Is a turtle a varmint?

Thats a funny question, I never considered them Varmints.
I think they are likely protected in Australia.
The indigenous people eat them I think.

What is a Turtle Piccante?

I lived in WA for nearly 30 years, before returning to New Zealand. IIRC - NW coastal indigenous communities took the Green Sea Turtle for food. In the SW of WA, the smaller freshwater varieties (Hawksbill and similar), were protected.

Lol. I was thinking Washington but know it wasn't . Thanks for the answer ! I love Australia. Only country on my bucket list to visit.

New Zealand and Australian mates are always discussing (arguing LOL), which country is "Godzown". Favorite chat that includes Rugby Union, Rugby League, Rugby Sevens, Cricket, Basketball, etc. 25+ million population (Australia aka Oz) v 5.1 million population (New Zealand aka NZ). NZ are World Champions in Union, Cricket, Sevens - Men & Women, so guess it's no different to the North v South, East v West in the US LOL.

New Zealand and Australian mates are always discussing (arguing LOL), which country is "Godzown". Favorite chat that includes Rugby Union, Rugby League, Rugby Sevens, Cricket, Basketball, etc. 25+ million population (Australia aka Oz) v 5.1 million population (New Zealand aka NZ). NZ are World Champions in Union, Cricket, Sevens - Men & Women, so guess it's no different to the North v South, East v West in the US LOL.
I lost faith in New Zealand years ago when they wouldn't let our nucular war ships in their ports. Really ? Good luck on protection. Australian's have fought by our sides since world war 2. I don't forget. I know great hunting in New Zealand and Remi Warren etc. But not on my list.

I love turtle soup, good catch! Not sure if it's a varmint, but who cares, call it what you like. I would name it tasty…
So…..MFW I'm reading about fellas eating turtles
AB811F85-797F-4700-AD45-3E8B0E6FB2C8.gif

I lost faith in New Zealand years ago when they wouldn't let our nucular war ships in their ports. Really ? Good luck on protection. Australian's have fought by our sides since world war 2. I don't forget. I know great hunting in New Zealand and Remi Warren etc. But not on my list.

Oops - sorry to OP about us taking over his request. Current Gov't is realigning with the US/Aus on Indo-Pacific issues. The nuke issue was an in-country political move by the Gov't of the time. NZ still takes part in exercises with the ANZUS partners as well as sharing intelligence with 5 Eyes partners.

Excuse my ignorance . Where is WA ?
All good and sorry if my neighbour derailed the thread but his first post was about Blackfellas eating Turtles.

Lots of Kiwis live here or between 2 countries.

I haven't been across the ditch yet but they are a good bunch.

I did meet an old Blackfellas out at Innamincka that was going to make Turtle soup years ago. I think it would have been the bare basics or somewhat traditional bush Tucker thrown on the coals or a basic soup pot if he has one. .

Wow, didn't know they got that big.
I was visiting our uncle in Missouri back in the early 60s. Caught a turtle, did not know it was a snapping turtle or even that there was a snapping turtle. It stuck its head out quite a ways, and removed a bit of my belly skin.

Now I feel the need to head south and a bit east to find some turtle soup.

A long time ago at some church sponsored wild-life talk by some expert, a skeleton of some creature was displayed and a statement was made that this was the most dangerous animal in New England (wrong - great white sharks kill more people & then there are rabid coyotes). Any how the question was asked, can anyone tell me what it is? My little voice piped up, disturbing the silence of the large basement meeting room - "big turtle!" Any how the term "snapper" fits good. Seen some real big ones like 18-20 inches long. While fishing saw one swimming 2 feet down that looked like 2 ft. long. Saw another trapped tight, in round, 2 foot wide excavation - what do do - got garden hose & flooded the little guy out then saw him waddle back to his pond (apex predator there). One of my dad's customers, a retired foot ball guy of major importance, spent lots of money to buy some resort with a pond between his buildings & ocean beach view. His wife got some nice white swans that cruised the muddy waters and the swans went missing one by one. Coyotes were blamed and a fence was built around the pond (seen yotes some how get thru, around, over or under fences 5 feet high). The swans continued to go missing. I volunteered my services and finally got a head shot at this 16 inch turtle (they don't have gills) with my Mossberg .22. Everybody was happy, I was some hero; but then more swans went missing - sort of like Jaws II. Finally, no more swans and the fence was removed. The turtles won. Yes, snappers are varmints but box turtles are nice.

Thats a funny question, I never considered them Varmints.
I think they are likely protected in Australia.
The indigenous people eat them I think.

What is a Turtle Piccante?
A Sauce Piquant is a Cajun dish literally translated to 'sauce hot'. It can be made with fish, meat, fowl or seafood. It is a tomato based sauce with sauteed celery, onions and green bell pepper (or as we say in south Louisisana, The Holy Trinity) with tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes and spices served over rice. The heat comes from fresh jalapenos and tabasco sauce. It actually would be better with fish or fowl as turtle meat is a little to delicate (but still great). I'll send a recipe if you like?
DW

Oops - sorry to OP about us taking over his request. Current Gov't is realigning with the US/Aus on Indo-Pacific issues. The nuke issue was an in-country political move by the Gov't of the time. NZ still takes part in exercises with the ANZUS partners as well as sharing intelligence with 5 Eyes partners.
That's good to hear. It was about 10 years ago it happened if I remember correctly.

That's good to hear. It was about 10 years ago it happened if I remember correctly.

More like 40 years ago. PM was David Lange - Rhodes Scholar and extremely popular with the voter's. Didn't sit well with the US Administration of the day. Our NZDF still buy US sourced weaponry, so we're aligned in that respect with Aussie and most important Asian countries - South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, etc.