Savage action questions

I just purchased a Savage benchrest from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply for $412. (763-420-7163) They only come with the large Shank. All belted Magnums and larger come with the large shank action. The Benchrest will handle anything from the Rigby case down.

When Savage premiers their new actions at the shot show we are suppose to be able to buy non-designated actions from Savage to build either rifles or pistols. Pretty exciting and this is not a rumor. Jim and I both Spoke with Savage and with ATF agents. The preditor version is to be with a through the stock magazine. Price to be around the benchrest plus a years inflation.

I was under the impression that the target action was not available in long acton. I have a older (pre accu-trigger) savage action on the way. the guy I'm buying it from doesn't know if it's large or small shank and doesn't have a mic. It was for a 7mm mag so we'll see. The deal was too good even if it's not a large shank, I can't loose.

They only come with the large Shank. All belted Magnums and larger come with the large shank action. The Benchrest will handle anything from the Rigby case down.

In regular actions the large shank is used on short magnums and when they were making them, the ultra mags. They use the large shank in all of the target actions regardless of caliber. Everything else is small shank, including belted mags.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.