Questions For The Savage Guys

Regarding Savage 11.....you can find 223, 308 and magnum bolt faces for your Savage SA. Savage dbm are interchangeable, imo. The better choice now seems to be using a chassis setup for aics mags.

WSM is the oddball. It has a fixed ejector. WSM is also odd in that it should be done on a large shank. The others are large or small depending on anticipated barrel weight.

I have the Savage 12 WSM in an MDT chassis large shank.

OK, so Savage has 2 different action screw spacing sizes. Older is short and new is longer.

Savage standard shank is fine for SAUM, WSM, etc. There is no need to worry and no need for a large shank. If you can't get barrel x in a standard shank then barrel y. I prefer proof but have used **** near all of them. You can also just have a smith ream a chamber. The large shank thing is really weird to me, that is not an issue on a LA and the bolt face to action face dimension is exactly the same.

Smooth nut, you just need a smooth nut wrench with a brass insert.

There is some good information in the thread and some misguided. Many(actually most) will do a WSM or even an EDGE on a small shank. There are push feed WSMs. Not all WSMs are mechanical eject. As far as the original question Savage has pretty much made this as difficult as possible. There are center feed and staggered. The change from staggered to center feed started around 2005. The DBM setups between them are not directly interchangeable. Savage has had several designations as far as numbering. All actions used to be 110s. Then then started doing 11x for long and 1x for shorts. The x designated the model such as a varmint or hunter, etc. Now they have gone back to the 110. The other thing to consider is the different baffles based on the cartridge length. The 223 for instance has a different baffle than the 308 sized cartridges. Savage shooter forum is a great resource.

There is some good information in the thread and some misguided. Many(actually most) will do a WSM or even an EDGE on a small shank. There are push feed WSMs. Not all WSMs are mechanical eject. As far as the original question Savage has pretty much made this as difficult as possible. There are center feed and staggered. The change from staggered to center feed started around 2005. The DBM setups between them are not directly interchangeable. Savage has had several designations as far as numbering. All actions used to be 110s. Then then started doing 11x for long and 1x for shorts. The x designated the model such as a varmint or hunter, etc. Now they have gone back to the 110. The other thing to consider is the different baffles based on the cartridge length. The 223 for instance has a different baffle than the 308 sized cartridges. Savage shooter forum is a great resource.

I don't think you can find a short action savage head that is not a control feed mechanic eject. I tried. I wound up modifying a long action head by milling the shank.

In the end, whether it be center or stagger feed you can still use the action and change out metal. I have converted many LA stagger feed with internal box mag to a center feed. It just takes a bit of courage to do some milling and know it's not going to ruin anything.

I've spoke with the bigger companies like criterion, shilen etc and they will not chamber a wsm case on a small shank. Could you list companies that will chamber a wsm prefit on a savage small shank? Just so I know for future reference.

I don't think you can find a short action savage head that is not a control feed mechanic eject. I tried. I wound up modifying a long action head by milling the shank.

In the end, whether it be center or stagger feed you can still use the action and change out metal. I have converted many LA stagger feed with internal box mag to a center feed. It just takes a bit of courage to do some milling and know it's not going to ruin anything.
Not true. I've owned one.

The last time I put together a SAUM the only company that told me no small shank short Mag was Criterion. If you want me to post all the currents I'll need to make phone calls. The number available is far more than it was just two years ago.

if you want push feed short mag and can't find one just get a PTG bolt head.

The last time I put together a SAUM the only company that told me no small shank short Mag was Criterion. If you want me to post all the currents I'll need to make phone calls. The number available is far more than it was just two years ago.

if you want push feed short mag and can't find one just get a PTG bolt head.
Well that's good to know. Thanks

My recent 338SS was built from a 300 Win mag 112 donor & now wears a Rock Creek barrel with a 1.250" shank & no barrel nut & it's a small shank.

My recent 338SS was built from a 300 Win mag 112 donor & now wears a Rock Creek barrel with a 1.250" shank & no barrel nut & it's a small shank.
Yes, you can have the barrel installed without the barrel nut, if you prefer, like a Rem700 (same action diameter). My 110 7STW was done this way on the small shank and when it finally wore out, I put a pre-fit 28 Nosler and added the nut again. It works either way.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.