Is a turtle a varmint?

No way. I think those are some of the most underratedly cool animals in the country. And also scary if you like to swim in ponds

More like 40 years ago. PM was David Lange - Rhodes Scholar and extremely popular with the voter's. Didn't sit well with the US Administration of the day. Our NZDF still buy US sourced weaponry, so we're aligned in that respect with Aussie and most important Asian countries - South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, etc.
If it was 40 years ago I'm Rip Van Winkle ! Lol ! It was 1984. David Lange refused to allow American nucular ships to dock in their ports. Your are correct ! 37 years ? Ok. I'm awake now. Should of never brought up. Hey! What about those turtles ? 🤔

If it was 40 years ago I'm Rip Van Winkle ! Lol ! It was 1984. David Lange refused to allow American nucular ships to dock in their ports. Your are correct ! 37 years ? Ok. I'm awake now. Should of never brought up. Hey! What about those turtles ? 🤔

We have freshwater eels here that can be quite agressive. Ball boxes used to be part of my gear 😁

So…..MFW I'm reading about fellas eating turtles View attachment 296217

Snapping turtles are good on grill. Southern Illinois we used to catch a few and keep them in a stock trough for when you wanted to have friends over for a cook out! :)

The back of the shell is kinda like a rib cage with big chunks of great meat. like back strappes

Varmints is for sure if you graded up a water pond dam. They dig holes into the soft bank.

You have to understand that out in the midwest with corn as far as you can see are farm houses without city water. Your house water is the few hector pond out back. so you have a mini chlorinator, super filtration system from the Brown rain water pond to your house.

My grand parents house had a cement cistern built in the 1890's . It was filled by rain water from a roof rain gutter system. You just have to add Clorox every so often. Later on the house got an electric pump for running water and my grand mother was so happy!

Snapping turtles are good on grill. Southern Illinois we used to catch a few and keep them in a stock trough for when you wanted to have friends over for a cook out! :)

The back of the shell is kinda like a rib cage with big chunks of great meat. like back strappes

Varmints is for sure if you graded up a water pond dam. They dig holes into the soft bank.

You have to understand that out in the midwest with corn as far as you can see are farm houses without city water. Your house water is the few hector pond out back. so you have a mini chlorinator, super filtration system from the Brown rain water pond to your house.

My grand parents house had a cement cistern built in the 1890's . It was filled by rain water from a roof rain gutter system. You just have to add Clorox every so often. Later on the house got an electric pump for running water and my grand mother was so happy!

Did you grow up there? I'm from Centralia

A Sauce Piquant is a Cajun dish literally translated to 'sauce hot'. It can be made with fish, meat, fowl or seafood. It is a tomato based sauce with sauteed celery, onions and green bell pepper (or as we say in south Louisisana, The Holy Trinity) with tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes and spices served over rice. The heat comes from fresh jalapenos and tabasco sauce. It actually would be better with fish or fowl as turtle meat is a little to delicate (but still great). I'll send a recipe if you like?
DW
Nice, but hold the recipe thanks. I don't eat hot stuff and I don't have any Turtle in the freezer.

@budlight , I've heard that name somewhere 🤔

I understand the water issue. I live inland and we don't have corn or crops.

Ground tanks or dams are used to store water for grazing stock. Bores are the only other source of water..

Turtle are probably widespread across the country but the water body's are not.

Turtles are in creeks and lakes, maybe not so much in ponds and dams.

No snapping turtles here.

I know turtles will swallow a fish hook on a fishing line left still. Maybe fishermen think they are "Varmints"

Actually I think the inland ones here are actually Tortoises. Not sure how they would go in a Piquant sauce.

The snappers are coming to Montana

MT FWP does not want them here. No regs. yet regarding capture or killing.

The baddest of the BAD. Meanest of the MEAN?
That's the Alligator Snapping Turtle. Wiki says they can get up to
70 pounds, shells to 24''. I've seen them at my Uncle's fish
camp near Panama City Florida. Kinda like the Tasmanian Devil
from the cartoons. ALL teeth and eyeballs

Last edited:
Did you grow up there? I'm from Centralia
MY whole extended family is off to the north of you around Shelbyville, South of Decatur, and east towards Mattoon. I liked the annual trips to the Indy 500 races. I learned bow hunting for Alligator Gar and the fun as kids of throwing lit packs of fire crackers on sleeping water moccasins. Funny thing is they seem to know exactly where the lit pack came from and they are amazingly fast and aggressive as they come right at you. Not really a very bright kid when I was 10-12 years old :)

Varmint label depends on location. Had three about that size living in a swamp that butted up to my old house, two males and a female. They were as domesticated as a turtle can get, I fed them all lichen scraps, deer trimmings, fish carcasses, etc. they were cool living back there.
Now more than one snapper like that, over populated slider and mud turtles in a fish pond or if they start picking off too many ducks definitely start moving over to the pest category.
Either way if you like turtle soup there is no shortage of snappers and professionally prepared sounds even better. Just make sure the sides of the tub are high while you are flushing him out.