Question for Lefties

I've been a firearms instructor for most of my career. I just adopted two boys; one is a leftie. So, for all of you lefties, IF you learned to shoot a right handed bolt rifle, do you wish you would have learned on a left bolt rifle from the beginning or are you glad you learned on a right handed rifle (before switching to a left bolt rifle)?
Thank you for your parenting/mentoring decisions, dedication. As a truly fully ambidextrous person, it makes no difference to me on working the action. At old age with store bought eyes (lens implants from cataracts), for tiny focus, I am slightly better right-eyed; moving issues tend toward left eye preferences. Have literally zero eye dominance preference with the traditional dominance test. My doctor son remarks that is extremely unusual. Observing both left- and right-handed tendencies at early age, my Dad purposefully nudged me toward right-handedness....as did my teachers....realizing the challenges to being left-handed. Dad refused to buy me left-handed ball gloves......used...and hid from Dad....hand-me-downs from left-handed older friends until I had money to buy my own. Pitched left and right using a right-handed glove until high-school. Of nine siblings, Dad had two brothers, a sister, an uncle, and grandfather that were left-handed. I learned on right-handed rifles as that was what Dad owned, and they were way more prevalent that left-handed models. All though there are a few individuals who are totally one-handed, a young person typically can learn to function either handed. The bigger issue is eye dominance. While eye and hand dominance are more often in "same-side agreement," some individuals are cross hand and eye dominant. That can present shooting issues, more so with pistols and shotguns than rifles, Start exploring your issue by determining the kid's eye dominance, then make hand encouragement decision. As you surely know, we live in a pre-dominantly right-handed world. There will always be more right-handed opportunities and options than for lefties.....about 5:1. I have benefited nicely several times in accepting left-handed rifle offerings. Save a few unique rifles, most of mine are right-handed, but I am known to shoot either handed in the field....with right or left-handed rifles. Just depends upon which way I pick up the rifle and how the shot opportunity presents. If unhurried, I probably shoot more right-handed as most rifles are right-handed. I distinguish no difference in wing, steel, fur, or paper abilities with either hand. I have friends that struggle just to hold a left-handed rifle. :) :) :)

I've been a firearms instructor for most of my career. I just adopted two boys; one is a leftie. So, for all of you lefties, IF you learned to shoot a right handed bolt rifle, do you wish you would have learned on a left bolt rifle from the beginning or are you glad you learned on a right handed rifle (before switching to a left bolt rifle)?
I am a lefty. When I was young I shot right handed guns and was ok with it only because I never tried anything different. When I was 17 and could afford to buy my own nicer bolt action rifle, I bought a left handed rifle (ruger m77 in 7mm rem mag) and never want to go back. That said, when I went to Africa hunting last summer, I wanted to take my own rifle and didn't because of a very short layover in Ethiopia (my rifle would have never made it on the connecting plane in time and it would have cost a whole day to go back to get it through customs the next day). I used the PH's rifle. A right handed sako 7mm mag. I shot good with it, but next time I really want my left handed rifle. It was a good reminder for me of why I bought left hand rifles and actions. The motions of working the bolt and safety are way more smooth and natural. And if I was hunting dangerous game there is no way I would ever try to do it with a right handed bolt action.

So, my question was to know if lefties would have preferred to learn on a left handed rifle or if they later appreciated learning on a right handed rifle. It seems like there are mixed reviews; I appreciate the comments so far and have learned a ton from you guys.

I went through an NRA patrol rifle school many years back. As we were all instructors, we were forced to run the AR left handed for the entire course so we had something to instruct the other instructors on. This was the best class I have taken! It taught me to run a rifle left handed; prior to this I was not very good at instructing lefties. Now, I can shoot the AR qualifications with either hand.

I agree you should shoot a rifle based on eye dominance not hand dominance (I should have specified this). So, based on what I am seeing here, I am looking for a leftie rimfire and then I'll talk to the little man about a leftie in a caliber he wants.

Thanks!
Nice!

I think eye dominance and which eye the scope is on is far more important than what hand is holding what. I'd test eye dominance and get him behind whatever you've got aiming with the proper eye. Can always make decisions on left or right bolt down the road.

I'm left handed, but shoot right. Growing up, there was no such thing as a left handed gun, so that's how I learned to shoot. I've always wondered if I was naturally right eye dominant or if it was trained into me by how I was taught to shoot? I shoot a rifle, pistol & bow right handed. But throw a ball and write lefty. Started golfing right (again, all that was available) until I finally got ahold of a lefty set of clubs...that made all the difference!

