Question on handgun laws

dj300ack

I was wanting to build a long range pistol, but i'm wanting to use a rem.700 rifle action. I had a guy to tell me, you could'nt build hand guns on a rifle action.

Your Friend Is Right

It is against the law to build a pistol from an action already designated as a rifle. There are a couple of custom receivers out there you can build one from because there not yet designated as either a rifle or a pistol. The easiest way to build one is to buy an XP or Striker in a caliber you might want or have a gunsmith re-barrel or customize it. There is a guy(358hammer) over at Specialty Pistols that that uses undesignated Savage receivers and is building rear and center grips (I think) pistols from them.

Good Luck In Whatever You Decide
Kevin

well, your friend is kinda right. You would have to get a ATF short barreled rifle tax stamp and everything which would make it cost prohibitive. Kinda like it's not really illegal to have a full auto, provided you've spent the money to get the kings permission.

Northland shooters supply sells the awesome savage benchrest action for $435. last I heard. Have two of them and can not say enough good about them. The benchrest accutrigger is definitely a different tune than the hunting one.

Neal

The reverse is ok, you can build a rifle on an XP 100 action or any other action that was originaly desinated a pistol...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.