rebarreling a mauser

To my knowledge it's not been lengthened, but it's also a large ring with small threads or the other way I alway mix them up .
The 36 mex is a small ring, small thread with a short magazine designed for the 7mm Mauser cartridges. As is, a 30-06 won't even fit in it, it's way too long. I have 3 sitting on my bench right now for custom builds so I was just wondering.

Last edited:
A commercial Mauser bottom metal will accommodate 30.06 ammo. The magazine box is 3.40 inches and is longer than the military Mauser bottom metal magazine box which is 3.315 inches. PAWS used to make them, but they are no longer available. SARCO used to have them in stock and I bought a few but they are out of stock now. If you can't find a commercial version, you best bet may be to buy the PTG bottom metal with removable magazines.

Had my 98 rebarreld last year to 6xc Barlien barrel. Feeds okay with the long Berger bullets. Shoots pretty true.

Attachments

• 20231017_143343.jpg
    20231017_143343.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 46
I have a small ring '96 Mauser, that a good friend and GS, checked, tuned and installed a Douglas standard weight BR barrel on, chambered in 6mm Rem. Shoots quarters all day, at 100yds, better if I'm having a good day. Weights in at 9 lbs. with a scope on it, and the Fagen-Reinheart stock.

Hey all, I do mean to Hijack this thread but Natchez has a HazMat free offer on right now. I just bought 3 pounds of H 4831SC. They have One pound and 8 pounds containers right now. Code FH 231211 gets rid of the HAZMAT FEE. Good luck boys !!

Remember one thing, you will never get your money back, barrel, trigger, stock, trigger guard on older military guns....money down a rat hole.
If your a Mauser addict like most of us on this thread half the enjoyment of the Mauser platform is the machining into what you want.

This is a M98 modified and chamberd in 204 Ruger, Sleeved in aluminum. I was working up a load after installing the 20x Target scope.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 49
Make it into a 22-6mm and it will feed perfectly as you are using the same parent case. I have two. You can easily load these to 220 swift velocity at lower case pressure with the larger case volume, or push a little harder and beat swift velocity by a fair margin
Interesting! Hadn't been thinking that way, but I might just try that. Back to the gunsmith again.😁🥲

Remember one thing, you will never get your money back, barrel, trigger, stock, trigger guard on older military guns....money down a rat hole.
Not always true.....
For the man wanting a replica African rifle.....
Not a military action..... but a commercial model.... lots of reputable which usually includes trigger with safety,floorplate and drilled and tapped for scope mts...Make beautiful lite weight hunting rifles...

I love the Parker Hales, and Huskys

I have sporterized two German mausers, made one into a scout, and another a man licker. Still shooting scout, 1.5" at 200 yards, but My opinion is that the scout concept is flawed from the foundation up.

I sporterized a British 303, and it still shot 1" groups at 100 yards with a barrel that was worse than a sewer pipe, had a scope mount on it, and killed a lot of deer with it. I hate to think of how much money I spent on sporterizing those cheap guns.

Last edited:
The 36 mex is a small ring, small thread with a short magazine designed for the 7mm Mauser cartridges. As is, a 30-06 won't even fit in it, it's way too long. I have 3 sitting on my bench right now for custom builds so I was just wondering.
The Mex is a perfect world for a Roberts, or maybe a 6.5 CM....