,second one 1936 Mexican into a 30/06 Springfield that sports a 5.5 Hart conture bbl ss 1/10 twist 27.25 bbl put in a rubberized n aluminum full blocked stock , can't remember it's quite new ,trigger is two stage kepplinger ,for the record I'll never sell either one!!!, Cheers

You never get your money back . But that's not the point . If done correctly they are super accurate shooters and can look amazing doing it. My interarms Mauser 243 rebuild to a 7-08 . It will shoot better than the guy pulling the trigger . I'm sure I'm north of 10k in the gun as it sits.
I agree that's not the point. Whatever rifle fan you are you build it to your needs/ wants. I considered building my JC Higgins Belgium FN 98 into a 7-08.

I did build on 2mauser actions ,a 1910 FN that was made in Belgium it was a7x57 turned it into a feather weight 270 WCF ,second one 1936 Mexican into a 30/06 Springfield that sports a 5.5 Hart conture bbl ss 1/10 twist 27.25 bbl put in a rubberized n aluminum full blocked stock , can't remember it's quite new ,trigger is two stage kepplinger ,for the record I'll never sell either one!!!, Cheers
Jjmp, who lengthened your magazine so the Mexican would handle 06 lengthened cartridges?