For you SAVAGE GUYS!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Nikolakangrga, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Nikolakangrga

Nikolakangrga Well-Known Member

OK guys,

I just got a savage 116 in .300WM. It only has roughly 30 rounds through it. It is the model without the accutrigger. I have a very hard time owning a stock rifle without making "some" type of upgrade to it. I originally wanted to build something for my wife but decided I wanted to build myself a accurate, "short", ranch rifle that i can use as a short to mid range rifle. I would like to do all the work myself and would like to keep this rifle as light as possible. While trying to keep a "small as possible" budget. My question is....

Barrel: What kind, contour, and length?
    Stock: make, model
    Trigger: Rifle Basix

Any other "must do's" ?

Thanks guys!

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Are you looking for a pre-fit barrel or can you chamber, square, crown, etc., ... a blank barrel yourself?

Do you have DIY tools for Savage rifles already?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsM6_J8doIE"]barrel swap video - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.westernshooter.com/2009/12/how-to-build-or-rebarrel-savage-rifle.html

Just something to think about. I'm sure others will chime in.

Savage Shooters is also an excellent source of info.

Good luck!

3. Nikolakangrga

Nikolakangrga Well-Known Member

i would like a pre-fit barrel and I will be purchasing all the tools necessary. My buddy also has most of the tools I need.....

4. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

can't tell you about barrel contour and length because I shoot a .308, but Benchmark make awesome barrels. I have one on my Savage and it's amazing

for a stock, I can't say enough good about Stockade. Kevin Is great to work with. Check them out

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Did they start making/selling pre-fits? If so, that's great!

6. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

totally missed the pre-fit part...I guess the answer is no. I Emailed and got a quote on a Barrel for my Savage. Not technically a pre-fit, but not hard to get. ended up getting one of their barrels, but got it through Stockade, and had Kevin install it

7. toddc

toddc Well-Known Member

Ok here goes. This is predicated on "light cheap short". Of course its a LA so some of that youre already behind.
    I would do a 6.5x47. Easy to find in a prefit. Recoil low. Brass great. TRENDY lol.
    20" bbl with "varmint contour". Short enuf for the extra girth to even out.
    B&C duramaxx stock. Lightweight and light $$$$.
    Trued thick recoil lug.
    Do all the standard savage tweaks, lap lugs,true recoil lug+nut.
    Trigger I would play with the stock one a bit. I have better luck with stockers than Basix. Jewell when are ya gonna quit hatin on us poor savage nutz?
    You could build that whole rig for under $500.
    I would trade out the LA for an SA though which QUINTUPLES parts availability and hits the shorter lighter mark. Trading a ready to go 300wm to someone that has a 223 or whatever should be easy. Im sure you could unload it here.

8. tinkerer

tinkerer Well-Known Member

OK, here's my 2 cents worth.

If it was me, and I only wanted a light weight, mid range, I would sell the 300 WM and go with a 308. Maybe a 20" barrel. Probably only stock barrel, maybe even a varmint cut down.

Your money though.

Larry
    Tinkerer