A question for the experts

Slipshot

After reading more posts then I care to comment on I have developed a question that has more variables then givens.

I was wondering what STOCK model/brand 25-06 would you guys recommend. I say stock because I would be looking for a heavy barreled model that would eat factory loads out to 500 yds on deer size critters or smaller. That's not to say a bit of accurizing isn't an option but would like to start out with a great base stick. I don't hand load at this point in time but that's not to say I wont start somewhere down the road.
I really don't mind spending a bit more upfront for the base rifle if the $$$ is justified. Like all ya'll I want the most bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Hi Slipshot,
Welcome to the forum. Look for a Remington Senderro, even though they were dropped for 2005, if you look around you should still be able to find one brand new.

A nice piece with a fluted heavy stainless barrel and stainless action, sat in a carbon/composite stock with a full length aluminium bedding block. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

If weight is not an issue, I don't think a guy could go wrong with a Savage 112BVSS or the 110FP. Personally, I would go with the 112 as the laminate stock is much nicer that the flexible plastic one on the 110.

Some may disagree but I think you have a better chance of getting an accurate gun with the Savage. I have yet to see one that wouldn't shoot.

Thanks guys.
I have done some home work since I posted this question. Hell as far as I can see a custom may be worth the extra cash. Remingtons are around a grand and Winchester only builds 3 models in 25-06 (way more then I would spend for a mass produced gun). Priced a Cooper at 1800 for a varminter. Savage is the cheapest I found so far (or should I say least expensive) at around 900. I havent priced a Sako yet but I figure they will be somewere on the top end of the above mentioned price range. The above prices are suggested retail and I know they will be cheaper then that if a person does some searching.
Any of you smiths care to give me an idea what a custom will go for? Just a ball park figure because I know there are lots of options that drive the bottom line.

Slipshot,

I can not speak for the other smiths on the board but personally one of my Custom rifles built on a fully accurised Rem 700 would be similiar in price to that Cooper price you listed.

If you want more details on specific pricing and options drop me an e-mail at:

[email protected]

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Well the email is headed your way. Why should a grown man get all excited about the thought of a custom gun like a kid getting G.I. Joe with kung fo grip???? LMAO

Slipshot,

I think that is the reason we do this stuff. IF you ever loose that excitement its time to find a new hobby I believe if that is what you can call this addiction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

E-mails coming back at ya.

Kirby Allen(50)

This is a hobby????? Well heck there is were I have been taking a left turn. Its not a hobby its an investment!!! An investment in the love of the great outdoors. Not to mention it gives you somewere to go other then the local tavern when ya bored or the wife is on the war path LMAO.

email headed back to you fiftydriver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

There is room in my safe for both custom and factory rifles. (but just barely) About half of my rifle purchases have been, in some way or another, not strictly factory gear; like sporting a premium barrel, and I do a lot of aftermarket work, myself.

If you don't handload, and you can't afford to wait a year for your dream rifle, I'd get a Remington, and go shooting. I bought one recently that listed for just under $1000, but it sold for $750, plus sales tax and all the other BS they tack on.

However, handloading has so much to recommend, that possibly the best advice I can offer is to get started, the sooner, the better. You will never regret it.

Good hunting. LB

Why is it I decide I want something after they stop making them??? Got the custom project pretty much nailed down all except the cash and green light to fiftydriver. 4 months and couple K and that hot rod could be mine.
So today I am wandering around town (vacation is great ya know) and get a wild hair to hit the local shops on the off chance they have a Sendaro 25-06 standing in the rack. Now granted I know its a long shot at best but what the heck I got time to kill. 5 stops later I am in the same situation as when I started only now I know of 3 other guys looking for them as well (kind of makes you wonder why Remington decided to stop making them). Head off for the casa for some well diserved pouting and get this brain cramp, Lets call all the shops in the area!!!!!!! Once again I got time to kill and unlimited long distance so lets let the fingers do the walking!!!!!!! 7 calls later I got 2 guys checking with distributers and 5 more that didnt even know they stoped making them. Aint life grand!!!!! And I thought it was just golf and team roping that caused flustration LOL.

I guess timing is everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you can get the barreled action and stock finished and in your hands in four months, that's good service. LB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.