Teaching myself to shoot lefty - looking for resources

poppadok

I'm looking for some resources (books to read, threads to read) that are concise and constructive. I'm basically teaching myself to shoot all over again, want to learn about shooting technique in it's entirety with the hopes of training myself into the long range shooter category.

I've been shooting for 25 years, always shooting righty, but I am left eye dominant (in a big way). My right eye vision has deteriorated with age, and I've decided it's time to make it offical. I just sold my right handed elk rifle (30-06) and purchased my first left handed rifle (.308).

My new lefty rifle is a LH Ruger Gunsight Scout .308. Not the normal rifle you would be discussing on here, but my logic is pretty simple, its a short light carbine. As I stated, I'm teaching myself from scratch and want to do it properly. I expect to be shooting and hunting with this rifle for the next two or three years while I build proficiency. But to start, I intend to teach myself with it open sights in each position and gradually extending range and I'm weaker on my left side so I figured the shorter, lighter rifle would be easier to hold up and control. I'll then add a scope and do it again.

I was hoping the group here could help me "pool" all the things I need to be thinking about considering that I have never really been trained to shoot other than in Boy Scouts. For instance, I just read today about "Natural Point of Aim". I had never heard of that before, but it makes sense. What else do I need to know about? Keeping in mind I want to be shooting (targets at least) at 1000 yds some day, where can I learn about sight picture, how to control breathing - the way the pros do it - to build a good foundation on?

I appreciate all of your help, and look forward to joining the ranks.

Thanks!

I can not help you with reading info but from past family experience I will give you some things to think about. I am not down playing reading about it but from my experience you need to practice muscle/brain memory.

By this I mean if you are right handed, try to do normal everyday chores left handed. You need to strengthen your left hand, left arm and shoulder to the point of being amberdextrious.

As far as shooting goes I would get me the most comfortable 22LR in both a rifle and a pistol along with a basket full of cheap 22 ammo. Start at the shorter distances and move out as you feel comfortable. Add a scope to the rifle with a turret and I assure you 200 yds with a 22 is not too far to practice.

Putting a patch over your right eye may help if you can handle the depth perception change.

Time, patience and lots of down ranch ammo and you will adapt with time. It will not be easy and may become frustrating at times but just remember that it has been done before by others.

I've dealt with this. It's not as difficult as you might think. By this time next year you won't be able to pick up a rifle like a rightie. Take some long walks in the field and bring your rifle up as though you were going to shoot, about a bazillion times and it'll be as natural as before. Left hand skeet practice is good. Left hand archery practice is probably better. I'd just be true to trying to practice good form like loading your rifle and cycling the bolt from your shoulder, leftie. If both eyes are close in dominance, you may want to get in the habit of closing your right eye when you go to shoot. Funny changes in light can switch your least dominant eye to your most dominant eye and then your holding the rifle on the wrong side again. Also, lots of guys who shoot leftie use a right hand bolt. You can train yourself to get used to anything.

I am right handed, left eye dominate and I've always shot lefty style. I found that in being right handed the right bolt guns work best for me. I tried a left bolt gun and it felt awkward as hell, since shooting a right bolt gun lefty for 40yrs. Shooting right bolt semi and full auto weapons has always been interesting...to say the least. I suggest you just try shooting your right bolt guns lefty for a while and see how it works. It's all about muscle memory. I also prefer the straight comb, pistol grip A3, A4, A5, style stocks as well...no right hand cheek piece;-). Oh yeah...Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.