XP-100 weight

Buttermilk

What kind of barrel contour would it take to keep the total weight of an XP-100 under 7 1/2 lbs, maybe even under 7 lbs, including scope, stock, etc. (ready to hunt).

Components I'll be using:
1. Scope: I'll be using, initially, a Burris 3x-12x scope.
2. Stock: an Aaron's stock.
3. Scope base: a weaver style or picitinny base such as EGW or similar
4. Scope rings: 3 scope rings of the Weaver quad-lock style (cheap, and work very well, plus give the option to remove scope easily if needed - I've used this ring on heavy kicking Encores for several years and they work great).
5: Barrel: I plan to go with a 17" barrel

Now, I haven't weighed an XP action without barrel, so I don't know the exact weight (I could weigh a 221FB barreled action and get pretty close...) of that action.

However, considering the above components, will it be possible to keep the total weight down under 7.5 lbs if I go with a contour such as a modified heavy Palma (Using Brux contours as an example, I'd simply modify their dimensions so that the muzzle is at 0.850" instead of the 0.900" they list) is it possible to keep the weight under my specified goal?

Another way to state it: What's the heaviest barrel contour I can use and not exceed 7.5 lbs.?

As stated above, I plan to go no longer than 17" (maybe even go 16.5", but most likely go 17") in length.

Regards,
Rog

I'd stick with the stock Rem contour than. In short barrels, thick is not really necessary due to increased stiffness of the short column. Its nice for recoil damping and more velocity though.

Is there a compelling reason for the weight limit in a hunting gun? Most people carry their XP's either in a shoulder sling or a short case like an shotgun case.

Pics necessary.

Larry
Tinkerer

Larry, the compelling reason is simple. It's going to be a hunting gun, not a bench gun. I just don't want to tote around a boat anchor.

The stock Remington XP contour is too light (I have a heavy (0.92" muzzle dia 16.5" Encore that's heavier and is well under 7.5lb. Probably closer to 6.0-6.25 lb).

I've got an XP-100 in 7BR that bone stock and it's significantly lighter than the above mentioned Encore. It's (the bone stock XP) one draw back is the muzzle is too light and needs more weight out front for facilitating field shots from a rest. My Encore is about perfect for my preferences, in terms of balance, etc.

The other XP I have that's getting "fixed" will be setup somewhat similar in terms of barrel contour, at least in diameter.

If I were building a bench gun, I'd not have a concern for weight. As a hunting gun, I'd like to keep it some where in the 5.5-7.5 range.

I was hoping some of those with XP's would chime in with the weight of their guns, barrel contour and length so I'd get a better feel for what I could expect.

Regards,
Rog

OK, we jsut got done building a Striker for my friend in 6BR with a 14 3/4" barrel with a fluted .8" muzzle that finished at 7 #.

XP's are a little lighter, and since you can have more length, I would say that would be your target.

So, with an aftermarket stock in mid grip, and a 17" fluted barrel, a decent scope, I would say 7 1/2 # would be doable. With a decent bipod, and a sling, maybe 8 1/2# closer.

Ask over at SP about an exact match to your specs.

Larry
Tinkerer

This is one I just had built. It weighs pretty close to 7lbs. I think muzzle dia is around .930". Scope is leupy 6.5-20x50. Have a new stock coming for it but shoots good w no load development so far

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 134
Sharp looking gun CPGfan!

What color is that coating? I like that green stock contrasting with the action/barrel.

If you don't mind my asking what contour (muzzle dia of 0.93; dou you know the dia just ahead of the chamber?) is that barrel and how long is it?

Thanks
Rog

It's a charcoal cerakote. It's a mix of two colors. The barrel started life as a Brux MTU contour. I cut it to length 18" and sent to kampfeld custom for fluting. Dia just ahead of chamber is 1.250".

Thanks! Sounds like I'll be able to make 7.5 lb and still have a pretty good size barrel diameter.

Really nice gun you have there. What caliber ?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.