Question on bullwt weight

Rupe

I could use some.advise on what grain bullet for a .270win. I should use for sboots out to 800 to 1000 yards at coyotes. I was thinking Sierra 130gr. GK sbt I haven't cut the.barrel down yet but itt will be between 16.5" and 18" long. Any help would be great!
Thank you in advance
Rupe

Or maybe Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic tips. Very limited on what bullets I cam get around here.
I have 1 lbs. of each imr8208XBR, imr4064, imr4895, imr 3031
Thank you in advance!
Rupe

Anyone anyone at all? I still haven't cut down the take off rifle barrel yet. I have had one suggestion of cutting it to 18" anyone disagree with this? In my mind it seems so long for a handgun. But I do want to reach out there with it.
Also on bullet suggestions, still could uss some input on them other then my own thoughts.
I have been a handgun for many many years but have.just got into the Specialty pistol and my Striker. Just looking for a little help on this.
Thank you for your time,
Rupe

For kills at that distance, leave the barrel at 18" as you will need all the impact velocity you can get.
NBT's and the Nosler LR AB ( I don't know what weight they come in for .277, but they open up at real low impact velocities.

The powders you've listed seem a bit too 'fast' for the 270 Win for maximum velocity.

I'd personally look at H4831sc and similar burn rate powders.

Last edited:
Thank you Ernie and buttermilk for the info. I'm afraid the powders you have mentioned are not on the shelves in my area yet. I was very lucky to get the 4064 and the 8208 the otber day. That was his last 2 lbs of those. But I will keep my eyez out for them. Thank ypu for the bullet info. too!
I really appreciate it!
Rupe

I decited to go ahead and cut the barrel to 18" knowing that if I don't like it I can cut it off a little more of I want. I picked up some 130gr. nosler B-tips and 140gr. Sierra G-kings hpbt (that's all they had). And I will keep my eyes open for those powders.
Thanks again Tinkerer, Ernie, and Buttermilk for the help!
Rupe

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.