Q's about your LR Shooting/Hunting

Hey guys, new shooters, seasoned pros, heck... anybody... Looking to hear some of your answers and view points.

What is it that frustrates you the most about the long range shooting/hunting world?

What is the "Next Big Step" you plan to take with your LR shooting/hunting?

What do you see yourself needing in order to reach that "Next Big Step"?

Thanks guys, mulling around a few ideas of my own. Looking for input.

-Clint

What frustrates me the most is my lack of knowledge about windage! Also people who cripple animals and do not go look for blood when they made a poor shot. If they do finally kill the animal they most often leave way too much meat! I see a lot of 330 plus bull elk at 800 to 1200 yards and further but it takes two days with a chain saw to get there!

My next big step is to find a place without a million people, less then 25 -35 mph winds where I can kill an elk at distance and ride my horses to!

I need to win the lottery so I can hire a full time spotter

1. My frustration boils over when I don't hit that little one inch Shoot-N-C spot at 200 yards during a match.

2. Bringing that 1000 yard group down from 8 inches to 5 inches.

3. Trigger time; lots more trigger time.

gun) --------------------- :rolleyes:

...I find myself never satisfied with any rifle I've dealt with and I know darn well I should be with most. My own rifles perform beyond the quality of their components however, there's always that nagging thought of improvement...

You said it, someone can always shoot better, farther, more accurately etc :rolleyes:
And ever since shooting/owning my own tack driver, everything else I used to enjoy shooting seems to have lost it's luster.

I get frustrated when shooters diss newbies even though they themselves once had the same questions...

Yup that there is my peeve, I will say that this is the friendliest site I've found so far for the new crowd though :)

What frustrates me the most is my lack of knowledge about windage!...

They ain't kidding when they say it's the hardest part of LR... period... lightbulb

...3. Trigger time; lots more trigger time.

My biggest problem seems to be just TIME lol :rolleyes:

I'll go along with the lack of availability of components. The problem has persisted for more thn two years. Excuses at this point ate well worn and frustrating.

While I have already established rigs for the magic mile and have had some success, I would like to further refine my skills.

The lack of accessible ranges in the Northeast make achievemnt of this goal difficult.

Last edited:
nothing really frustrates me about it other than certain companies selling turn key packages and making everyone think all they have to do is buy this magic box and they can kill stuff at 1000 yards with ease.

This frustrates me as well.

What gets me the most is the obscene cost of hunting on private land. It is getting so that regular people either cannot hunt or can hunt only very poor locations.

Other than that, I have no major concerns. We went wrong when we started the super commercialization of whitetail hunting. I.e. buy this product, use it... Become a successful hunter. This caused everything to go haywire.

Even though I am only 30, I watched commercialization latch on to our sport in its infancy. We have seminars about deer management and deer scoring and how to plant food plots to attract more deer. But my dad taught me the basics of hunting "theory" if you will. Keep the wind in your face, move only when necessary and don't make noise. i know how to succesfully pursue game... My greatest limitation is access to a place to pursue that game.

What gets me the most is the obscene cost of hunting on private land. It is getting so that regular people either cannot hunt or can hunt only very poor locations.

Oh yeah; that one too.
It seems to me a dichotomy that feral hogs are destroying farm land and commercial food crops that farmers have planted and yet the owner of the land under the wild bore siege deny hunting privileges unless you pay for the experience.
Go figure ..........

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.