The Ultimate Light Weight Sheep Hunting Rifle - What Is It?

Rem 700 ADL in 308 Win. 20 years of Dall sheep hunting in Alaska has been 99 % hiking/glassing and 1 % shooting. At 200lbs live, they are small and easy to kill compared to tougher AK game. Stock rifles weigh 7 ¼ lbs to start. Add an average scope mounted with slings and 4 rounds and the complete, "light" set up is over 9 lbs. Most people don't actually weigh their rifles once complete cause they can't do anything about it at that point. I weigh everything I carry before any trip up the mountain. I plan for 70 lbs of boned meat and 30 lbs of cape and horns on the long way out. To cut weight, I tossed the stock and bedded a 16 oz Kevlar stock cutting a full pound. Then I cut 6 inches off the barrel, another 12 oz off. 16 in barrel still produces 2450 fps at muzzle and over 1000 ft/lbs way out there. The shorter barrel is stiffer as well. I turned down the barrel and wrapped it with carbon fiber, dropping another 8 oz. improving stiffness and heat dissipation. Leopold fixed 6x scope at 8 oz , mounted on aluminum integral base/rings. I fabricated a light sling of 2 inch seatbelt type nylon web attached with paracord, eliminating the steel sling studs and swivels. Heavy rifles need heavy slings. Replaced firing pin and bolt shroud with Alum bench rest options for faster lock time and half the weight. Loaded with 4 rds. this rifle complete weighs less than 6 lbs which was my goal. It is a dream to carry and shoots a tad over MOA out to 300 yds. Fine for a 500 yd rifle. Short barrel doesn't snag like the lightning rods others hang up with in the alders.

The first fall this rifle dropped a bull moose in his tracks 125yds with a single high shoulder shot, my best ram at over 500 yds. laser ranged, and a Billy that took 2 shots. All with factory 168gr Siroccos. Doing all of the work myself including some used components, total price was less than $1500. Other sheep hunters have "borrowed" this for their hunts and some have actually tried to rent it. Latest project is a single shot 25-06 that weighs 5 ½ lbs, is much shorter and takes down for packing without losing zero...

Here is the specs for mine:

Remington Model 700 Titanium
Re barreled with Shilen 22" SS 1-9 twist #2 contour
7mm-08 Ackey Improved
Shilen Trigger
Leupold PRW Rings and Bases
Leupold 3-9 x28 Compact
2 loads 1. Barnes 120 TTSX(HBN) @3250 fps. 2. 140 Berger VLD @ 3000 fps.

Does the 7mm 08 Ackley improve performance much? The 308 case is already very straight? Interested as this is a super set up, fast in a short action.

I think this is as good an option as a $4000 rifle the custom guys are pushing. What is teh final carry weight?

Does the 7mm 08 Ackley improve performance much? The 308 case is already very straight? Interested as this is a super set up, fast in a short action.

I think this is as good an option as a $4000 rifle the custom guys are pushing. What is teh final carry weight?

You can expect a 5-7% velocity increase with the Ackley 40 degree cases. Added benefits are reduced bolt thrust, longer case life as the straighter/less tapered case has less brass flow(less sizing) and case efficiency is off the charts meaning you get a lot of performance with minimal powder. The only thing I don't like doing is fireforming cases. If you have a varmint round it is no big deal as you can fireform while shooting praire dogs etc. But I hate firing round after round down the barrel in big game rifles for no reason other than maybe working on your shooting technique. Field shooting practice is where I do most of my fireforming. A little slow but I try not to heat up the barrel much. The rifle came from Remington weighing 5.25 pounds. (their newer ones weigh more) I used the same contour barrel when changing it so nothing changed there. The scope weighs 9 ounces and the rings/bases I am not sure. I would guess that the rifle with scope/rings/bases and sling is 6.5 lbs. It is an absolute joy to carry. It is important to shoot these light rifles in hunting situations to get used to how they shoot off of packs/sticks etc. It is a little different from a heavier rifle. I think this is why the newer remington titanium rifles are now heavier although I think that their decision was based on the larger/faster calibers being tough to shoot and not so much the 308 case family of cartridges.

A winning combo for light weight and superior accuracy in a "light weight "hunting rig for work at high altitude,would in my opinion be as follows.

