Passing on reloading skills

C-130 Dude

I firmly believe that reloading is a skill that is being lost bit by bit. It's far to easy to just go buy it new rather that attempting it. Some say, "it's the cost of getting started". There's always a cost in anything you do.

But ultimately, the skill is dwindling.

Have any of you mentored anyone? Taught classes? Showed what you know?

I'm talking about "in person" mentoring/teaching only.

Taught a few local friends, even gave some good hand me down tools away. Found out real quick that it's a personality trait that makes it more successful more than anything. Attended an engineering school in college and all the guys who shot reloaded or were interested. Found out if the person is terrible with details and not all that great at impulse control .... that's how you get those epic " I blew my gun up " threads.

Sadly my generation wasn't exactly raised to be mindful and conscientious.... so less safe loading to be taught.

Probably haven't taught any in half a decade. But the little ones in my family are still a few years out

Only my kids.
I can say I had the best little helpers with brass prep!
I hate that squeaky sound and they loved it. I'll pay more for prepped brass. Fact.
Now, I better be thinking about someone new to teach.
I think it is just the way the world is turning.
Well said! But your kids now know. That's excellent!

Only my kids.
I can say I had the best little helpers with brass prep!
I hate that squeaky sound and they loved it. I'll pay more for prepped brass. Fact.
Now, I better be thinking about someone new to teach.
I think it is just the way the world is turning.
Well said! But your kids now know. That's excellent
Taught a few local friends, even gave some good hand me down tools away. Found out real quick that it's a personality trait that makes it more successful more than anything. Attended an engineering school in college and all the guys who shot reloaded or were interested. Found out if the person is terrible with details and not all that great at impulse control .... that's how you get those epic " I blew my gun up " threads.

Sadly my generation wasn't exactly raised to be mindful and conscientious.... so less safe loading to be taught.

Probably haven't taught any in half a decade. But the little ones in my family are still a few years out
But they will be one day. Be prepared.

In 25yrs of hand loading I've only had 3 people be interested/serious enough for a sit down/go over of the hobby.
I recently taught 2 younger guys. Prior to that, 1 guy about 10yrs ago.

The millennials are into hand loading, especially with their 6.5 Creedmoors, LOL, but the generation younger than them...I see where the hobby could die. Those silly noodles only care about TickTok, video games, and being disrespectful cusses.

My son , youngest daughter , wife , son in-law , and buddy all know some of the basics which is better than nothing but they still have a lot to learn.
I preach to them they need to be more involved because I may not be here in the future but they just don't share the passion I do for reloading.

Most people that ask about reloading find out how much is involved and walk away.I tell them it's enjoyable and a great hobby and the only person that stuck with it was my brother who reloaded until he died in 2019.
My son in law wants to learn and we have had a few sessions but he is super busy.He is an air conditioning man and work is over flowing in the summer and slow in winter so that's when we have learning sessions.

In 25yrs of hand loading I've only had 3 people be interested/serious enough for a sit down/go over of the hobby.
I recently taught 2 younger guys. Prior to that, 1 guy about 10yrs ago.

The millennials are into hand loading, especially with their 6.5 Creedmoors, LOL, but the generation younger than them...I see where the hobby could die. Those silly noodles only care about TickTok, video games, and being disrespectful cusses.
This is exactly why I started this thread. To bring attention to it. We need to get the word out. If nothing else, the very newbies would understand that reloading saves resources by reusing cases. Hhmmm...

My water softener quit working,and when the guy came to look at it he noticed all my reloading stuff. He asked if I could teach him. His dad had all the equipment, but passed away before he could teach him. So I told him to bring his teenage son and sat down a couple of Saturdays and taught them.

Also work with a kid that just graduated and have been teaching him.