Barrel vise question on a Remage

K9TXS

Those of you that are shooting a remage setup, what barrel vise are you using?

I've seen several listed from blocks of wood with notches cut in them to very high dollar metal ones with everything in between.

If your not taking factory barrels off a simple vise like the ones from viper will be all you need. A 5 inch bench vise with wood inserts is enough also. You only need the big giant steel vises to remove factory barrels.
Shep

New action so no barrel to remove. The new pistol I'm working on will have 2 different barrels and I would like to be able to change them if I want while I'm at the range or PD hunting.

Viper??

I use a regular shop vice on my savage barrels.--- I place it Thick piece of leather down in the v (pipe) section and tighten up with the leather inbetween the vise and barrel. If there is any trouble with slipping then add a piece of inner tube between leather and barrel. ---And I would Never do this with a carbon fiber barrel!

Thanks for the information. I think I will make a bracket that will go onto my receiver hitch, weld a plate to it and mount the vise or barrel vise.

I happened to see the one below when I was looking around. Cheap price, all aluminum.
be1127-d579dab161e508c76977f1c14be31eb4.jpg

I also like the look of the Viper shown above.

The viper is powder coated and that helps to grip the barrel. I'm sure the bald eagle will work also. I like the 2 additional bolts on the viper. Plus Bob who makes them is an outstanding person. One man shop. He has done alot for the shooting community.
Shep

I use the Savage, REMAGE, locknut approach on all my barrel installations, including Ruger American and even a lock nut to set headspace on an AR-15 I built. 40 ft/lb. torque on all of those with all threads and mating surfaces coated with aniti-seize. I use Osage Orange (very tough) wood blocks I have made by drilling a 1" hole through the wood and then sawing through the hole center to leave arcs on the two blocks. The blocks are strengthened with bolts to prevent cracking. On a good barrel, I use brown paper or fine emory paper to give more grip when I tighten the blocks to the barrel with my bench vice. My major problem has been removing factory barrels from actions that do not use lock nuts. Holding the action without distorting the threaded area is the problem (distorting the threaded means that the torque required to turn the barrel is VERY high, making it very hard to hold the action. If I am not going to reuse the barrel, I take it off with a pipe wrench. With the barrel in the vise when setting headspace with a lock nut I can always hold the action in position by hand while torquing the lock nut to 40 ft/lbs. Just my method: I am amateur and work mostly on my own guns. I have focused on building guns around 300RUM brass: 308 338, 375 and 416 calibers. The Savage barrels also fit my Mausingfield action. Being in the house a lot for the virus gives me time to write more than I otherwise would.

I use an action wrench in a 5" vise and screw the barrel on/off by hand. The barrel nut is torqued to 40 ft lbs. A witness mark on the barrel will get you to proper headspace each time it is installed.

I use an action wrench in a 5" vise and screw the barrel on/off by hand. The barrel nut is torqued to 40 ft lbs. A witness mark on the barrel will get you to proper headspace each time it is installed.
Interesting. I hold the barrel in a vise and you hold an action wrench in a vise. It seems that either way works.

Here's my setup. I've removed a bunch of barrels, primarily Savage over the years. I don't remember the manufacturer, maybe Wheeler. I used wood for years but got those 1.5" aluminum bars a few years ago and, after drilling, have been using those. They hold much better and can be cranked down more for stubborn barrels. I actually made a barrel vise to keep at another house I own using same design as this one. The action wrench is actually too
IMG_20200509_115909642.jpg
big for most projects. I recently ordered an internal action wrench and used it on a Remington and some Savage actions with excellent results. I'll only use the big wrench for stubborn jobs.

Do you use anything with the aluminum block, leather, rubber tape, rosin, etc?
I know the aluminum is softer than the barrel, but I was curious if it ever left any marks on the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.