Q's about your LR Shooting/Hunting

CB11WYO

Hey guys, new shooters, seasoned pros, heck... anybody... Looking to hear some of your answers and view points.

What is it that frustrates you the most about the long range shooting/hunting world?

What is the "Next Big Step" you plan to take with your LR shooting/hunting?

What do you see yourself needing in order to reach that "Next Big Step"?

Thanks guys, mulling around a few ideas of my own. Looking for input.

-Clint

Hey guys, new shooters, seasoned pros, heck... anybody... Looking to hear some of your answers and view points.

What is it that frustrates you the most about the long range shooting/hunting world?

What is the "Next Big Step" you plan to take with your LR shooting/hunting?

What do you see yourself needing in order to reach that "Next Big Step"?

Thanks guys, mulling around a few ideas of my own. Looking for input.

-Clint

What frustrates me most is component availability.
My next step is building a platform to get me on steel at 1760 yards.
I see myself needing a sack full of 100 dollar bills to accomplish this.

A good supply remington of 300 rum would be nice.Every time i cull one for a loose primer pocket i cringe.

nothing really frustrates me about it other than certain companies selling turn key packages and making everyone think all they have to do is buy this magic box and they can kill stuff at 1000 yards with ease.

My next step is an NXS on all my rifles

What frustrates me most is component availability.
My next step is building a platform to get me on steel at 1760 yards.
I see myself needing a sack full of 100 dollar bills to accomplish this.

3006, Ahh the magic mile :D That's on my "consistently be able to do" list as well lol

A good supply remington of 300 rum would be nice.Every time i cull one for a loose primer pocket i cringe.

SA, I feel your pain :rolleyes:

nothing really frustrates me about it other than certain companies selling turn key packages and making everyone think all they have to do is buy this magic box and they can kill stuff at 1000 yards with ease.

My next step is an NXS on all my rifles

Mike, "frustrate" might have been a bad term to use... I see what you mean about "turn-key" magic boxes though lightbulb I'm with ya there.

CB, being realistic and trying not to expect more from what you have. I find myself never satisfied with any rifle I've dealt with and I know darn well I should be with most. My own rifles perform beyond the quality of their components however, there's always that nagging thought of improvement. I have never been presented a shot over 400 yards in my 65 years and here I am striving for 1000. My only solace is at the range a guy with a $$$$$$$$ custom shoots a 4 inch group at 200 yards, makes my day and probably Tikkamike's also.

CB, being realistic and trying not to expect more from what you have. I find myself never satisfied with any rifle I've dealt with and I know darn well I should be with most. My own rifles perform beyond the quality of their components however, there's always that nagging thought of improvement. I have never been presented a shot over 400 yards in my 65 years and here I am striving for 1000. My only solace is at the range a guy with a $$$$$$$$ custom shoots a 4 inch group at 200 yards, makes my day and probably Tikkamike's also.

you nailed that one

I get frustrated when shooters diss newbies even though they themselves once had the same questions.

I get frustrated when new shooters can't take a little dissing and start whining when they aren't spoon fed everything they need to know.

I wish all brass was made As strong as Lapua brass and as consistent as Nosler custom.

Next step clip on NV.

ALL IT TAKES IS MONEY AND DEDICATION. One out of two just ain't gonna get me there lol.

+1 to turn key, 1xxx yards out of the box rifles frustrating me.

I want to hit a 20" (roughly) steel target at a mile, then 2000 yards.

I see myself needing a terrapin rangefinder (working on that right now).

Im frustrated with the notion that anyone can take a smaller caliber to 1000 yrds for hunting ,As seen on tv.Use what is appropriate for game hunted.Next step is to get 2 rifles of mine fine tuned to 1500.A march to 25 x or maybe a ATCAR 25 are on my wish list,Im Mil guy,wish NF was 30 type oz.

+1 to turn key, 1xxx yards out of the box rifles frustrating me.

I want to hit a 20" (roughly) steel target at a mile, then 2000 yards.

I see myself needing a terrapin rangefinder (working on that right now) and a scope that will let me dial enough to get out too 2000.
Few just sold on Hide,Id say those guys mad money on the deal.

Besides a good scope the terrapin was best long range purchase I ever did.

With it out of production it leaves a huge hole in the market, even at $2k. I have ranged trees on a sunny day out to over 2700 yards...sometimes I just sit on the porch and range stuff and am amazed. It has done reflective stuff at 2 miles. But the best part is being able to range 1 moa targets with the confidence you actually have the target and not the background.

That said, anyone looking fir a business idea could Sell a good protective/ rubberized case and a doubler to up the terrapin mag to 10 x. I am very careful not to drop that thing on a hard surface with that metal case it would transmit a lot of shock to the internals and likely kill it.

I agree and have seen where guys mod a Swaro doubler on, I have one. But on my window mnt I was ranging muley out to 1500 without trouble.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts