Tell Us About Your First Car

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Mine was a light blue 1960 Ford Fairlane with 105,000 miles on it that I bought from my father just as I got married. It had stick shift on the column and a 6 cylinder engine with 101 HP.

My second car was a midnight blue 1965(?) Jaguar XK-E with 252 HP and a top end of 145 MPH.

I was 17, and bought a 1969 Chevy Camaro. 3.73:1 12-bolt posi traction, 327 bored 30 over, Edelbrock streetmaster aluminum manifold, Holley 450 w/ mechanical secondaries. I got around 8 miles to the gallon on a good day, and generally much less than that. That car was stable well past the 120 mph speedo, and did zero-to-100 in the blink of an eye. I still get a chill in my spine thinking about driving that car around nearly 30 years later! Not only was it my first car, but I think it was my first love too!

Musta had an angel

My first rig wasn't a car but an suv. It was a 1990 Ford Bronco II. I payed cash for it from my cousins car lot for under $3000. When I was 18.

I used to jump this thing 10 feet off the ground on a little off roading course we had in town. It was no suprise when I had to replace the wheel bearings.

Many, many hunting trips were put on this rig and it still ran. I can't get over how much abuse this little rig put up with.

On a trip to Portland, I was hit by a drunken illegal immigrant on Cinco de Mayo. Let me tell you what! That little bronco ripped his brand new dodge intrepid up! He slammed into the side of my spare tire carrier, tearing his popcan sided car all the way down. Then the sob, took off. A hit an run deal. He reported someone hit his parked car 2 days later.

Still she survived, and I don't know how I did either.

IM000069.jpg
IM000062-1.jpg
my first one was a a 70 rally sport camaro the one with the little half bumpers on the front after that nothing but mopars this was my 69 dart that i was building but i sold right before i finished it
IM000298.jpg
and my 73 dart swinger with a 340
IM000379.jpg

My first car was a silver Opel Gt 1900. I was a 2Lt at Ft Benning and my dad had to cosign the bank loan. I guess in 1969 an infantry officer was a bad credit risk. It had a 4 cylinder engine with 90Bhp and a top end of 113 mph. Konis and Michelins Xs all around. One day down in the Mississippi delta I set my all time record of passing 13 cars in a row without pulling in. I started at 50 and ran it to 70 in 3rd and shifted into 4th and let it roll passing car after car. I was doing 111mph when I passed the thirteenth car while on an uphill curve running against the double yellow. Naturally the lead car was a local deputy sheriff so he gave me a $20 ticket which I never paid.

The car looked like this one.
mm1.jpg

First, 1987 Ford Mustang LX (it was my mom's old car). It ran well.

Second, 1989 Dodge Ram 1/2ton. This was my baby. 360 CI engine, all emissions equipment unhooked/removed, true dual exhaust, MSD ignition, Jet Stage 2 chip, K&N, 33" BFGs. I drove it back alone when I was 16 from Casper, WY (11 hr trip) after my dad had his heart attack.

Current truck, 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 360 and 33" BFGs. That first pickup sure had an effect on my future purchases (this is my 3rd Dodge Ram w/ 360 and BFGs).

At 16 it was a 1970 Monte Carlo,,,,,,,had Keystone Klassic Rims with Mickey Thompson 50's (BIAS PLY) 350 CI 2 barrel, Hooker Headers, Rabbit air shocks (a must), and a Bowtie on the hood that read,,,,,,,The Monte Carlo Kid!!!!!!
At the young age of 11 it was a Corvair!!! My Dad had a salvage yard with over 900 vehicles and all of 60 acre to learn how NOT ta drive!!!! I found out when the left side motor mount in a 67 Ford breaks, ya can dump yer brother (driving a 67 Dodge) goin inta turn 3,,,,,,,,yep,,,,,,,the throttle sticks goin inta a left hander!!!!
For all the powerheads out there,,,,here's a formula I came up with for CI:
Bore x Bore x Stroke x 6.2832 (pie x 2)
350 CI CHevy
4.001 x 4.001 x 3.48 x 6.2832 = 350.235 CI
Ponies:
CI x RPM x .0001903 = ponies!!!!
Gutter

Dad put 100k on the 65 Belair before I got it as my first car=Lasted a week before a brake line went while going down the cart road to town:eek: Spent the next year in a 63 Belair with a straight six and three speed that I traded the neighbor for a little help haying that first summer.

First car at 17 was a 66 nova ss 327 4spd. It had keystone classics and firestone ss bias tires they were gone in the 2nd week. Fastest I ever had it was close to 140 and I sure wouldn't even come close to that today it felt like it was ready to take off. When the speedo read 100 you were actually doing 110, according to my buddies 70 buick gs stage 1 455, and it was along time before that needle left 120. It was alot of fun for a 17 year old in the 80's.

First car was a '69 Firebird 400ci 4 speed and came with speeding tickets.
Next I got an '74 Opel Manta and set it up for SCAA racing. Sure do miss running up at Road America :-((
My sisters husband had a Opel Gt and he got me started with the Opel's.

Mine was an Opel also.
But it was my Moms station wagon:eek:
Oh well, with a Pioneer Super Tuner with 8track,
curtains in the rear windows, seats folded down,
foam pad and sleeping bag look out coal miners daughters:p
Mike

My first vehicle was a 73 Chevy pickup but my first "car" was 1970 SS Chevelle. It was phantom blue with white stripes. I bought the car minus the motor. I built a 383 stroker with Chevy bowtie heads,TRW flat tops, Compition Cams 292 Cam, Eldenbrock Performer intake, a tricked out 780 Holley carb and few other bells and whistles. Man I had some good times in that car and sure wish I had it back. Every time I see one of those Chevelles (which isn't very often now adays)it makes me think back. That car kicked a many a butt on a Friday night back country road.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts