Question for Lefties

jpd676

I've been a firearms instructor for most of my career. I just adopted two boys; one is a leftie. So, for all of you lefties, IF you learned to shoot a right handed bolt rifle, do you wish you would have learned on a left bolt rifle from the beginning or are you glad you learned on a right handed rifle (before switching to a left bolt rifle)?

Depends on the person I would assume. I didn't mind using a right handed rifle when I was younger but I really don't like them now after switching to mostly custom lefty actions. I like the ability to be able to use a right handed rifle if needed tho!

The one thing I noticed when I was younger with the right handed rifle was the technique I was taught was to reach over the scopes, which meant you had to break from shouldering and sight picture and was SLOW😂.

I guess what I'm getting at is it was probably beneficial for me to learn how to work a right handed rifle before getting lefties ones because we live in a world made for righties

Learn on both, a lefty bolt is gonna be easier to manipulate but I think it's certainly worth getting lots of time with a RH bolt (and safety) just because he's gonna run into a lot of righty bolts for his entire life. I prefer lefty's but I can also work a righty bolt just fine and still have some RH bolts.

I've been a firearms instructor for most of my career. I just adopted two boys; one is a leftie. So, for all of you lefties, IF you learned to shoot a right handed bolt rifle, do you wish you would have learned on a left bolt rifle from the beginning or are you glad you learned on a right handed rifle (before switching to a left bolt rifle)?
I'm right handed, Left eye dominant and primarily shoot left handed but can shoot right handed. I've never had a left handed bolt gun, only right handed. Im pretty satisfied. I will probably never own a left handed bolt gun

I learned on a righty because there just wasn't many left handed rifles available at my local sporting good store in 1985. So I shot right handed until 2009. Now I shoot both. Am really happy I learned right handed as I can cant the rifle slightly and work the bolt almost as fast as I can a left handed rifle. The only odd thing is the safety on some rifles but never had an issue on a Model 70, Rem 700, Ruger M77 etc.

I have shot mostly right handed rifles for hunting growing up but now I have started competition shooting I have moved to lefties

I think while he is learning it won't really matter, the time should be spent focusing on "fundamentals". I'm a lefty shooter and grew up with right handed rifles and am forced to shoot them at my job, and train others as such. I will say that I prefer a lefty action if I'm mobile (hunting or position to position shooting), as it's easier/faster to cycle the bolt and not coming off the gun.

It does matter! I can guarantee you no right handed person would say oh just give me a LH rifle it will be ok! It they shoot left handed then by all means get them a LH rifle it really is that simple.
They are available and easy to find. You have to look for LH rifles not say Oh that right handed one is cheaper so just get it it won't matter. The most discriminated against group of people in America is the 12 % of the population that is left handed.
Most all manufactures make LH models and all custom action suppliers do as well.
The biggest improvment I see is when I find someone who has a right handed rifle and is left handed. When they shoot one of my Left handed rifles they immediately shoot better.
I have Savage, Winchester and Montana Rifle co, CZ and Zermatt arms rifles and they all are left handed.

teach them on a lh bolt but let them have access to a rh bolt if they want too... It gets klutzy to learn a lh bolt when you've had rh to start with. I was one of those.
There are mechanical tidbits of the stock that are also often different such as the palm-swell and often the cheek piece that are often actually in the way on a rh rifle if you are lh...

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, it sucks. I grew up shooting everything right handed from bows to pistols to bolt action rifles. When I finally pulled the trigger so to speak on a left-handed bolt action rifle I couldn't believe how much better it felt and my shooting got. I think learning to shoot right handed as a left eye dominant person has only hurt me. I have to unlearn habits. It seems to me like I learned improper form like an ugly golf swing, sure it gets the job done, but you're never gonna be great or go to the next level until you using the proper form. My advice is don't fight it. If your left eye dominant shoot on your left shoulder with a left hand bolt. You'll be better off. That's been my experience

I am left handed and in the early years in the North East left guns were almost non existent or so expensive. So, we were relegated to lever guns or semi auto's, pumps. Now I have replaced all my right bolts to left when available. I can shoot as well either way but of course right bolt operation is slightly slower than left. The military made me shoot right. I am down to only 3 right bolts that I have chosen to keep.

I am a lefty and grew up shooting right-handed firearms because that is what my Dad had and could afford. As soon as I could afford my own rifles, I went with left-handed bolts and never looked back. It isn't just about the bolt, the safety, palm swell, and cheekpiece (if applicable), are also on the "wrong" side on a right-handed gun.

Since you have one righty and one lefty, why not start them on the basics on a Ruger #1 or a Thompson. Both are ambidextrous options and you can time-share the rifle while you find out what they like to shoot. I have a mixed household of lefties (me and wife) and righties (daughters) so I understand the delimma. That being said, all my AR-pattern rifles are right handed because left handed parts/bolts/etc aren't readily out there and in AR's right-handed is all I have ever shot and the military didn't have a left hand option!

Congrats and really awesome for you to adopt them! There are lots of good kids in situations they didn't ask to be in that need homes and loving parents.