Pursuit of a Light Weight Hunting Rifle

Everyone has their own priorities and desires, but attempting to find the perfect balance between weight, cost, and pleasant to shoot is often difficult. Compromising always seems to be the end result. Lugging a 10+ lb rifle into the back country is not pleasant to me. Shooting a 10+ lb rifle from the bench is great. Shooting a 7 lb rifle in a heavy recoiling cartridge is not pleasant, but wanting a cartridge that will cover the bases is desired. I decided to take cost out of the decision to build exactly what I wanted. Set a limit of 8.5 lb ready to hunt (not loaded). Carbon fiber has helped to keeps the weight down in stocks and barrels. Looked at Titanium actions, but ultimately decided to go Defiance Anti X. Shaving an ounce or two here and there with 24" vs a 26" barrel, Titanium brake, lighter weight scope, etc., has put be at 8.4 lbs or close to it. Decided on 280ai to keep the recoil down to reasonable level for more pleasant practice.

Now the cost is running close to $7K all in with only $2K allotted for a scope. I just thought I would post this to give those pursuing a similar goal some perspective. Im not whining (well maybe a little), just stating this reality. Oh BTW I did not include the cost of reloading components (dies, brass, etc.). Another $600 so far.

Be careful when getting caught up in the "I want that" world of LRH.
Mark, I just built a 280 Ackley very close to what your looking for. My parts are
Defiance long action anti
Trigger Tech special
Ag composite Visigoth
M5 Bdl very heavy
24" Bartlin carbon fiber barrel #4
Talley one piece ring-bases also have a rail
3 port break not titanium
Totally weight of rifle with rings is 7.02 ounces
Cost of the build is $4300. This includes coating all metal, bedding, barrel work, shipping, bolt was nitrated, and all the parts. I had JON BEANLAND build the rifle. He'd did a very nice job, build time was long 1 year. Parts were some of the problem and he does very nice work with the waiting time. I will try posting some pictures of my rifle.
466D1790-A6FB-44CF-B71A-E50F402DD5D2.jpeg
CE4FEF8E-F4B5-4BB0-95EE-B63747DD55BF.jpeg
36AE8713-C10A-4820-8390-053550F3762F.jpeg
5541E9CE-2DFC-49BD-AD1D-0FC2544D02D1.jpeg
292887FE-FAB8-40FD-B5FB-4694FCBD4C6B.jpeg

The pictures of the target were the first rounds fired with 169gr hammer bullets. I had my maganito speed on the barrel so impact changed. But it's very promising. Good luck with your build,
Jason

Everyone has their own priorities and desires, but attempting to find the perfect balance between weight, cost, and pleasant to shoot is often difficult. Compromising always seems to be the end result. Lugging a 10+ lb rifle into the back country is not pleasant to me. Shooting a 10+ lb rifle from the bench is great. Shooting a 7 lb rifle in a heavy recoiling cartridge is not pleasant, but wanting a cartridge that will cover the bases is desired. I decided to take cost out of the decision to build exactly what I wanted. Set a limit of 8.5 lb ready to hunt (not loaded). Carbon fiber has helped to keeps the weight down in stocks and barrels. Looked at Titanium actions, but ultimately decided to go Defiance Anti X. Shaving an ounce or two here and there with 24" vs a 26" barrel, Titanium brake, lighter weight scope, etc., has put be at 8.4 lbs or close to it. Decided on 280ai to keep the recoil down to reasonable level for more pleasant practice.

Now the cost is running close to $7K all in with only $2K allotted for a scope. I just thought I would post this to give those pursuing a similar goal some perspective. Im not whining (well maybe a little), just stating this reality. Oh BTW I did not include the cost of reloading components (dies, brass, etc.). Another $600 so far.

Yes I understand all of that and I have a custom arriving shortly. Not a LW....just a normal 338 looking like it will be 9lbs for close to 5K for rifle and scope ready to hunt. Only reason I did it was because my son wanted to build custom matching guns as no way in HELLO would I spend that much on a rifle.
Like the OP said be careful. I fully believe with some reloading skill or luck with factory ammo a true 1000-1500yd LW hunting rifle is attainable for around 2K with scope. Even well under $1500 if you wanted to. I just went the LW way after getting tired of lugging around a 11lb rifle set up to hunt with brake, bipod, sling, scope. I went with the Savage UL in 28N with brake, bipod, 3-18x50 scope, ready to hunt at 9lb. The bipod alone weighs 1lb and the scope is not a LW. I could shave it down to sub 8lb if I really wanted to. It shoots a 160 into sub .5" all day long at 3000-3050fps depending on load. I have $2200 into it out the door. Less than half the price for a factory rifle. Not a 3K semi custom "factory" rifle.

I had a 6.5saum built 6 years ago. I carry it a good bit but not up mountains so weight was no AS much a factor. I absolutely love the gun for everything but the biggest game which don't live here anyway. I wouldn't take a gold monkey for it and I have a feeling you will be the same. Good hunting!

Be careful when getting caught up in the "I want that" world o

I wonder how durable such a rifle would be, wouldn't ever want to drop it!

Yes I agree on the costs of customs. I also just finished a 280 AI. Bare gun was 6 lb 10 oz. scoped is 8 lb 9.5 oz.
Defiance Deviant GA hunter
IBI carbon barrel light hunter, 23" with 7.5 twist
Paradigm carbon stock
Hawkins M5 BDL
Trigger tech
Vortex (Seekins) rings. Had on hand
NF NX8 4-32 SFP

Good luck with load development. I'm sure you are going to enjoy your new gun. I'm planning to start with 140 AH and H100V in mine. Hoping for 3300 FPS +.

Yes I agree on the costs of customs. I also just finished a 280 AI. Bare gun was 6 lb 10 oz. scoped is 8 lb 9.5 oz.
Defiance Deviant GA hunter
IBI carbon barrel light hunter, 23" with 7.5 twist
Paradigm carbon stock
Hawkins M5 BDL
Trigger tech
Vortex (Seekins) rings. Had on hand
NF NX8 4-32 SFP

Good luck with load development. I'm sure you are going to enjoy your new gun. I'm planning to start with 140 AH and H100V in mine. Hoping for 3300 FPS +.
Sounds like a sweet setup. I've got H4831sc, H4350, Retumbo, Peterson brass, and several bullets (Hammers, Bergers, Nosler AB) to try. Running a little low on LRP, but have magnum LRP in reserves in case I run out. I back ordered the Redding bushing die set and still waiting.

Sounds like a sweet setup. I've got H4831sc, H4350, Retumbo, Peterson brass, and several bullets (Hammers, Bergers, Nosler AB) to try. Running a little low on LRP, but have magnum LRP in reserves in case I run out. I back ordered the Redding bushing die set and still waiting.
Thanks. It came together pretty good. Not sure when I'll be able to shoot it. We got so much snow here in southern Manitoba I can't get to my Range or my bench!!

Mine was close to that....and that is even buying some items from the classifieds.

Bat Vampire - $1855

XLR Element MG, folder, carbon stock/grip- $1265

Trigger - $185

Magazines - $80

Proof barrel - $645

Seekins rings - $150

Gunsmith work - $450

Supressor - $800

Total - $5430

A good (REALLY good) friend of mine gave me a March 2.5-25x52, I just saw one on the classifieds the other day for a screamin deal of $1750, add that in and your at $7180. If you go off of a normal purchase price for that optic, you are around $7630.
Mine also I bought mine from Pierce engineering and he's right in the ballpark with that price. The rifle doesn't seem so bad until you realize you still gotta spend 2k to top it.

Though I could "afford" spending that kind of money on a custom rifle, o can't really justify it for myself. I went a different route. I picked up a small ring Kar98 Mauser or $99.00. Cut off the old bolt handle welded a new one on...$100....26" fast twist X-Caliber turned to my specs...$300...Timney deluxe trigger $100....$00.00 to stock as I had my own wood and $250....for a Leupold 4-14x40 I picked up new on ebay. Rifle shoots 1 hole groups with several different bullet weights and tops the scales loaded at 7.75lbs. Ya don't have to spend a ton of money to have a top shooting lightweight hunting rifle.