Passing on reloading skills

Heres my perspective from the other side, so to speak.

My dad used to reload, mainly for hunting and the challenge/tinkering, when i was a kid, too little to understand what was going on. After a few moves the reloading stuff just stayed in the box and i haven't seen it since, thus i knew nothing about reloading and didnt care too. Now that im 28 and moved several states away from my dad and got a 300wm and realized that i can make more accurate ammunition with a heavier bullet than offered factory and thus began my journey to reloading. A guy from a facebook reloading group was kind enough to send me an older press and some other tools Free of Charge. (big THANK YOU to that guy)

Few days ago I pulled the trigger on my first reloaded ammunition, its been a long journey of gather tools, Components (over-paying for some of them) **cough** primers **cough**. and lots of time spent watching educational videos and reading so many reloading guides and recommendations and sorting where to start with brass and whatnot. The feeling of firing my handloaded ammunition was really rewarding and i cant wait to develop loads for rifles for years to come.

So as someone very new to reloading, Thank you to those willing to teach us kids we appreciate it more than you know. for me it was terrifying to sort out where to start and what does what. Now who's got the hookup on where to find primers???? or powder????? or 215 bergers????
And down the rabbit hole you go.....

My dad used to reload, mainly for hunting and the challenge/tinkering, when i was a kid, too little to understand what was going on. After a few moves the reloading stuff just stayed in the box and i haven't seen it since, thus i knew nothing about reloading and didnt care too. Now that im 28 and moved several states away from my dad and got a 300wm and realized that i can make more accurate ammunition with a heavier bullet than offered factory and thus began my journey to reloading. A guy from a facebook reloading group was kind enough to send me an older press and some other tools Free of Charge. (big THANK YOU to that guy)

Few days ago I pulled the trigger on my first reloaded ammunition, its been a long journey of gather tools, Components (over-paying for some of them) **cough** primers **cough**. and lots of time spent watching educational videos and reading so many reloading guides and recommendations and sorting where to start with brass and whatnot. The feeling of firing my handloaded ammunition was really rewarding and i cant wait to develop loads for rifles for years to come.

So as someone very new to reloading, Thank you to those willing to teach us kids we appreciate it more than you know. for me it was terrifying to sort out where to start and what does what. Now who's got the hookup on where to find primers???? or powder????? or 215 bergers????

Uh-oh! And that is how the addiction begins.

Same sort of thing happened to me years ago. Helped reload shotshells when I was a teenager. In the eighties a guy asked if I knew anyone interested in a reloading press and some other stuff. I bought it cheap and learned how to use it. Nothing has been cheap since that time, but I have not bought ammo from over the counter since that time either. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Same sort of thing happened to me years ago. Helped reload shotshells when I was a teenager. In the eighties a guy asked if I knew anyone interested in a reloading press and some other stuff. I bought it cheap and learned how to use it. Nothing has been cheap since that time, but I have not bought ammo from over the counter since that time either. Welcome to the rabbit hole.
I'm not sure we could ever again use the words "cheap" and "reloading components " in the same sentence. 🤪🫢

I've taught whoever wants to learn. I may not be the best but I'll make sure you don't blow up.
This is kinda where I am. I am proficient in making bullets shoot better than most factory and not blowing myself up. So I teach what little I know to those who show interest. A lot of people know I reload, but few ask many questions.
Many of the younger generation are so busy with their lives, it is hard to prioritize time and space and funds to reload over their young families or just other stuff they want more. Not really unlike a lot of us through out our lives.

My dad taught me. His dad taught him. Someday if I have kids and they show interest in hunting and shooting I'll pass it on to them. The reloading press that is used has loaded no telling how many bullets for us. I think years back the old timers loaded bullets becusse it was cheaper. Maybe not so much anymore but it allows you to fine tune much more and is a fun hobby to have. Keeps you busy in the off season.

If anyone in Arizona is teaching this, I would love to learn how to reload! I'm currently looking at buying equipment and getting started.

It's east of Newkirk
Rifle side has 2 100 yard ranges with 6 benches each the pistol/shotgun side has 2 50 yard ranges with 6 stations each and there is a archery section.
The grand opening is September 14th

Recent Posts