Pursuit of a Light Weight Hunting Rifle

Mark37082

Everyone has their own priorities and desires, but attempting to find the perfect balance between weight, cost, and pleasant to shoot is often difficult. Compromising always seems to be the end result. Lugging a 10+ lb rifle into the back country is not pleasant to me. Shooting a 10+ lb rifle from the bench is great. Shooting a 7 lb rifle in a heavy recoiling cartridge is not pleasant, but wanting a cartridge that will cover the bases is desired. I decided to take cost out of the decision to build exactly what I wanted. Set a limit of 8.5 lb ready to hunt (not loaded). Carbon fiber has helped to keeps the weight down in stocks and barrels. Looked at Titanium actions, but ultimately decided to go Defiance Anti X. Shaving an ounce or two here and there with 24" vs a 26" barrel, Titanium brake, lighter weight scope, etc., has put be at 8.4 lbs or close to it. Decided on 280ai to keep the recoil down to reasonable level for more pleasant practice.

Now the cost is running close to $7K all in with only $2K allotted for a scope. I just thought I would post this to give those pursuing a similar goal some perspective. Im not whining (well maybe a little), just stating this reality. Oh BTW I did not include the cost of reloading components (dies, brass, etc.). Another $600 so far.

Be careful when getting caught up in the "I want that" world of LRH.

That's a significant financial commitment for the ideal mountain rifle. I'm sure the finished product will be a very fine hunting rifle. I'm one of those folks that can afford custom rifles, but my "frugal" side wouldn't allow me to spend that much. I have nice factory rifles that are compromises, where as yours is going to be a perfect mountain rifle. Congrats, and I'm sure a couple years from now, you won't even remember the money you spent, but you'll have a great rifle for decades.

I bought a custom from E.R. Shaw with thick rubber recoil pad in 257 robberts AI. 26 inch fluted. One of my more accurate rifles. I came to the conclusion that 243 kinda tops out with antelope although I have taken some mule deer with it.

My daughter was 120 pounds and 5'8" at 16 and she didn't like my lighter 270 win. So the 257 AI almost has the 25-06 velocity and 100 grain spbt have proved to be DRT on mule deer. I use 7mm Mauser cases with full load to use and fire form at the same time. My daughter now 36 and 5'10" and 135 pounds still loves her 257. Just a fun lightweight long barreled rife. 87 gr for varminting

Primarily whitetail and anywhere between 10 and 500+ yds depending on where I go. I dont lock into only one style of hunting. I may put a tree stand on my back and haul it in a couple of miles or hike into a clear cut where shots can stretch it out. Hopefully will get a chance to get out into the Rocky Mountains before I'm too old to climb up those mountains.

Primarily whitetail and anywhere between 10 and 500+ yds depending on where I go. I dont lock into only one style of hunting. I may put a tree stand on my back and haul it in a couple of miles or hike into a clear cut where shots can stretch it out. Hopefully will get a chance to get out into the Rocky Mountains before I'm too old to climb up those mountains.

Heck, I already feel too old to climb up those mountains. Every year it gets tougher and tougher to beat my children to the top!

Every ounce counts for me.

You see lots of rifles in the 11-12 pound range on this site. I have a few right in there too, nice for range work or plinking but not what I want to carry all day in the mtns. I like sub 8 pounds for a mtn rifle, in a cartridge that is easy to shoot well. Right now the fav in my collection is a 260ai just under 8 pounds. It is the first rifle I go for come hunting season.
I think 280 will be fine, I don't enjoy much more rifle than that when you are at 8 pounds. I have a 33n thats just under 8, way to much in the recoil department to be controllable very few people can shoot it well after the first bang.

$5k without a scope? That's way too much for your parts list.
I wish you were right..
Parts are $3777.40 without scope. Gunsmith service are approx. $860.00. The action alone is over $1500. There is about $300 left to get to $5k. I am sure there will be at least this much in things I have not considered.
I'm not trying to say this is a need to have type of thing. This is just what it costs to go full custom with higher end components. I actually shopped around and cut some costs on the stock and few other items. Oh well. I'll get over the $$ spent. The void in my safe for a full custom rifle has been bothering me for a long time.

Don't put it off. That time will sneak up on you far faster than you'd ever imagine and once it does there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

Hip and knee replacements are great but they will not get you back to the kind of mobility you had when you were younger, they just make getting older a little more tolerable.

I wish you were right..
Parts are $3777.40 without scope. Gunsmith service are approx. $860.00. The action alone is over $1500. There is about $300 left to get to $5k. I am sure there will be at least this much in things I have not considered.
I'm not trying to say this is a need to have type of thing. This is just what it costs to go full custom with higher end components. I actually shopped around and cut some costs on the stock and few other items. Oh well. I'll get over the $$ spent. The void in my safe for a full custom rifle has been bothering me for a long time.
I'd be interested to see your detailed parts list. I don't have a custom that has cost me much if any over $5k including optics.

Defiance Anti x Nitrided = $1513.50
Proof Sendero = $788.95
Mesa Altitude = $634.95
Bottom Metal and Mag box = $335
Triggertech = $185
Rings = $160
Titanium brake = $160
Scope = $2000
Gun Smith Services (chamber, barrel install, muzzle thread, timed and contoured brake, pillar and epoxy bedding) = $860

Last edited:
To each thier own, had a couple of high dallar customs but hunt with Tikka t3 lites these days. The favorite unit (6.5Sweede and Vortex diomandback tac) can fill tags to 700 easy enough and even with the bipods on is light enough to carry around all day.
Like Wildrose said getrdone asap as tags and age make it tuffer as the years go by