Pursuit of a Light Weight Hunting Rifle

I wish you were right..
Parts are $3777.40 without scope. Gunsmith service are approx. $860.00. The action alone is over $1500. There is about $300 left to get to $5k. I am sure there will be at least this much in things I have not considered.
I'm not trying to say this is a need to have type of thing. This is just what it costs to go full custom with higher end components. I actually shopped around and cut some costs on the stock and few other items. Oh well. I'll get over the $$ spent. The void in my safe for a full custom rifle has been bothering me for a long time.
A WBY Backcountry 2.0 in 280AI is only 5.2lbs and $2500...?

Ducky - Amen, brother. I spent 35 years working non-stop to provide for my family. Very little time to pursue my individual wants and desires. Time slips away. Would I do it differently? Not sure. I have been blessed with a wonderful family and great friends. My renewed passion in everything in this hobby gives me more than the $$ I spend.

That's a significant financial commitment for the ideal mountain rifle. I'm sure the finished product will be a very fine hunting rifle. I'm one of those folks that can afford custom rifles, but my "frugal" side wouldn't allow me to spend that much. I have nice factory rifles that are compromises, where as yours is going to be a perfect mountain rifle. Congrats, and I'm sure a couple years from now, you won't even remember the money you spent, but you'll have a great rifle for decades.
Now all it has to do.....is shoot straight!

Ducky - Amen, brother. I spent 35 years working non-stop to provide for my family. Very little time to pursue my individual wants and desires. Time slips away. Would I do it differently? Not sure. I have been blessed with a wonderful family and great friends. My renewed passion in everything in this hobby gives me more than the $$ I spend.
That's awesome you have a renewed fulfilling passion! And your pricing was spot on. I don't think you'll have a single regret about it! I'm not sure if I saw that you had decided on a scope or not yet?

Everyone has their own priorities and desires, but attempting to find the perfect balance between weight, cost, and pleasant to shoot is often difficult. Compromising always seems to be the end result. Lugging a 10+ lb rifle into the back country is not pleasant to me. Shooting a 10+ lb rifle from the bench is great. Shooting a 7 lb rifle in a heavy recoiling cartridge is not pleasant, but wanting a cartridge that will cover the bases is desired. I decided to take cost out of the decision to build exactly what I wanted. Set a limit of 8.5 lb ready to hunt (not loaded). Carbon fiber has helped to keeps the weight down in stocks and barrels. Looked at Titanium actions, but ultimately decided to go Defiance Anti X. Shaving an ounce or two here and there with 24" vs a 26" barrel, Titanium brake, lighter weight scope, etc., has put be at 8.4 lbs or close to it. Decided on 280ai to keep the recoil down to reasonable level for more pleasant practice.

Now the cost is running close to $7K all in with only $2K allotted for a scope. I just thought I would post this to give those pursuing a similar goal some perspective. Im not whining (well maybe a little), just stating this reality. Oh BTW I did not include the cost of reloading components (dies, brass, etc.). Another $600 so far.

Be careful when getting caught up in the "I want that" world of LRH.
This is good insight for guys jumping into custom builds.
There are some really good alternatives to your build that would have kept things around $4000 scoped.
I've never spent more than 3k on a full custom rifle, but I do my own bedding etc.

Honestly though unless I'm building a LA the Tikka semi custom route is unbeatable.
I have two that come in under 6 lbs with CF stocks and prefit SS barrels.
I just finished a Tikka 7-300 wsm improved and here's my cost break down.
Used ss action $400
1lb trigger spring $10
Mountain tactical wsm magazine (Blemished) $35
MPI tactical hunter ultralight stock 20 oz $750
18" McGowen ss prefit barrel flared to
.730 and threaded 5/8×24 $400
$1600 dollars for a 5.6 lb rifle that shoots in the .4s
There are great LR optics out there in the $1000 dollar range like the LRHS2 or Trijicon Tenmile/Credo

There are absolutely ways to reduce costs and have a wonderful tack driver. I've got factory rifles that will shoot .5 MOA at a fraction of the cost. I just went about this with words of wisdom from my GS. He basically mentioned that I should take input from highly experienced people, but most importantly get what you want. I have confidence that the end result will shoot better than I can.
I'm a SFP scope fan. That is what I am used to. Going with Leupold VX6HD. I have looked at options and the combination of weight, warranty, and past experience with Leupold just seems to outweigh the competition IMO.

Defiance Anti x Nitrided = $1513.50
Proof Sendero = $788.95
Mesa Altitude = $634.95
Bottom Metal and Mag box = $335
Triggertech = $185
Rings = $160
Titanium brake = $160
Scope = $2000
Gun Smith Services (chamber, barrel install, muzzle thread, timed and contoured brake, pillar and epoxy bedding) = $860
In the ball park.

There are absolutely ways to reduce costs and have a wonderful tack driver. I've got factory rifles that will shoot .5 MOA at a fraction of the cost. I just went about this with words of wisdom from my GS. He basically mentioned that I should take input from highly experienced people, but most importantly get what you want. I have confidence that the end result will shoot better than I can.
I'm a SFP scope fan. That is what I am used to. Going with Leupold VX6HD. I have looked at options and the combination of weight, warranty, and past experience with Leupold just seems to outweigh the competition IMO.
Do your self a favor, do not compromise on what you build.