Powder & Primer ?'s

3fingervic

I'm starting to reload for a .300wm. I have decided on the 168 gr. SMK's and Winchester brass to start. I would like some advise on the powder & primers.

If you can find them...

Primers

CCI250- I've been looking for these for a couple of months

Remington 91/2M (I picked a box of 1,000 up at Bass Pro the other day. I was amazed to find them and it was the only box)

Whatever someone else recommends

ANYTHING you can get your hands on :) The rifle won't go bang without them.

Powder

The Sierra manual says:

MagPro for accuracy
IMR-4831 for hunting (SMK's are not recommended for hunting)

Both are loaded for 3,000 fps. I assume that the difference is SMK vs SBT and HPBT bullets.

other choices are:

H1000 (good powder for the big magnums)
RE-22 (good powder for the big magnums)
H4831-SC
Viht N165

There's more but those are the powders that I've used

If you don't have a local outlet for powder, Powder Valley is a decent source for online ordering. You have to pay a Hazmat fee for powder and primer shipments so it's not necessarily the cheapest way to go

PS- Berger VLD's are great bullets. Check them out. Sometimes Bass Pro or Cabela's has them. Look for the "pretty" bright orange box.

Thanks for the reply. I live near Detroit, so there are a ton of places around here. weather or not they have what I'm looking for is another story. I'll be on the lookout.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts