Question on handgun laws

Discussion in 'Specialty Handgun Hunting' started by dj300ack, Apr 13, 2008.

1. dj300ack

dj300ack Well-Known Member

I was wanting to build a long range pistol, but i'm wanting to use a rem.700 rifle action. I had a guy to tell me, you could'nt build hand guns on a rifle action.

2. TCKev

TCKev Well-Known Member

Your Friend Is Right

It is against the law to build a pistol from an action already designated as a rifle. There are a couple of custom receivers out there you can build one from because there not yet designated as either a rifle or a pistol. The easiest way to build one is to buy an XP or Striker in a caliber you might want or have a gunsmith re-barrel or customize it. There is a guy(358hammer) over at Specialty Pistols that that uses undesignated Savage receivers and is building rear and center grips (I think) pistols from them.

Good Luck In Whatever You Decide
    Kevin

3. dj300ack

dj300ack Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I will probbaly go the custom action way.

4. devildoc

devildoc Well-Known Member

well, your friend is kinda right. You would have to get a ATF short barreled rifle tax stamp and everything which would make it cost prohibitive. Kinda like it's not really illegal to have a full auto, provided you've spent the money to get the kings permission.

5. yotefever

yotefever Well-Known Member

Neal, 358hammer is on this site too ;-)

Mike

6. 338hammer

338hammer Well-Known Member

Northland shooters supply sells the awesome savage benchrest action for $435. last I heard. Have two of them and can not say enough good about them. The benchrest accutrigger is definitely a different tune than the hunting one.

Neal

7. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

The reverse is ok, you can build a rifle on an XP 100 action or any other action that was originaly desinated a pistol...