calibre question for new LR gun

icezeit

Hi LRH forum guys,

first I like to say hello, because I'm new in here.
I'm a hunter from Germany and I'm planning to buy a rifle for shooting paper (30%) and animals (70%) at distances up to approx. 800 meters/yards (perhaps 1000 meters/yards…someday). I have already a scope and I am sure of the gun that I want. The Question that is left is: What calibre?
The animals I want to hunt are Roebuck (max.50 pound), Wild Boar (max.200 pound), Red Stag and Doe (max.300 pound) and predators.
I don't like that ultra-recoil-calibres so my personal choice is limited to 3 rounds:

. 270 WSM
.7mm Rem.Mag.
.300 WSM

I like the speed and the high BC of the .270 and 7mm bullets combined with the 'low' recoil.
The .300 WSM interests me because of the heavier bullets which, are hitting harder at distances under 400 meters, the 'no-barrel-burner-attribute' and also a bearable recoil.

Do you have any good or bad experiences with those calibres? Which one would be your advice?

Greetings from Germany
icezeit

Iceziet

I would also look at the 7 WSM .

About the same ballistics as the 7 Rem Mag in a short action.

This allows the overall length of the rifle to be shorter.

The WSM does better with 140 to 160gr bullets than the 7 Rem Mag.

Also it will equal the 7 rem with the heavy bullets and recoil will be
about the same as the 270 WSM.

Just a thought
J E CUSTOM

Icezeit,
Welcome to LR Hunting. I visited you country once and thoroughly enjoyed myself (what I remember of it!). Good beer.
I have reloaded for and shot all the calibers mentioned. I currently own a .243Win, .25-06Rem, .270WSM, 7mmRemMag and .300WinMag. I like them all but when pressed I always grab the 7Mag. It's my personal favorite and I have a lot of years behind it. Plenty of factory loads (here), plenty of bullet choices and works well with a lot of different powders, if you're a reloader. It's fast, accurate and has plenty of "thump" up close and at extended ranges. Recoil is mild to me but I shoot it in a 10lb rifle.
That said, this year coming up I plan on shooting and reloading for my .300WM more. I just got it in August08 and haven't messed with it much. JohnnyK.

With recoil being one of your deciding factors I would go with one of the 7mm options over the 300wsm. Either the 7 RM 7 WSM or even the 284 win would be good. I have never really been a fan of the .270 caliber, although there are some good bullets available now.

considering the animals you want to hunt and the requirement for reasonable recoil, I would not shoot any of those calibers and go with the tried and true .30-06. When compared to the calibers you mentions the .30-06 is a ***** cat when it comes to recoil. Short of the big grizzly bears, a well placed shot from an '06 will anchor anything that is legal to shoot in north America. with the '06 you have the versatility of bullets from as light as 147 grains to as heavy as 210 grains. and I promise, if you have the marksmanship skill and do your part, a .30-06 will anchor anything on your list out to 800 yards.

Also ammunition for an '06 won't cost as much as your magnum calibers.

If it says "Magnum" it refers to a bigger bottle of Champaign or a bigger powder room. Either one means it'll kick you in the head and hurt you. Chart your bullet's flight and think hard about the points of impact between 1000 yards, 900 yards, and 1100 yards.
Locating, tracking and stalking are disciplines of the Great Hunt that can be learned and practiced year round.
(Blast! I just realized this was a very old thread. Sorry all.)

Recent Posts