Pursuit of a Light Weight Hunting Rifle

Primarily whitetail and anywhere between 10 and 500+ yds depending on where I go. I dont lock into only one style of hunting. I may put a tree stand on my back and haul it in a couple of miles or hike into a clear cut where shots can stretch it out. Hopefully will get a chance to get out into the Rocky Mountains before I'm too old to climb up those mountains.
What projectiles do you want to use and which of those would you like to "optimize" around?

Honestly, I've been surprised at how accurate my lightweight 280AI has been (I'm shooting a Kimber Montana).

I'm very happy to live in the 140-160 grain bullet weight range (so I'm happy with the 1:9" twist).

Something like a 143HH or 160 Partition is what I use for elk. I've had good luck at modest ranges with 7mm rem mag factory 160 Partition ammo and I know my 280AI can match that ammo in MV.

Because I use it mostly for whitetail, I don't care for a faster twist rate as I will use mostly 140 grain accubonds for deer. I'm happy to live with 160-168 grain as the upper end of bullet weights I can utilize for larger game.

The recoil is mild in my opinion but I shoot a good bit of 12 gauge shotgun sports.

I have had good success with 160 AB's in 7RM in other rifles In 9.5 twist barrels. I've have decent supply of Berger 168 H VLD and CH. I has hoping to to open up my options for the longer mono's with a 8 twist. I actually have probably too many different .284 bullets. The HH 169 would probably do a number on larger game.
I really like the Kimber. Super light and seems to be a consistent shooter. I just like options and wanted something different this time around. I will probably still hunt the TN whitetail woods with a lightweight 308 most of the time. It is under 8 lbs. loaded and ready to hunt, and a pleasure to shoot.

I still kick myself every once in a while over a ULA rifle.
I was in a gun shop right across the river from ULA's shop in Morgantown, WV. They had a ULA rifle in the rack with a good price. It was chambered 25-06 Rem. I wish I had bought it, Took it over to ULA and had Melvin put a 280 AI. barrel on it.

I ended up getting a Kimber Montana 300 WSM for high country and rainy weather hunts.

One of my favorite lightweight rifles is a Browning 'Micro-Medallion' in 284 Win, 20" barrel. I may even take it elk hunting next time. Besides weight, I'm content with a shorter barrel with extended carry.

I know I'm getting old, but it is just eye opening the difference a couple of pounds can make when carrying a rifle. Just pulling them out of the safe seems to be more difficult. A couple of miles in when carrying a pack and the essentials it can really become a point of emphasis.

One of my favorite lightweight rifles is a Browning 'Micro-Medallion' in 284 Win, 20" barrel. I may even take it elk hunting next time. Besides weight, I'm content with a shorter barrel with extended carry.
Nice rifle. Friend of mine has one. Shoots incredibly well.

This waiting on the action is not helping me. I did get the stock today and thought that would make me feel better. Too much time to contemplate other options and more ways to spend $$. Already put a Ultra 7 in jail and now really want the March F 3-24x52 (thanks to Huntnful). Oh well….
BA377365-4220-4BA7-93A3-0C99EBBC7D75.jpeg