I HIGHLY recommend you determine their dominant eye, and teach them to shoot that side. My sons are both RH but left eye dom. They started shooting RH until they started shooting skeet. Their coach got them to switch, the next June they both shot in the top 10 at the US Junior Olympics. Now, my oldest shoots strictly LH, my youngest shoots RH rifles left handed, and handguns Rhanded. (I just shrug). But he can run that RH bolt faster than I can, shooting Lefty, and never release his grip.

This question was addressed by BSA when they made their Martini International in so many left hand rifles. They may be have a few years on them, but they fit. And you'll find most of the stocks have been shortened for young shooters. They are accurate. And aside from the Internationals, the actions are ambidextrous. Except for the buttstock. And I'll be happy to trade a lefty buttstock for a righty. If you get stuck, a Mdl 12 Win stock fits too.
On the bench I like a left handed bolt rifle. The bolt and port are on the left side where I can see them. Some like a right bolt/left port build, but the left port/left build doesn't slow me down at all.
We had this all sorted out 'til I brought home a left handed bird dog and I found out my riding mule was a lefty too.

I am ambidextrous. Raised in a right handed house and world. I am left eye dominant. I can shoot anything left or right. Shotgunning, my left eye gets me more quail. Rifle and pistol, no difference. On rifle, if bracing/sitting against a tree when game is approaching, right or left allows me to aim either way. Big asset.
I also play billiards either hand but had to teach myself for a year. Asset to my game for sure.
Let your observations with kids be your guide. It may not be easy for them to transform to that easily.
Good luck!

I'm right handed, Left eye dominant and primarily shoot left handed but can shoot right handed. I've never had a left handed bolt gun, only right handed. Im pretty satisfied. I will probably never own a left handed bolt gun
I, too, am right handed, left eye dominant. For the first hunting years of my life I shot right handed. After a retinal tear 10 years ago and the resulting loss of good eyesight, I have switched to shooting lefthanded. A little awkward to get used to and I can't seem to get a rifle shouldered as firmly (not enough practice) to shoot heavy recoilers comfortably. Solution: shoot lighter cartridges! Left eye dominance was key to making the switch easier. All the rifles I own are righties...

Please consider the safety of the action if you are going to have the boy shoot a right handed bolt rifle left handed. In the event of a primer or case failure, where are the hot gases going to vent? You want to be sure it's not right in his face.
This happened to me when shooting a military 6.5 Jap left handed. Thank heavens I always wear safety glasses.

There is nothing more encouraging to a left handed youth than getting a few things that cater to their needs. Left-handed scissors! Rifle, knife (left-handed serrations are rare and lovely).

We all learn to use right-handed tools out of necessity, and shooting is no different, but having a parent care enough to provide something special is huge.

I am a lefty and own several firearms handguns shotguns and rifles shot service rifle and f-class I own one left handed firearm a Remington 700 BDL .338 win mag for elk every other firearm is right handed and shooting a right handed semi auto is easier especially during matches you can see if you have a jam or other issue. Some don't like having their face on the same side as it ejects I have never had a problem in 40+ years of reloading and shooting. if they are young enough and you can teach your lefty to shoot right hand it will be easier for him in the future to find firearms he likes good luck and glad to hear more youngsters are shooting.

JPD676:
I am right-hand dominant. I was c.40 years old when I learned I was left-eye dominant - at a Boy Scout day camp with my son at the BB gun range.
Knowing which eye to use makes a HUGE difference in being able to hit what you THINK you're aiming at.
I am not sure my response will be helpful, but your son needs to be comfortable with the bolt side he ends up using. Again, I am right-handed - but left-eye dominant. So for me using a right-hand bolt, but putting it up to my left shoulder is not an issue for me at all. I will more often use my right hand to manipulate the right-hand bolt since it is my strong hand.
With my left-hand bolts, I have to learn to use my left hand on the bolt.
Before you jump in - make sure which eye is dominant - that is what is most important.

I've left hand all my life. I only use right handed bolts action. Use 870 wingmaster shotguns, and full auto m-16's and other full auto firearms. I can operate the bolt on a right hand action very quickly, no problems. I have seen over the years that trying to sell a lefthanded rifle is a problem. You have to find someone that want the same chambering you are using. Otherwise they have to convert it to what they want. Most won't shot or don't want what you have. The are a great many people that are right handed. The worst of it for a left hand shooter is the stock set up. That even the design in stocks are changing now. I had to learn to let in an action into a stock for left handed person. I am glad I learned, but it's work.

I'm left handed. Been shooting for 55 years. It's not a big deal to me. Plus cheaper. Leave it up to your son. Just my 2 cents worth.