Action:Remington titanium or after market clone.
Barrel:Broughton fluted 5C in .264 25-26"
Stock:Mcmillan hunters edge with machined in pillars and full length bedded
Rings/Bases talley 1P/C L/W rings !" low
Optics:leupold 4.5-14X40 A/O with custom BDC
Trigger:shilen
Cartridge:6.5X284 140 berger hunt VLD's @3000fps
Ceramic all over and stainless studs
This combo weighs enough to shoot well from field positions doesn't kick like a mule and hits hard at the longer ranges. see similar package at Cloud Peak Gunworks Home Page

I am currently dreaming about my first build though I don't hunt sheep I was thinking about a lightweight for me 6.5 to 7# with a 2.5X8 VX3 in 284win. I have got a 600 Remington action and I was thinking about a 22'' #3 Hart with a HS Precision stock. I would consider a lighter higher end stock like a Lone Wolf Summit Xl II or a McMillan Edge but I like the thought of no bedding or painting to keep cost down. Would you guys go this rout or would just send it to one of the fine rifle builders on this site an also is this a good combination or would you do something different. Tell me what you think.

Agree, there are many factory rifles which would fit this niche. In addition to the Sako, I'd suggest the Tikka T-3 light in 300 WSM for one. I do think though that the 50mm glass is a bit much given your initial post; the lightest sheep rifle possible. I note gentlemen the likes of Bob Hagel thought the same. I'd agree with the compact Burris or a lightweight Leupold. At the end of the day, as a friend of mine used to tell me, quit worrying about an ounce here and there and get in shape.

I don't sheep hunt nor do I plan to, I don't why I even keep reading this post, because it was started several years ago. I have one of the high dollar Rock Creek carbon wrapped barrels with Stellar action, and Kevlar Stock. I waited a year for the barrel, and It's a dream to shoot. I also feel confident to shoot out to a 1000 yds with this rifle.

The original post stated 500 yds, and maybe this guy didn't have the time or 3500.00 do spend on a rifle. Since I'm not a sheep hunter I pose this question to the sheep hunters. What about a Tc Encore in say a .284 win. or a 280 rem. with a 22 or 24 inch barrel. I'm sure it would weight in at 6 or under, and the one I had 500 yards would have been a pop shot.

I've made a very untradiotional choice for my backpacking/high country rifle:

Rifle: Blaser K95 break-open rifle has been ordered. 2,45kg , 26" barrel.
Caliber: 7x56R propells a 162 A-Max at 2700fps or more
Scope: Leupold VX-III 2,5-8x36

I did think about a Swarovski 3-9x36 first, but its three times the price, and doesn't do the job better. In fact, you can't get turrets on that one, as you get M1 turrets for the Leupold! I also think the Leupold can take more of a beating.

Smack on 3 kg total i reckon!

This is an out-of-the-box shooter! A breeze to carry, and shoots well. Better than a lot of trimmed down bolt-actions.

They even make a synthetic stock for them in Germany: Thomas Nowak makes them. Pretty good, so the fine wood can be left at home..

Last time I went was with an 8.5# a-bolt in 300WM.

Next time it will be with an Ultra Light Arms in 30-06 or 7-08, fixed 6X Leupold with LR reticle. Under a MOA out to the required 500 yards and just at 6#.

gun)I guess wt. and light wt. is up to the guy with the rifle...I have made two sheep hunts..on in Canada and one here in Wy...Both times I carried a 26 in custom barrelled 700 in .300 Win...One ram was taken at 50 yards, but the other at just over 500...I did not draw this year in Wy. and probably will never make another hunt to the north for sheep...BUT if I drew next year, the .300 would be the rifle I put in the scabbard to take my sheep...

Based on the above responses, I have a view different from most. See:

Mountain Rifle for the Rest of Us

And another reason to take along a pack with a scabbard is that it does a pretty good job of protecting your rifle. So your walnut stocked beauty will enjoy the ride without harm.

What comes to my mind is Shawn Carlocks' Sheep Hunter, there is a thread somewhere with one in it but I couldn't find it.
I would have it wearing a Nightforce 2.5-10 with the ballistic reticle chambered in a 270 WSM, kinda give me warm fuzzy felling just thinking about it :D To bad I'll have to apply till I'm 80 to draw a MT sheep tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.