Range finder reviews

garsticker

WEll my leica crf was stolen from my hotel room in Lubbock Tx along with some other stuff and I have to buy another....Please tell me which is the best these days...I absolutely loved my Leica but was just curious what most here use

I have a Leupold that I use thats good for about 700-750 yards. Not a Leica but its pretty dammed good and not nearly the cost of a Leica either

WEll my leica crf was stolen from my hotel room in Lubbock Tx along with some other stuff and I have to buy another....Please tell me which is the best these days...I absolutely loved my Leica but was just curious what most here use

Wow, that's sucks !! Was that all that was taken?? I hate having to leave my room after I put my gear in it, but leaving it in the truck isn't an option either.
Do you care to mention the hotel ? Also, lots of hotels have security cameras in all of the hallways. Did you talk to management about looking at the tape to see who entered your room while you were out?

I've been hearing nothing but praise for the Sig Kilo. I personally use the new model Leica Geovid HD-R 10X42 as well as a Zeiss 10X45 RF binos. Prefer to have my bino and RF in one unit, much easier that way for me.

Geb

This may be old news but sig is now making 3 models with the Kilo 2000 being the top of there line. I think they had a 800 and then something like a 600yrd model. it might be worth looking into depending on how much you want to spend.

If you have a kestrel or something that will tell you atmospheric conditions, the sig is a cheaper alternative to the Leica, and is MUCH faster. But if you don't have a tool for that, the Leica fits that bill and ranges just as good as the Sig, just slower and for about 200ish bones more.

Bryan's Litz'z new Modern Advancements In Long Range Shooting Vol 2 had a nice review of range finders and would make interesting reading if you are in the range finder market. After reading the section in the book, I'd go with a Sig Kilo2000, which came in near the top (#2?) regardless of price. I loaned out the book so I can't tell you which was #1, just remember it was a expensive mfr for very little gain.
I saw Sig Kilo2000 locally on sale this week for $400 (North 40 Oufitters online and in store). I also read on another forum that Sig will apparently be releasing a new model in the future if you can afford to wait an indeterminate time before replacing your loss.
I have a G7 Br2 and think it is great, but mostly because it computes ballistic solution along with the range finding feature. Whether the G7 Br2 is worth 4 times the cost of the Sig to get the ballistic solution packaged with the range finder is an individual call.

There are actually 3 models right now with the 2000 being the top model. I just picked one up the other day at Sportmans but it was full price. 5 bones plus tax. So far its been doing a good job on the limited stuff I been ranging. Had to go back to work so I haven't put it through any test. Plan on doing that later this week. I also seen on some site that had them for 379. I don't recall what the site was but it was a goggle search that I did. Was a little afraid on the price that it may be a different model for that price and at least if I bought it from a retailer and something is wrong I have 30 days to return it.

Took the sig up to Cabelas parking lot and put it through some ranging. It was 3:00pm and clear blue sky plenty of sun. I was able to get trees at the range that it had been spec out at. Actually hit one tree at 1590.3. Hit some building over at thanksgiving point at 16 to 1800 yards but this is getting where I was ranging into the sun a little bit. I got one range off the water tower at 2983. The other reading off the building were consistent from the 16 to 1800yrds. I was only able to repeat the longest off the water tower 2 more time but I think I was getting sun washout. Then we went up AF canyon and man this is where this thing shines. I was completely shaded about 6 pm and I was able to get ranges off the side of the mountain at 2970 to 2990. I was really having a hard time holding it on what I was trying to range at that distance. Also I noticed the pine trees are easier to range then the aspens. I think if I get a tripod setup for this then it will be a really awesome setup not that its not awesome already. Also the ranges are fast no waiting to get a read back.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.